Woj: Cavs Have 'legitimate Fear' Of Kevin Love Leaving This Offseason

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, May 7, 2015.

1. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ate-Fear-Of-Kevin-Love-Leaving-This-Offseason

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Fear? Sure. The Cavs franchise knows they'll look like complete idiots if they gave up two #1 picks in the draft--- let that sink in for a moment for OH so many reasons--- for a player that leaves the next summer.

BUT here's why it'll happen: Tristan Thompson. They're going to back up a Brinks truck to Tristan's house because he signed with LeBron's agency. He's LeBron's guy. Tristan Thompson turned down 4/48 million so that he could get a bigger payday. Now the Cavs will either have to shell out a 50 million dollar contract to a back-up player AND pay Love or they'll let Love walk reluctantly and then give all that cash to Thompson.

They've still going to have to pay Mozgov who they traded two 1st round picks for... Yup. They're going to have to pay that huge contract to LeBron next summer. Even when the cap explodes they'll be strapped for cash if they pay all those guys AND Love.

I think Love is gone. If the Lakers are there to snatch him up, they will. Otherwise I think he could end up in New York.

thkthebest likes this.
  3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think the best situation for Love is LA.

If he was smart, he would see that New York has too many moving parts at the moment. Sure, we didn't have that much of a better season but we've already laid the groundwork for the future. Randle, Clarkson, a Top 5, cap space.

And honestly, he might even be top dog in 2015 even with Kobe here, whereas in NY, he'll have to cater to Melo. He'll be the top of the pecking order and be able to be leadership voice on the team. LA loves him and he's got that Hollywood personality.

I know people see Randle here at PF, but it's not a stretch that he plays SF. He has the skills. If anything, he plays behind Love and learns from him. Or, we go to small ball lineup with Love/Randle at C/PF.

thkthebest likes this.
  4. therealdeal

Randle would have to go to SF for sure.

The only problem for me is that while I still do appreciate that Love is a great player... he's hurt a lot and if we sign him to a max deal we're suddenly out of cash. Unless we get lucky with a Top 3 pick, we end up with a strangely weaker team than we should have. Love will take all our cap space and we'll be looking for scrap heap players again to play big minutes while Love misses time due to injuries.

It's going to bit of a let down if we end up with only Love this summer. Not to mention that torn labrum means he won't be ready for the start of the season I'm pretty sure.

5. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

my interest level in Love coming to LA is around 3-4 out of 10

Juronimo likes this.
  6. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

I have a "legitimate fear" we max out for this guy. I think he will be the max equivalent of what Lin did for us this year. Underwhelming. I just can't see him working, and do be honest I am more excited about a healthy season from big julius.

No to big contracts for big reputations if they are not twice the player of the next cheaper option.

John3:16 likes this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

And if you do, let it be to NY, ATL, or SA

8. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I hear you. I don't think Kevin Love is worth max money. Now if Lamarcus Aldridge leaves Portland, I'd throw everything but the kitchen sink at him.

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

love's worth max, especially pre-cap explosion. I'd take him, play randle off the bench until he forces my hand. I think folks are expecting way too much from a rookie in randle, btw. it would be different had he played and played well last year. maybe the lakers aren't interested in love. but right now, we don't know what randle will be--or if his foot issue will be chronic. we know kevin love is a double double machine who can hit the three. there's value there, even if he can't guard my house.

TIME and lakerfan2 like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

@abeer3 can't mention potential Randle recurring injury and not mention Love's monthly battle with some injury. If he was durable, it'd be one thing. But he's not. Personally, I don't want nearly $50m locked up in two guys in suits. And to me the juice isn't worth the squeeze -- his game doesn't warrant that size of a gamble when considering what else is on the market.

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Agreed. The salary cap has changed the game, IMO. As I've said before, the litmus test for whether or not we should max out someone this summer is whether or not they can be the 3rd best player on a championship caliber team, because that's what the finances dictate. The list of guys who fit that description this summer is probably about 10-12ish players deep. So while Love certainly isn't at the top of my list, if the choice is between signing him to a max deal or distributing it amongst lesser players, I'd prefer to sign Love. He's the more difficult piece to acquire.

The Danny Green's and Carroll's should not be looked at unless we've struck out on those 10-12 guys who could be the 3rd best player on a championship caliber team.

abeer3 and lakerfan2 like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

love's injuries haven't been to the legs or back, so I'm not as concerned. feet? yikes. I hope randle is one of the few that just gets past it, but lots of careers have been derailed by foot problems. separated shoulder? broken hand? meh.

13. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Love is NOT a max player. Not in the sense that you build a team around him. A great part to have, next to a superstar? No doubt. And to get him, someone is gonna have to spend max. But in a couple years, when we're ready to compete, I believe Randle can be better. Why spend that money on someone we're not gonna rely on when we're ready to compete? Save it.

lakerjones and JSM like this.
  14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

@abeer3 he actually has had back issues this year and missed time because of it.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

grizzly adams DID have a beard?

I guess I meant chronic back problems.

16. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Love's salary isn't that big a deal, even at max. The cap is exploding over the next couple of seasons and Kobe's coming off the books.

17. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    BTW, that doesn't mean Love would be my first options, but I'm not opposed to signing him.

18. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-finalists-how-to-make-a-sequel/

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  19. therealdeal

They have to. Get something back for him and let Thompson be the guy. Thompson makes more sense for LeBron and Kyrie anyway.

So where does he go then? Who wants him for the max?

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    I need to do some fact checkin' on where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure if the Cavs do a sign and trade they are only allowed to go to 85 million and anything over is illegal.

Gonna make it hard to resign everyone + players received in trade.