Why Are There No White Superstars In The NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by sirronstuff, Jun 27, 2016.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham

Don't you hate articles like this?

The End Of Hope: Whiteness And The Stigma of Race In The NBA
    Both home and abroad, the NBA has never been more popular. So why are there fewer white superstars than ever before?

Asthe sports world celebrates LeBron James, I’m still looking for the next Larry Bird. Though, at this point, I’d probably settle for the next John Stockton.

But I don’t want to settle. I want to watch a white American superstar lead his team to the NBA championship. I want it to happen again and again. To be able to celebrate him as we celebrated LeBron and say, without caveat or reservation, that the man is an all-time great — top 10 for sure, and arguably top-five.

I need this to happen, and I believe it can. But in order for this vision to come to pass, we need something else first: For young white players to disown — or, better still, refuse to adopt — the idea that basketball is a black man’s game.

Go to article for more.

2. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

People don't understand this, often, but this here is what racism is.

3. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Ivica Zubac

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    It says great American white players. There have been MVP white players like Dirk, Nash, etc, but they are from other countries.

tada likes this.
  5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Ah okay. Re-read the article and he's got a great point. It's quite eye-opening when you realize Kevin Love is probably the best American white player in the league.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Kevin Love was a key contributor to the Cavaliers and just won a championship. Argument moot.

7. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

Adam Silver

LTLakerFan and tada like this.
  8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

:Laugh:

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not well-reasoned, imo. the argument would be that there's a bunch of white americans out there who *could* be nba superstars, but chose instead to be accountants or something.

my professional field has a distinct lack of black males. i think the argument presented in this article is a great rationale for that: my black male students are not interested in being professors, in part because they don't see it as something they should/can do. changing that mindset could lead to more of these people finding their way into the field.

but this doesn't work for basketball, imo, where the immense physical differences between the average player and the average non-player loom large. the reason doug mcdermott isn't larry bird is not that he didn't have the right work ethic or role models. it's that he lacks the basic skills necessary to replicate bird's impact (in this case, preternatural court vision/hoop iq, and great ball skills).

i find it hard to believe that there's a few 25 year old, 6'10" white americans with great athleticism and incredible eye-hand coordination that are sacking groceries because they thought basketball was a black man's game.

10. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Who cares? We love this league and all that matters is they're plenty of great players. I don't see why it's s big deal if they're white or black.

Snake Eyes and John3:16 like this.
  11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Don't care, we don't need a white American superstar, sports transcends race. It isn't important to me what race or nationality someone is who wins for my team. It may be cool, or a point of pride for that person's home town, or native country, and that's fine, but we don't need it. I guess I really didn't see the guy's point in the end, I'm never watching basketball and thinking boy I wish there was a white American leading this team to a title, that really isn't the point of the sport or any sport.

12. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Doesn't matter.

But if we're gonna discuss race, trivia time: who was the first hispanic player in the NBA? No cheating!

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

horacio llamas, i believe, followed closely by najera. or am i just thinking of mexican nationals? hispanic covers more territory...

14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Mark Aguirre? lol

15. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

No, but really close.

16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I'm guessing Rolando Blackman. lol

John3:16 likes this.
  17. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I think white people prefer other sports like baseball...NBA is more in the black culture.

Why are there no good black swimmers? or great tennis players or golfers (Williams and Woods are exceptions to the rule)?

Also I believe..black americans are more likely to have a "I came from the hood street mentality" and are generally tougher than white guys. The athleticism and strength advantage is also real. They are stronger, jump higher.

Is what I said true? I have no idea. Is it racist? thats BS. It's just my try to rationalize the situation.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

you're being stereotypical. if you have an attitude towards a category (particularly in a negative direction), you're being prejudicial (racist). if you make decisions or take actions based on these things, you're discriminating.

there's actually more validity to some gender and racial stereotypes than people would like to believe. HOWEVER, using stereotypes to make decisions about single cases is a recipe for disaster. i mean, women are generally more sympathetic than men. but you shouldn't just assume that any woman is going to be more sympathetic than any man. this is why stereotypes such as those you present can be dangerous. it's in the application.

btw, the points about tennis, golf, and swimming are exactly in line with the point the author of that article was trying to make. and i think those are appropriate applications. the question is whether simply encouraging more white americans to play basketball could change the racial composition of the nba's superstar stratum. i'm saying no. so, in other words, he's using appropriate logic for some cases, but i don't think it works in this case, for the reasons i listed above.

Barnstable likes this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Steph looks white...I'll just hang my hat on that.

20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

The real question is - why does it matter to have white players?