Troy Daniels Discussion: Signs With Nuggets

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 1, 2019.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Well, he's also undersized, and while he tries on defense, he can easily be exploited on that end...

Same with Quinn...

Barnstable likes this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

True and perhaps that's why they are glued to the bench with this coaching staff who greatly values D. That's fair. But then we should trade them if that's the case.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Or Rob should do a better job of putting together the back end of the roster; RHJ was available, and while he can't shoot, he could defend, move off ball, set screens, finish around the hoop, etc

Heck, even Justin Holiday (I think) was one of the last guys in Free Agency we could have used; Cook and Daniels make the roster redundant.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I liked the Daniels signing, shooter for cheap, something we lacked last year, and I think it was our first signing. I liked the Cook signing too, cheap backup with championship experience. What made these look bad/not as good was then re-signing Rondo after. THAT was the redundant and unnecessary move, could have been absolutely one of the guys you listed instead.

5. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

I agree. But I also think it's unfair to judge Rondo until the playoffs come. He's still far more experienced than most PG's in the league and the playoffs is when players like Rondo can use their skillset and experience to their advantage. I still think back to the Portland Trailblazers series in which him and Jrue completely took out Lillard and McCollum out of the game and visibly outplayed them both. I also still think he's not healthy out there. He just seems to be moving at a much slower speed than he is capable of. Age is likely the factor but after this season, I have no issue with Rondo being an assistant coach for us. He seems better suited for that.

abeer3 likes this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

You shouldn’t have to wait until the playoffs to not play flat out dumb. All Rondo cares about is stat padding, playing for the assist, has been that way for a while. Yes, he can step up and be important in the playoffs, but why wait? Until then at least be competent, but most of the time he’s just not. I’m hoping Collison is in basketball shape and he is a Laker very soon. I didn’t want Rondo back this offseason and I don’t want him now.

7. BangBoomPow

I'm referring to Cook and Troy Daniels. I still think Rondo will be more valuable than either of those two because of his experience and naturally higher BBIQ. He hasn't been flat-out dumb. His shots just aren't falling like it was previously so he's become further exposed.
    This is Rondo before his injury.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/gamelog/2020/#826-838-sum:pgl_basic

This is Rondo after his injury.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/gamelog/2020/#826-850-sum:pgl_basic

The numbers are very similar outside of his scoring. His shooting went from 53% to 37% and has gotten much worse in the previous games.

With that being said, obviously if we get Collison our playmaking and Rondo situation is largely solved but for the playoffs, I think Rondo will prove himself as he had done many times.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i wanted rondo as an assistant coach this year. after we signed him, i figured an injury might force him into that role gracefully. but it hasn't.

again, though, cook didn't distinguish himself early on, so some of that is on him.

caruso basically made it impossible not to play him. cook and daniels haven't.

KB24 and BangBoomPow like this.
  9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    How good is Nina Hsieh, though... if it was still Marco Nunez, I think Rondo would not be this healthy

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

so...thank...you...nina?

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  11. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    hire Marco back just to work on Rondo:LLLLLebronlaughing:

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I gotta disagree, man. The stuff he's doing, the lack of defense, how is that going to suddenly improve...when the competition gets better and teams are playing harder? He's old (in basketball years). Expecting a man who has been garbage for the better part of the last 30 months to suddenly find another gear at 33 is pretty hopeless.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think the idea is that rondo can make a couple huge plays at key moments using his veteran savvy that basically almost nobody else can make. that may be true, but it would make more sense if he was deployed the way the mavs use jjb--every few games for 10-15 minutes when they need a jolt of some sort.

anyway, troy daniels...i don't see how he gets more involved unless say, green gets hurt or something. similar to above, i think he was signed to be a version of the old steve novaks--guys who play sparingly and are expected to just come in and knock down shots, say to bust a zone or something. there's not much value to these guys if they can't come in cold and hit. if troy can't, he should go, as there's no justifying big minutes for him on a winning team.

15. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    great game for him and Cook... I wish we could play them regularly but we're too deep I guess :Dudleyattitude:

16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Knocked down his looks tonight! These guys can really be good when given the chance. Way to take the opportunity, Daniels.

JSM, sirronstuff, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  17. BangBoomPow

I agree. He would be playing 15-20 minutes on many teams. They are sacrificing playing opportunity, haven't complained, and are on contract years so this will likely mean they won't get a huge contract (Quinn and Daniels) next season. This team owes it to win for the players who have sacrificed.

sirronstuff, lakerjones and Cookie like this.
  18. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Him or Cook will have a 10-12 pts quarter in a playoffs game and get his moment of glory

19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Those two guys are valuable. I feel bad for them rotting on the bench.

20. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I like Daniels and wish he could play more, as in every game. I like him better than Bullock when we got him, which the skillset is similar.