The WNBA Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LA Bron, Jun 3, 2024.

1. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Moved this thread here.

Some interesting story lines. I confess that I've checked in on some WNBA players over the years. I tried to get interested in LA teams, especially when they had Parker and Leslie. Strong connections between the Lakers and those teams. But I've never followed the sport, and I've never been much of a box checker either. I have actually watched highlights of Clark's games though, and I'm curious where she'll wind up. She's an absolute gunner with a very high-volume approach right now. She's also good at many things other than shooting really long threes. She's very good for the WNBA. She's like an extra 10k butts in seats when she plays.

There's also the fear that I think Abeer is pointing towards - no one in the league wants a player bigger than the league. They'll feel disrespected and they'll take cheap shots.

There are two other story lines I'll mention only briefly. I think Angel Reece looks like a good rebounder, super active, but not skilled. She seems like she "can't even" right now with Clark. That's a shame, as she could simply embrace a dirty business work ethic and be a very successful player in the WNBA, make tons of money, and win lots of games.

The last one is about culture. I've said before that the current NBA's cultural projection isn't really for me. That's fine. They're not trying to attract people like me to watch (I think). None of those players owe me anything, and that's why I don't watch. They're still rich. I'm learning more about the WNBA in the process, and I see it's not really for me either.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

watching her play, her passing is what really pops to me. can make plays on the break or in the half court, throw off the dribble one-armed lasers with either hand, etc. not common in the women's games that i've seen historically.

what is the nba's current cultural projection?

gcclaker and trodgers like this.
  4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Probably far less tailored to the middle aged white guy than it used to be. I don’t care about sneakers, nba fashion, side chicks, and fake tough guys. That’s fine. They’re doing okay on income without me.

abeer3 likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Really excellent and powerful takes from this guy on Clark being left off the main Olympic roster. She's an alternate. He comes from one angle that all these other stars who many in the US or world don't know, would have the eyes of many millions more if she was on the roster. I'm only a few minutes in and came out to share it's good. But I had clicked on the small icon on side of my screen and hadn't noticed the Griner/Clark headline with the video embedding large now .... no idea there.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

But she's not the current difference maker in the league.. got it.

ZenMaster, abeer3, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I'm not sure I get it tbh. She's not the first hetero white girl who can shoot to play in the NBA right? It's not like she's a supermodel.

What has made her such a media darling to the masses? Honest question.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

again, not in my depth discussing wnba, but i feel like her game is kind of qualitatively different to watch. i mean, sue bird and diana taurasi were probably as big a stars as college players, right (choosing the white woman angle here)? media exposure is obviously different now, too, which allowed clark to become a phenomenon in that way.

i'll just say that my father in law is a huge hawkeye fan (and i went to grad school there), and he was visiting a couple christmases back and was like "you've got to turn on the iowa women's game and watch this clark". and i was like..."or maybe i'll just lie face down on the ground for a while?". but i did, and immediately i thought i was seeing something different.

again, maybe the long-time wnba fans will be like jessie pendersmalls was doing all this 8 years ago; you just weren't paying attention. i just feel like it would have popped the same way for me if it had been going on.

9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

In fairness to her the championship last year and back in the game this year trying to repeat on top of her Steph like mentality and skills from deep plus the passing and breaking the all time scoring record for college women AND men coupled for sure with the explosion of social media. Once the nightly newscasts picked up on all of that it was the perfect storm of exposure for truly remarkable feats by this unimposing looking white player that Bird and Taurasi did not have going on when they came into the WNBA.