The Official Where Is Carmelo Anthony Going Thread?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

^
    The fact that you are comparing this season's roster to last year's roster in degrees of experimentation and also comparing the Boogie signing to
    Beasley... "Beas was emotionally damaged and Boog will play the same role being physically damaged" Really? Do you even read back what
    you type or just have no self-editing mechanism?

Calling the addition of AD, Green, some decent shooters and defenders an experiment in comparison to last year's roster, ok, I get it; any new roster
    is an "experiment" but please, the odds of success have changed markedly.

As for being aware or not of the minutes and/or games played by many of the added players incl Bradley (who's been recovering from injury for some time and entering a deep PG squad), yes, very aware of how much and how well they all played. Not a single dude you named is likely to be slated for very heavy minutes nor likely needed to be. And if 1/2 of the roster is remaining from last season that means 1/2 the roster is gone and that's called a shake-up. With the exception of Rondo the guys brought back (LBJ, Kuz, McGee, KCP & Caruso) were great and fit well. I'm not worried about how many minutes the guys you mention can play, at all. I am concerned about center position a bit until another decent backup is slotted in though It will occur, it's just a matter of who.

"And if you can't see the benefit to Melo over Dudz in terms of purely bball and keeping Bron juiced for the real season, then we got nothing more to debate."

Oh ok thanks, as if it's not overwhelmingly clear where you got your opinions regarding that from. You and Royce White keep flying the Melo flag though.

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

You know what's facts? This team is new and by definition experimental.

Half the dudes is new to each other. New leaders in the FO. New dynamic duo that's never played with each other. New coaching direction and rotations. s***, even with the injuries to Bron last year, even he knows he needs a new approach into moving different to making it back to the playoffs healthy. He's gotta do all that, without a ballhandling point like Kyrie, which is why the narrative came out this summer that he'll be our lead guard playing a Magic-type role.

But the Melo experiment is too much for this roster that "clearly" ain't. Sure.

Also according to you, Melo isn't a name that we should experiment with in terms of giving him a new role, but Boog is clearly a "non-namer" that isn't trying to find a new role to navigate through with his injuries before the ACL took him out. Really?

You think Rondo is the wrong signing this summer, yet the dynamic between Rondo and AD is not experimental.

And I'm the one with the mechanism haha. Okay...

Btw, outside Green & Caruso, essentially you have every one of our free agents that signed this summer on 1 year deals via player options & non-guaranteed deals. So the 1-2 year cap plan is still in place. And even if we liked to keep those dudes on our non-experimental roster, they can dip next summer if they want to. Hey, but keep using whatever mechanism to see it the way you want to see it.

And let's run an experiment...forget Royce, was Dudz on your radar this summer before we signed him?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    :ADnaughty:

It's like you don't even watch basketball if you are asking this question.

:Carusoshaka:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  4. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

^
    Good point Caruso played over 25 mins 12x for us last season, his numbers were:
    34.4 mins over those dozen games.

14.42 pts
    4.3 reb
    5.5 asst
    1.5 steals
    .467 FG%
    .485 3PTFG%

His overall #s on 21.2 mins were:
    9.2 pts
    2.7 reb
    3.1 asst
    1.0 steals
    .445 FG%
    .480 3PTFG%

His efficiency went up on everything with the higher minutes. Rebounds per minute, assists per minute, steals per minute go way up showing he's more engaged in defense with the extra play, and 2P 3P FG% are up. (sorry, steals were 1.5 not blocks)

Maybe a small sample but it's the kind of numbers I want to see with a PG playing on a LBJ team, efficiency and most importantly being able to play off-ball which is an ability not a lot of PGs have.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

6. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    So, are the Clippers experimental too?

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. vasashi17

Of course it's experimental cause they got a new duo that has never played before.

However, to what degree is it experimental?

They have the same coaching staff and just added Lue who has had rapport with Doc. Our coaching staff was forced together by our FO and has not had that previous familiarity with each other.

They got more players from last year returning than our 6 and those players all know their roles with that coaching staff (ie Lou and Trez are glorified 6th men with Doc).

Their FO hasn't changed, while ours has (ie Magic and West out, while Rambis gains more of a voice).

But with all that said, f*** the cLippers.. they're not worth my energy. Seriously if all this energy is to keep Dudz over Melo, then go right ahead and knock y'all selves out. However, Bron wanted Melo...

Kuz holds Melo in high regard and would want to play with him...

And AD and Melo are familiar with each other....

[​IMG]

Forget the word experiment and let's focus on the word experience. Melo has that in spades over Dudz.

But if you want to keep arguing how Dudz is more right for the team than Melo, go right ahead. I just disagree.

8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I would say the roles for the returning players on the Clippers are changing greatly. It’s like Boston last year vs the year before. No way those guys get the same touches or freedom they got this past year.

abeer3, alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. vasashi17

I think load management will dictate their rotations during the regular season, but I don't necessarily disagree with you. There is going to be adjustments for all the newly created duos (BK, Htown, cLips and potentially Miami if they trade for Cp3 or Beal). But one thing all those teams have is familiarity in coaching (which is one reason I didn't like how the Lue thing shook out).

But seriously, my energy isn't for those other teams... it's for us and how we can be better. It's no secret I wasn't a fan of how the 2yr cap plan shook out. I was going for 2max via cap and potentially a 3rd via trade. I would have much rather had all our assets and Bron/Kawhi or Butler right now, since I feel AD could have been had with our assets and a major push by Klutch.

When Dudz and Daniels were added with the vet min, it was assumed at that time that a max guy was coming, cause it wasn't like Dudz and Daniels had a robust market. So why commit to those guys so early.

I wouldn't mind Dudz, Daniels or any other vet min guy as long as a 3rd max guy signed. That would make sense, since we had to round out the roster around the big3. Melo would have been just another talented vet min guy on that potential team.

Instead, we used our cap and then some to go 3 deep in our SG rotation: Green, Kcp, AvBrad (played all of 1% at PG last year for both the clips and Grizz...dude is a SG), rounded out by Daniels, THT and 2way Novell, while playmaking options to relieve Bron of those duties was left to Rondo and Caruso, while AD was only backed by Kuz at PF and the center position had unproven starter Mcgee along with Boog who needed to come along slowly due to his injuries.

Locking up roster spots for Dudz and Daniels early in the moratorium was an extreme reach, especially when the 3rd max guy wasn't even locked up yet. There really wasn't a market for dudes and if they went elsewhere, was it really that much of a loss where we couldn't replace them with other options in free agency?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Cookie likes this.
  10. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I was not getting into the debate, just trying to understand what your comment about the Lakers being an experiment was. I see what you are saying, however I would point out that nearly every single year, every team at the top is an experiment. Certainly Toronto was last year and look where that got them. But you make a really good point about continuity, something that we clearly do not have at this point. We have torn this team and FO apart and rebuilt it all. But of course that IS exactly what everyone was calling for over the last few years. It finally happened and now THAT'S the problem. We are condemned no matter what we do. That is just a fact. Not sure what the hang up is with Melo. I am personally not against him, the players are not against him. There is something behind the scenes that is making the owners and FO decision makers back away from him. I'm guessing he has done something that is not apparent that really upsets the owners. Past that, I don't know why he is being passed on.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. vasashi17

I disliked Jim/Mitch but I wanted to give Magic/Rob a chance to see their vision through. I supported our FO wholeheartedly last season knowing that this summer was going to be the true test to seeing if they really had the chops for the gig. I'm a Magic guy, but this was never about Magic vs Rob for me. If dude landed Kawhi, Butler or Kyrie and traded for AD... He's the man. But we struck out and I didn't like how we utilized the cap we accumulated for the last 2 years. Magic could have still been here and I would have hated giving nearly 30m and 4 roster spots to SGs (Green, Kcp, Av, Daniels) that can't really can't play onball and help lower Bron's usage rate over the regular season or keep AD at his preferable 4 spot by playing the 5.

Either way, I hope that explains my position on the matter. I was in full support of the new FO cause I'm a fan of Magic and pre-agents were starting to demand trades to LA after the regime change, so I felt Nagic was good for those Laker vapors again.

Obviously we came a long way from MozDeng, but I don't think we landed our plan A and I'm just not a fan of our contingency. If Magic was still or not, the summer was a let down for me even though we entered the small group of legitimate title contenders.

12. vasashi17

So Boog might get dropped, in which case...
    Btw, Joe Johnson also needs some consideration to back up Bron and lead that second unit.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Why did this get beamed back to the NBA forum if he has a workout with us scheduled? Did he sign with someone else?

14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’ve read nothing about a workout with us. That snippet says he’s working out in NY and the Nets are interested in him. I hope he signs there, seems like a good fit, seeing as it’s not here. As for Melo being “linked” to us and the Clippers, pretty sure that was by his agent.

15. vasashi17

Lakers are in the recent report by the Athletic and it was in Lakers Discussion before the report.

Why even move it till it's confirmed he signed elsewhere? We had a Bron, AD, Kawhi, George, Artest, etc thread in Lakers Discussion while they were signed to other teams. Melo is a free agent.

Weird flex, but hey we get it...you don't want Melo haha.

16. LTLakerFan

With an in shape and motivated by many personal things .... all conducive to what might help a lot ... the Lakers' success this year .... Dwight Howard, and now a slot opening up for Boogie's soon to be suspended situation IMO, an apparently in great shape and similarly motivated with similarly conducive benefits to the Lakers this year especially with size and shot creation capabilities ... I am now suddenly very intrigued with Melo. Vash has me talked into it. If Iggy becomes available .... far as I'm concerned .... goodbye Troy Daniels (?).

17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    we hate Melo but we abhor Dwight more, I wish we got Melo:dwightcrying:

18. LTLakerFan

Did you not see Dwight with his shirt off, muscles glistening with sweat, drilling step back J's and traveling like Harden on his spin moves in his thread in Lakers Discussion? He will be better for us than Cousins would have been.

[​IMG]

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I didn’t move the thread, I have no idea who did, it was surprising to me as well, I immediately went and looked to see if he signed elsewhere because I had seen a video earlier about him being linked to the Nets. It’s possible it was moved because we signed Dwight and have no roster spots open at the moment, but that’s just a guess. So yeah, not a flex at all, bit of an overreaction on your part though, no?

abeer3 likes this.
  20. vasashi17

Whoops...my bad.

You were the first staff member to respond to LT about it with some reasoning, so I assumed it was you.

Anyways, whoever did it with their Melo-dramatic motives, still remains a strange flex haha.

I would welcome dude here to add to our frontline depth for sure. He appears to be in great shape too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.