Tarik Black Discussion: Returns To Houston (p. 37)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by JSM, Jul 19, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah because offensive box plus/minus is the only way to determine a guy's value. Not to mention you cherry pick it off his worse second season under a coach who didn't like him.

In his first year where he earned more than twice the playing time he got under an idiot like Byron Scott he had a TS% of nearly 60%, he has a TRB% of 17% which is strong for a backup Center, and he's athletic and mobile. He had only four games last year playing more than 20 minutes per game and yet his dbpm and obpm are better than Speights who played 350 more minutes. Go figure.

Barnstable, tada, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    "we've been around that bush before."

[​IMG][​IMG]

abeer3 and trodgers like this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I didn't cherry pick...i used the most recent results...and how you gona call out scott for black lack of pt and yet still use blavk better #s which was also under scott? Of course black has a high ts%, all he does is dunk on offense

4. therealdeal

I used the same numbers you did to better support my argument that your point is invalid. I also don't see the problem with him dunking everything on offense. Is he supposed to be a stretch five? His best asset is setting a pick and diving to the rim for a dunk. Why would I hold that against him? Do you hold it against DeAndre Jordan because all he can do is dunk the ball? Tarik finishes around the rim at nearly 60% and his effort and energy are contagious. You simply don't like him, but that's okay. You don't have to. The Lakers like him enough and he's going to be our backup Center this year getting probably around 15-20 minutes a game which is what he deserves.

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Dj does suck on offense....cousins has a much lower ts% than dj, nobody is gona say dj is a better offensive player than cousins. Even with a high ts% black is net negative player, plus minus does not correlate other factors just nearly takes into acct of what current 5 player is on the court. My opinion is that he doesn't deserve what he got paid and not everything mgmt says or does is the gospel, they been plenty wrong.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Before Scott doubled down last year with his suckitus, and with Houston early his rookie season ..... Tarik first year out of college.

Cookie likes this.
  7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Dude theyre highlight reels for reason, hell everybody hates young, i can show you highlights of his greatness too

8. therealdeal

Patently false. His skill set makes him an asset offensively despite not having a variety of moves. Just ask Team USA.
    I will. DeMarcus Cousins, despite his talent, has never had a season in the NBA where he shot greater than 50% from the field. For all his talent and various abilities, he's woefully inefficient for a PF/C in the NBA. Just because Cousins CAN do more with the ball, doesn't mean he's doing it. I'd prefer to have DeAndre Jordan than DeMarcus Cousins.
    According to what metric? The one metric in which a player you desire more performed worse in?
    Sure and in that category Black outperformed Speights (and I haven't checked but probably a handful of other backup Centers as well). You decided to bring up the box minus scores.
    And like I keep saying: that's fine. We can amiably agree to disagree about something.
    That's not the point of what I said. The point is whether you like him or not, he's got that money, he's got the backup Center role, and so yours and mine opinions on whether or not he deserved it are sort of moot at this point. Same as the argument for or against Mozgov's and Deng's deals. Sure we can complain and get upset, but at the end of the day it's done. It's over. It happened and we should all just try to come to terms with that reality and move forward constructively (even if that means disagreeing with what got us to that point).

Barnstable and scnottaken like this.
  9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Does Dj get double teamed? Does Dj shoot jump shots or take 3's? Your argument doesn't seem to take anything into context at all. Just black and white but yet you want me to believe Black is good merely based on ts% and plus/minus which doesn't take into acct. what they do on offense or what happened during the PT they do get. We've seen bad players have better plus/minus than the star player on the same team when said team win/loses, does that mean the backup role player was better than the star player? Dj ts% doesn't mean squat offensively, if you need offense from your C 1on1 you're telling me you're taking Dj over Cousins? You can't score a bucket on PnR lob dunks on every play. Put cp3 on the Kings and I bet Cousins ts% goes up, take Cp3 off the clips and make Dj the focal point of the O and tell me his ts% stays the same as it is now.

10. sirronstuff

11. LTLakerFan

Yes, but highlight reels also show levels of athleticism, coordination, dexterity or not finishing with off hand, soft hands, whatever. If, especially in a rookie season, these kinds of successful moves are pulled off nicely even in just highlight clips, it means they are there with the player capable of being built upon. Boron last year did NONE of that with Tarik. Hey Luke likes him and now we will "see" what he really has or not. But don't use last year as Scott's stink was on the whole team. I trust Luke's opinion. He could have asked Mitch to keep Bass instead. Luke likes Mozgov as well. Just sayin'.

12. therealdeal

Nope.
    Irrelevant.
    On the contrary the entire reason I like Tarik is for what he provides for our team. You've got no argument for why he sucks. You just dislike him.
    Box Minus was the stat YOU chose to use. I turned it back on you and now it's not a good metric to decide whether or not he's a good player.
    True. So why did you think that was the best way to measure Tarik's effectiveness in the first place? My argument was that it wasn't a great metric. I provided some more evidence that you're wrong about Tarik not being a good player. Since then you haven't provided another argument for WHY you think Tarik is a bad player.
    That is not accurate.

scnottaken likes this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the advance metrics I provided for black is better indicator of his true impact on the court, your stat you provided ts% and plus/minus are more of a "box score" metrics. While I agree with your point that whats done is done and we have who we have doesn't mean we all have to agree everything mgmt. does is right and everyone of our players are good-great....I don't have any personal feelings towards Black, I just don't see what you guys see, I mean this is a guy like you said got 4 gms of 20mins+ and managed to get 6mill, doesn't sound right to me just like how I don't see how a guy avg. 7/4 in Mozgov getting 16mill/yr out of no where. Market dictated Mozgov but I cant accept that explanation for Black.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  14. LTLakerFan

How can anything last season with Black be any kind of indicator for him since Boron completely f***** him with playing time for no discernible reason? And Boron had offensive and defensive schemes that sucked donkey ****s for when he did randomly get put into games every once in awhile with no chance at having any kind of rhythm or improvement over the year prior. He unquestionably looked better his rookie year.

alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Boron was also the coach who gave him those minutes after he got cut from Hou.

16. LTLakerFan

That's my point. There was a level of play to be built upon. It's just like what he did to DAR and Randle when they were starting to step their games up in late November, early December. Whoa .... not so fast .... you're on the bench now. Completely jerked with their progress.... no help to them. Effectively killed Black's 2nd year .... forget about not helping him.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

weird that context is being argued in posts that followed blind adherence to a single statistical metric of quality.

i liked what i saw from black in houston and from what i saw when he was utilized properly in la. his contract is hardly an albatross if he doesn't pan out. brandon bass wasn't going to drag this team to the playoffs, and marreese speights' man-breasted a** was going to do less.

Barnstable and scnottaken like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

19. sirronstuff

Man breasts?
    :Hungryfordoom:[​IMG]

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

man breast Speights has actual nba skill needed in todays offense, a stretch offense from a big. I fail to see how the hell Black "earned" a 6mill pay raise.