Tarik Black Discussion: Returns To Houston (p. 37)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by JSM, Jul 19, 2015.

1. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

a 27 year old rookie center that averaged 9mpg? it's not often that 7'3 guys can hold up to play extended minutes. So yes, Black is definitely worth $6M. we're really going to compare Black's defensive rating on 2 awful defensive teams to Speights on the best defensive team? ok then.

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

det is a contender? and if we're wasting money, then throw it at legit C not a undersize PF posing as a C. I bet Zubac will start eating Black lunch during practice

3. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Yeah, Boban is really amazing in the court. But it's unclear how much he can play. If he had a more proven health record, he'd have gotten more and more years.

wallangong likes this.
  4. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Let's hope. That's great news for us.

TIME likes this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Speights def. rating his last year at Phi was 104...is that better? all you given is opinion with no facts to backup your argument.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

You mean the same Speights who played on teams that were ranked among the best defensive teams in the league, maybe all time? You really think Speights is responsible for that alone? The fact that Black had a better Offensive Rating than Speights last season while still in the same stratosphere defensively despite their two desperately different situations says it all.

I'm sorry, but not wanting Black is one thing. Wanting Speights over Black makes no sense whatsoever. Black is a superior player to Marreese Speights.

JSM and TIME like this.
  7. wallangong

and facts based on incredibly limited sample size aren't really facts at all.

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

paying 6mill for the same small useless sample size is also not good practice either. IF you're gona tell me we paid black for "potential" i'm gona die laughing, its backup role...limited sample sz is plenty to use.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

wait...someone wanted speights? NO. that's a championship-shine desire if i've ever seen one. be like someone wanting slava back in the day.

and i wasn't as gaga about the spurs giant as everyone else. obviously, neither were they, as they went about their offseason business without prioritizing him.

i like black. i thought byron not playing him was the biggest of many mysteries last year. apparently, the FO agreed, as it has been reported and as evidenced by the contract.

and i'm guessing black tears zubac to shreds for at least the length of his contract.

RasAlgethi, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

please, with what offense? All black can do is dunk, and some of these post makes it sound like luke, shaw or mgmt. can do no wrong in regards to who they want or do not want here. I'll accept the mozgov rationale but for black? Seriously, dude hasn't done jack squat to earn that $6mill salary even if we dont pickup his salary next year.

11. wallangong

Can't wait for the season to start so we can bump this.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

and I'll gladly do the same when he's fouling players left and right, getting beat on transition D and beat in general on D and on his way to another incredible 5/4 avg.

13. wallangong

last year Mahinmi averaged 9/7 with 1 block over 25mpg?
    Black projects to 7/8 with 1 block over 25mpg?

Mahinmi got 4 years $64M
    Black got 2 years $12.5M

Is Mahinmi worth nearly 3 times as much (per year) as Black? In this economy, 5/4 for 15mpg is actually good value. I'll gladly take that

Weezy likes this.
  14. therealdeal

Actually I like Mahinmi a lot, but yes that's a ton of money for him and he also has some questionable health issues I think.

15. wallangong

i like Mahinmi too. I was just using him as a point of comparison to illustrate market value. Tarik's deal is certainly in line and I think with a real system in place on both ends of the court that he can provide even more value.

16. therealdeal

Tarik's deal was the most he could be offered under his Early Bird Rights. It was a show of good faith after jerking him around last season AND it was a fair price. I see Tarik as our Ezeli. Ezeli is a bit bigger, but Tarik is all kinds of more smarter. Ezeli got 8 million so he's even less than that below market deal (assuming Ezeli is healthy which I don't think he is).

wallangong likes this.
  17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Tarik is an old school PF. This means that he's really without a position at this point. He's either a PF who can't shoot, or he's an undersized C. He's fine if he's running PnR on O, but he doesn't have a jumper, and he doesn't have a great post up game (30th percentile last season; maybe he can do better in another system, but whatevs). I like him, and I think he's a good backup at the 4 and 5, depending upon what we're doing. I don't want him to be first big off the bench, however, and at this point in his career he shouldn't be counted on for that.

Mahinmi doesn't play a lot of minutes, but he plays a lot of games - decent for a big. He's not a good offensive player, but he's efficient; he is, however, an exceptional defender. I would've paid Mahinmi Mozgov money.

wallangong likes this.
  18. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    He is an undersized center.. And in our system, I think he's going to prove to be a great player for the tasks that we ask him to do. He's a fantastic athlete, and IMO, VERY fluid for his size. I wouldn't close the door on him developing a consistent 10-15 foot jumper/floater.

Man, I'll never forget when we first got him and literally was an absolute animal on the floor.

Luke's going to be smart enough where he's not going to put Black in a position to get exposed&be a liability.

I'd put Black on the Draymonds, Deandre Jordan's etc of the West.

19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I understand not wanting Black. He's an undersized 5 with limited offense but he brings hustle and energy on the boards and defense.
    But wanting Speights over him is outrageous.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Makes sense when you factor in the salary difference and speights def rating was still better than black prior to his gsw tenure....it easy to get a high offensive rating when all you can do is dunk, dj has a 60%+ fg does that mean hes a great offensive player?