Talen Horton-Tucker Discussion: Growing Pains

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by The Rock, Jun 20, 2019.

1. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

I agree. If Lakers pull up some sort of Westbrook deal, such as for Rozier and Hayward, things could open up for THT, just with the subtraction of Westbrook.

Example:

PF-James / Anthony/ Gabriel
    SF- Hayward/THT/ Johnson
    C-Davis /Howard
    PG-Rozier/ Nunn
    SG- Reeves/ THT

In that second unit, THT becomes the focal point, and is surrounded by shooters at all times. Rozier/ Nunn actually ideal point guards to put next to Lebron/THT.

2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Not with Vogel as the HC. Rozier and Hayward are going to be in Lebron's way in that offense too.

3. Slick2021

Any kind of deal with Charlotte makes sense. Jordan's a cheapskate, all he wants is that 47 million dollar expiring contract. Everyone except Ball can probably be had.

4. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

Rozier and Hayward can shoot so the they'd be better fits than Westbrook easily. Vogel is being fired most likely as well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    FrontOfJersey22, JSM and abeer3 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no idea what the first part means, and no idea why two guys who can dribble and shoot are in anyone's way in any offense. neither is exceptionally ball-dominant.

FrontOfJersey22 and JSM like this.
  6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I’m glad to see THT have a break out game last night. That said I’m just not sure about his future here. I guess we’ll see this summer.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i didn't see the game, but i've seen his highlights, and it just sorta looked like him. this is why i've said all year that if we traded him, he'd put up numbers elsewhere and everyone would whine. the question is whether it makes sense for us to try to work with/around him or whether we need to move him to a team that has a glaring need for his skillset. my only concern is that with lebron aging, THT is a nice stand-in for rest games and such. i really think with westbrook gone, we could find more ways to use him on offense, and he becomes worth his contract (maybe more).

anyway, the 40pt game didn't change much for me. i say the same when lesser players score 40 elsewhere (like hart and covington this year)--somebody had to score last night.

and putting up 40 can at least put the "he sucks" talk to rest.

8. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

He has a future if the lakers get rid of Westbrook. He has too similar a game but at this point I'd much rather have THT who has the potential to be a very good defender and you can manage him unlike Westbrook's ego

Can't emphasize enough he's a guy who needs spacing (just like Lebron) but this team instead brought in a guy who destroys spacing more than anyone in league history perhaps.

9. Slick2021

That Vogel's offense stinks period and they would be underutilized under him too. They aren't " defensive " guys either. He'd find a way to f*** it up.

However under a different coach..yeah this could be a great idea. Excellent even..they are under contract for 51 and 54 mil per for the next two seasons. Hopefully they won't have any injury issues.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol ok. it's amazing vogel's got a ring and multiple conference finals appearances considering he's such a dunce.

FrontOfJersey22 and JSM like this.
  11. Slick2021

Ha...then Lue is frigging outstanding according to that criteria huh?
    He didn't get that ring due to any kind of brilliance of his own.Those other conferences Finals appearances came early in his tenure. He's been pretty much subpar except for the bubble.

Anyway we don't have to worry about helping Frank out anymore soon. Maybe he can join Wiliams Lue,Nash,or Kidd's staff and learn a few things about running a modern NBA offense.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i love that your weird obsession with vogel just spills everywhere. i'm sorry he's as good a coach as tyronn christ. you just have to handle this.

anyway, THT doesn't suck. i stand by it.

13. Slick2021

Lol..maybe you can start a " Hey guys do you miss Frank Vogel yet?" thread next season No Talen doesn't suck...Frank kept that under wraps for the majority of the season though!.. LOL

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think frank just demonstrated that it wasn't him keeping it under wraps.

but i'll keep this to THT since i'm not weirdly obsessed with vogel.

we'd have been better and THT would have been better if we didn't trade for westbrook. discuss.

Cookie and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  15. NickthaQuick

Vogel's offense? You mean Lebron's offense. Lebron pretty much runs the offense where ever he plays. That's still pretty good when he's in the lineup and surrounded by complementary pieces but bad when he's injured which is more often than not it seems now.

Even Lue in Cleveland just heavily relied on his creation along with Kyrie when he was there and just surrounded them with great shooters. As soon as Lebron came here to LA, what happened to Lue? 0-6 with the same core that was just in the finals (minus Lebron) and he was fired.

Everyone needs to accept that as long as Lebron is here, he will run the offense. The team will just need secondary ball handlers that can shoot to make things as smooth as possible. Even If a knew coach comes here, he will let Lebron run the offense.

FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, almost everyone knows that...

Cookie and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  17. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

1. Vogel will not be here.

2. 2020-2021 NBA mean USAGE rate for a PG was 22.3. This season, Rozier is 23.2, which is just slightly above average.

3. 2020-2021 NBA mean USAGE rate for a SF was 17.5. This season, Hayward is 20.7, which is slightly above average.

4. I would not be too concerned with this, because in contrast Westbrook is 27.3 this season, (and that's playing with two stars). Two similar perimeter players such as Monk and Melo are 19.8 and 20.4 respectively. In Charlotte, last season Monk was 23.8 and in Portland last season, Melo was 23.1. So usage is relative. However, If Rozier and Hayward could not shoot, then it would be a different story. But, they are both excellent shooters. In addition, 80% of Rozier's career three-point field-goals were assisted, which is way above average for a PG. 85% of Hayward's three-point field goals are assisted, which isn't to bad, considering he was featured as a focal point at times during his career.

18. Slick2021

Well Kyrie split and Lebron carried some borderline garbage to the Finals in his last season there. Not sure what Lue was supposed to do with that squad, sans Lebron and Kyrie. When he had Irving, they ran sets catering to his game a lot too, Lebron adapted and let him do his thing. Kyrie didn't like Love for some reason, that could have worked smoother but to hell with Cleveland, I'm talking Lakers.

Lebron has has missed how many games in the last two seasons? We run the exact same offense when he's out..for two seasons in a row. Dennis complained about it, Westbrook said that he never had a sit down or discussion with the coaching staff at all about his role here period. This was in December, Vogel didn't contradict that one bit. In fact he admitted that it was "complicated" due to James and Davis doing the alternating.."I'm in street clothes" bit.

I like Lebron, his track record is outstanding when he's healthy. I give him his due, he brought AD in too. That first season he seemed to go out of his way to spoon feed AD a lot. He and Rondo both. Not so much last season or this one, maybe it was due to AD not being himself. The stamina is waning, and the body isn't what it used to be. He's going to miss games, a transition has to be made. I don't think he respects the staff enough to change up anything, he doesn't even get in the huddle a lot of times. So I agree with you, I just think he'd be more open to a guy that could actually produce a plan to do something else. Back on topic with Talen, I think he would do well in Snyder's scheme, Mitchell dominates the ball like James. AD tho? IDK

19. Slick2021

I'm open to anything with a new coach. It depends on who that turns out to be. Personally I'd rather see Russ moved for another big man, not more perimeter players under contract for at least two seasons. I believe that would benefit AD more than adding more shooters. I'm not worried about what James needs, he will adjust to another big with similar offensive skill to Anthony geat IMO. We probably won't go in that direction tho, so anyone with a good offensive mind is great for me as the next coach.

20. NickthaQuick

In addition to that, they are both good free-throw shooters. The Lakers hardly have any reliable FT shooters with AD's demise from there.

Cookie likes this.