Ryan West Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by KB24, Jul 27, 2019.

1. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm sure Ryan is gunning for a GM position. Unfortunately that currently belongs to Rob for the foreseeable future.

It really friggin sucks because Ryan was a huge part of our draft success over the past few years, but I'm sure he'll have more opportunities elsewhere and gain some GM experience with another team in the meantime. Hopefully he'll make his way back to us in the future after learning a thing or two on another team.

Silver lining, if he ends up as a GM on another team, he can be our IN as someone to work with down the road if we need to make a trade. Look at Presti and the guys from the Clippers front office, basically just handed them PG without any give.

SFGOLDRUSHER and alam1108 like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

"handed"? okc got a record setting amt of 1sts lol

SFGOLDRUSHER and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think the relationship helped keep things quiet and the tenor of the conversations amiable/productive. it's what cost us at the TDL with NO's incompetent bunch, imo. had griffin been there then, we'd have had AD in february. had we had a good relationship with someone inside, we'd have had him for less.

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

maybe the "less" part could be true but how does that relate to okc/lac relationship? Clipps certainly paid almost as high if not higher price than we did for a lesser player on paper anyways

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Not sure—bidding wasn’t open. Would Washington have given Beal? Probably not, but stuff like that has happened with other forced trade attempts.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  6. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Hey @lavar-is-trash ! Good to hear from you.

See my post from another thread below about what happened. There's more to the story but I haven't had the time to poke around yet. The Ramona tweet which you shared that came a little later actually confirmed it, just in a more politically correct way as you very astutely pointed out.

7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Trash picks are trash, no matter how many you got ;)

SFGOLDRUSHER and lakerfan2 like this.
  8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the clipp picks that are owed to OKC are post Leonard/PG opt out time frame, if neither come back LAC is F'd

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, but tbh, if you're not tanking, it's unlikely that a pick will be high. so lac is just committing to not tanking for a few years. protected 1sts are such a joke, imo. even unprotected 1sts require crazy luck to be more valuable in the end than a solid mle signing.

in short, picks are overvalued and have been for a long time. if being a lakers fan for the past decade-plus hasn't proven that, i don't know what will, actually.

i'm thrilled our future lotto tickets morphed into anthony davis instead of more balls and ingrams and hope.

SFGOLDRUSHER and Kenzo like this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

our staff hasn't been top notch to get the best out of what we had and the overnight change in approach after signing James made things worse (as far as expectations goes). Den/Por created organic contentions, so did Bucks. Maybe AD becomes what Leonard did for Tor but Tor wasn't some non lotto team, they were established and just needed a better #1 to get them over the hump.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Ryan West was in charge of the scouting dept right? Saw him leaving when we started drafting outside of their work. Started when Magic and Rob were running the show. Wagner, Bonga were Magic's picks and THT being a Klutch client...

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think den/por as actual contenders is a stretch, imo. and each team basically hit big on one draft pick and then ok on some others. and neither got there by stockpiling picks (philly style) as i recall. and the bucks drafted giannis and...that's it, right?

the point isn't that first round picks can't be great. that would be a really stupid point. the point is that their actual value almost never exceeds their perceived projected value.

everyone is still killing the lakers for the nash trade. what did they really lose? mikal bridges or someone else they'd have drafted at 10 that year? they just signed four players better than him for similar cash.

go get the proven player. let the have-nots talk about kicking everyone's a****...later.

ugh. wagner and bonga when it seemed like our scouts were in on robinson and melton. while i've ridiculed the notion that wagner/bonga were assets we wasted (lol, no), had we gone with our scouting department, we'd probably still have hart and a pick or more left over due to robinson's trade value.

stay in your lane.

SFGOLDRUSHER, LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Joining the hallway enemy

sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

big shocker there. still think it was a bad move not to try to keep him.

alam1108, tada, Barnstable and 5 others like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I never liked the guy.

:SadPau2:

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

hes not gunning for a gm spot if he went across the hall...more like not getting the credit n accumulation he rightfully deserved for his role here, instead promoting/hiring inexperience peeps like magic. rob and the goat Rambis

17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I get that with the AD trade, we lost some draft capital and prospects will be hard to find at the college level. So Ryan has to go elsewhere...

But Ryan is aware what the cLips gave up to secure Kawhi, right?

On a side note, our FO lost a Johnson and a Logo this summer...and they tell me everything is kosher up there. Sure.

One thing about this summer that we should have learned from...you need more bodies in free agent driveways if you want to have a proper contingency plan in place.

If Rob was waiting on Kawhi, you need to have Jeanie, Kurt and Jesse waiting on plan B, C & D...and if they don’t want to do it, you can’t let folks that are akin to driveway access, leave for across the hall.

Btw this is the moment Ryan knew he was out the Laker loop...

Damn Bron & AD, you couldn’t properly dap up dude?

18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    His brother Delonte didn't get along that well with Lebron either.

:Kobe Snickering:

19. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Got along with Lebron's Mom so that's something.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Never understood the hand wringing with Ryan West leaving. You can’t expect to keep your job when your daddy is working across the hall and is trying to kill your franchise. Once Kawhi signed with the Clippers, Ryan’s days were numbered. It was inevitable.