Russell Westbrick Discussion: Clipper Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Oh boy
    That would be interesting.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wait ....what? Is he already doing his angry Russ interviews with the press after games giving those kinds of answers read between the lines it's not his fault again? Because clearly they are going to have to bench him and severely limit his minutes in crunch time. Would not be surprised if it starts tonight against Sac Town. Fox will eat him up.

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

No, not yet, my comments were based on his comments when he got to the Clippers about how great it felt to be somewhere you felt wanted. Like I get it, but it’s your fault for sucking, and also screw you for going to the across the hall “rivals”. It’s only a matter of time before we see interviews about how it’s not his fault if they keep losing though, it’s never his fault.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

agree mostly, but i think if it goes south here, he's done. like done done. he didn't think this through, as i was intimating above. in classic russ fashion, he only saw the upside (i'm going to win a title with the clippers after the lakers didn't appreciate me) but didn't see the possibility that things could go poorly and he could end his career in utter shame as a punchline. not even lee jenkins can put lipstick on what's happened so far in clipperville.

i don't think you're going to see any russ redemption unless the clips start winning with him as part of the formula, and i'm super dubious about that proposition.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

He had a big game tonight, loss wasn't his fault, but...

The mistakes are so loud. That one was costly.

Just the facts, ma'am.

Hmm...I wonder why they're turning it over more lately. That's strange.

6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Has a a big game when Kawhi is out. Sounds familiar

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Seeing a lot of Westbrook stans on Twitter/Reddit blaming Gordon for that play. Acting like there was no reason for Gordon to even make that pass.

But am I wrong, or is that 100% the correct play to make from Gordon? He was about to get trapped by three players on the sideline. That’s a recipe for a turnover leading to a fastbreak. He has a good angle to get it to Russ who was WIDE open, who could have then dribbled out more of the clock and swing it to another teammate to shoot the free throws.

Now the execution was bad, that legitimately was a bad pass by Gordon in the sense that it was too high and you shouldn’t have to rely on your teammate to jump to catch a simple pass… but Russ still absolutely should have caught that from the angle we saw.

8. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Gordon had to get rid of it because he was about to be trapped; threw it a bit too high to Brick, but Brick should've caught it. If he catches it, Clips probably win the game.

He did not catch it.

0-5 for Clips in the Brick Era.

9. LTLakerFan

Even if subtle like this game …. it’s at strategic moments such as that missed pass near the end, and it’s effective! >>> 0-5. “Trojan Russ”

:Magic Brows:

10. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

11. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Westbrook taking responsibility….what a concept.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it's starting to get in his head, despite his best efforts.

13. LTLakerFan

:Laugh: ….. and the old bait and switch hook yanked and set! One relatively great looking game from Russ being Russ and now poor Lue can’t send him to the bench or all hell will break loose. He’s got to be feeling that “Vogel” heat now. :clap: :rofl:

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.
  14. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

I saw that after I posted about the game and thought I should've given Brick credit for taking responsibility but figured ya'll saw it by now anyway.

When I read the quote I thought, My gawd! He copped to screwing up! He's actually quoted as saying, "That's on me." (!!!)

Then I kept reading further for the Russ boilerplate BS. Something like:

"I took my eye off the ball for a second. I should've caught it. I was going to drive for a layup to ice it."

[Reporter] "How do feel that fans are starting to blame you for a five game losing streak?"

[Russ boilerplate] "Just trying to be aggressive. Trying to create plays where I can be aggressive."

[Reporter] "So you don't think you carry much blame for the Clippers sinking in the West since you got here?"

[Russ boilerplate] "I do have a lot of confidence in guys in the locker room and tonight was a good step in the right direction.”

[Reporter] "Do you think you'd be more comfortable coming off the bench here, like you did with the Lakers?"

[Russ boilerplate] “I thought I did a great job of it in the first half, second half still, we just didn’t make shots. I had opportunities to get up the seam and make plays and anything I needed to do, and I just missed some shots too.”

[Reporter] "Do you feel the added pressure of being thrown into a starting lineup of team that's now fighting to stay away from the play-in?"

[Russ, same ol' same ol']“The enthusiasm from fans and just the support, that they have, not just for me, but for the overall team was great, and hopefully we can be able to keep that going as the season goes along and I’ll do my part by playing as hard as I can, when given an opportunity.”

I took all the Russ "boilerplate" quotes from actual things he's said to the press since he landed with the Tenants across the hall.

15. LTLakerFan

Well that reporter was being a total d*** just trying to goad him.

16. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

The reporter was me, acting on behalf of us Laker fans. I'm the total d*** trying to goad him. The responses were all taken from things Russ was quoted as saying in articles by LA Times Clips beat reporter Andrew Greif. I was taking liberties asking Russ Qs that no reporter would ask - at least not in that way - and yet would seem to be legit Qs. I highly suspect but of course can't "prove" that if someone asked him pointed Qs he'd still respond with boilerplate.

If any of us could ask him Qs, and we were ballsy and cheeky, we'd ask him stuff like that? I'm assuming few of us would want to be face to face with him in the locker room and ask, "Why do you poison every thing you touch now?" Or "How come you couldn't fit in on the Lakers to the point where they'd seemingly do anything to dump both you and your $47 million salary?" Or "Why do you think the fans were booing you?" Or "Do you think you've lost your shooting touch?" Or "You had twice as many turnovers as made field goals outside the paint. How would you assess your performance?"

17. LTLakerFan

Oh!! LOL!! :giggle: :p

abeer3 likes this.
  18. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Both teams played hard. :LLLLLebronlaughing:

19. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

I miss Rasheed Wallace. What a frikkin' character. Especially Jail Blazers 'Sheed. Picked up Ts quicker than Draymond, and like Dray, was at least colorful in being a problem with the refs and reporters.

Playoffs, Game 4: Blazers down 3-1 vs. Mavs, 2003: 'Sheed, after the game, answered EVERY Q from the press like this: "Both teams played hard, my man."

Maybe Russ needs to invent his own version of this classic "Eff you" to the press. I know if I were he I'd do so.

Juronimo, abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

Just had a thought. How crazy is it after the Lakers suddenly dumping Russ into Vogel’s lap and the monumental disaster of a season that turned out to be and got him fired …. that Ty Lue minding his own business doing his thing, and now out of the blue (pretty close to same with Frank) the vaunted Clippers FO and deep pockets and Jerry freaking West do the EXACT same thing with the same player and now put him in the SAME impossible position. Did his 5 year deal ever get extended? If not his contract must be just about up if the Clippers need a fall guy. Enjoy the heat Ty. Russ may have cost you that win in real game ending time last night …. but he royally screwed you with one of his truer Russ Of Old more impressive games. Now you can’t not start him for how many more games? How big are “your” balls?

Popcorn time to follow this in the media. I’ve tried to watch about 2-3 quarters over 2 games and have had my fill of watching them. Especially Paula. Something about his face I don’t like. :D :swear:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Juronimo and Cookie like this.