Russell Westbrick Discussion: Clipper Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I don’t want him back. I wouldn’t re-sign him at the minimum. Just not a crunch time player.

2. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Can't really blame him here. He's doing what asked for him and everyone knows he's has brain cramps in crunch time. Also not his fault his coach loves small ball

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  3. Weezy

I’m not blaming him, I just don’t want him on my team, now or next season at a discounted rate. He’s a HOF player, coaches cannot help themselves and bench him when it’s winning time. You have to take that decision out of his hands and get him off the roster.

Zoyd Wheeler, TIME and lakerjones like this.
  4. Pioneer10

That we agree on. I actually grown to like him but want him off the team as soon as possible.

The lack of gravity just kills your halfcourt offense when defenses lockin

TIME likes this.
  5. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

He was never, lol the whole KD debacle was so clear cut. At no point in time should Russ be taking the last shot, clutch shots or momentum changing shots.

Lol these youngins on discord are so quick to change heart when he has a couple good games. Pelinka needs to get rid of him as soon as possible, I have no confidence in our FO atm.

6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We got spammed by the Russ Stans after the Milwaukee game.

Truth is: for as many games and moments he's been impact off the bench, he's had just as many WTF moments.

This is why I didn't come in here after the Milwaukee win. I wanted to see how he did on the rest of the trip and the team for that matter.

Let's see if he can play better in Detroit.

TIME likes this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

8. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

You can’t count on him to make enough smart plays down the stretch. The issue is some of other guys aren’t much better. But I’d still prefer to close with Reaves and Walker always. Just missing that last guy we can count on. Not sure Schroder is it. But I know Bev isn’t.

9. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Okay, was previously getting on board with keeping Russ. But I get it now. The flashy moments of production we’ve seen from him for a lot of this season IS a bit of fool’s gold.

He’s been great at pushing the pace and swinging the momentum for us in early game situations. Getting out on the fast break, getting easy buckets.

But that OT basically resembled a playoff game. Slowed down, half court game, against a good team locking down on defense. It’s a completely different game. If you can’t shoot, and you no longer have the athleticism to reliably finish at the rim when everyone is gassed, what good are you?

Westbrook is simply a liability for us when the game slows down like that. And unfortunately I can’t trust Ham to simply not play him in those scenarios. So Westbrook’s presence puts a ceiling on our potential for a playoff run.

Gotta trade him.

(And yes I’m fickle and may flip flop back to the keep Russ side the next time he has a good game and I delusionally buy into the hype lol)

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

next phase is he sits crunch time. if he's ok with that, we've reached the stasis. if he's not, he's gone.

11. Pioneer10

Needs to be traded ASAP: just way too unreliable. For every great play, a d****** TO.
    He's got my respect for buying into this role, appreciate the speed he plays with, good passer but the lack of shooting, the lack of off ball defense/cuts, and most importantly just the carelessness makes it you can never trust him

abeer3 likes this.
  12. LaVarBallsDad

Russ Stans with Russ singing, "you can't break my soul..."

JSM and abeer3 like this.
  13. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

He ain't happy

abeer3 likes this.
  14. Weezy

Can only hope we’re nearing the end of this. He’s done his job pretty damn well off the bench, but his salary can net us some good players, certain trades net us a huge TPE as well. He isn’t going to be here beyond this season, we need to build something that will. Just can’t be relied upon to close games, his game doesn’t work in the playoffs either as mentioned. Make a move.

15. Pioneer10

No hurt feelings: glad for him the LA crowd came around to supporting him and deservedly so. He brought in but his flaws as noted come out at critical times and his fit remains poor.

You can't play the Philly defense with a league average shooting at PG

16. Pioneer10

Honestly Russ is hard not to like this year. Good for him to get his career back on track but still needs to go. He becomes unplayable when the game slows down in crunch time.

Not really surprising as Vogel came up with putting AD and telling him to stay in the lane vs ⬅️ s*** him down. Still I thought he played a good game overall: can't really blame him for the loss and deserves credit for the comeback

17. Weezy

Reminds me of the Philly OT, AD got one shot in OT, I think I read maybe even one touch in all of OT

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm torn. russ made two big time plays to start OT and then...went away from it. it was weird and no one has really commented on it. boston didn't change their approach after he hit his second tough layup. both times he attacked his guy was playing off him, he just took it all the way in anyway. why did he stop? be curious to hear him tell it, but he never treats the press with enough respect to actually analyze the game with them.

so by torn i mean about the game last night, specifically. i don't put it on him. lebron got pound heavy and missed threes, and AD missed crucial fts. i was more annoyed with ham than russ.

as for whether russ has to go, i'm still not sold that it's the best route. i need to see a trade better than any we've seen so far.

bev/nunn need to go for whatever we can get. the fournier/reddish deal needs to happen. my hope is that it's been waiting on jones being able to be moved with him as part of the deal.

lakerjones likes this.
  19. LaVarBallsDad

He probably should have been sitting for the overtime.

We're playing 4 on 5 when the game slows down and teams just sag off of him.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  20. Pioneer10

Celts told their C to play him without a foot in the lane. So that gave Russ the open 3 or the pull up 3. The big that deep makes it very hard for Russ to get a clean look at a layup and it keeps the Center as a rim protector if he drops it off.

We have now have two OTs evidence of this is that he just a huge liability when team have their best defenders in and the game slows down. If he's off the ball, just kills the gravity and everyone b****ing about the plays it more about the personnel the corner 3 defender can play free safety.

Really like Russ as. 6th man but he remains a guy with who the Lakers have can't finish games. It's too bad but they need to move him not just because you can take a lot of salary and players in. You need to make sure the coach doesn't fall for the trap of playing in clutch time

Helljumper, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.