Russell Westbrick Discussion: Clipper Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 29, 2021.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    nothing can happen for a couple of months right? This is how desperate fans are for good news after having such a crappy team, that we are actually spending time crafting trades already. These are sad times.

Juronimo and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Won't happen, bro.

The forum will be excited to get rid of Westbrook (including Lakers Twitter), overrate the players coming in, and they'll be complaining when they miss time/suck.

It's par for the course.

And believe me, Hayward will miss a large chunk of the season. Will we be better? Maybe. Marginally.

I'm not opposed to the deal, but we need to be realistic.

I am interested in the draft compensation part that Pincus has mentioned, though.

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

So that’s the thing here I suppose. When I say the team being better I mean not missing the play in game more than being instantly true title contenders. At least based on just the one move of trading Russ.

Some guys are going to be doom and gloom either way. Nothing ever seems to make them happy. It is what it is.

Hayward had a horrible injury and can’t be expected to play a full season so we’d need some luck there that he could be good to go for a playoff run. But I can live with that even though I know why others can’t.

And are any of these guys stars who instantly put us in the drivers seat for another ring? No.

But could they be solid contributors and a step up from what we have now? I say yes.

A lot of work has to be done to get this team back to being a playoff team and we don’t have a ton of options. We will see what Rob can do. He’s got to show he can navigate some difficult waters to get us where we need to be.

abeer3, JSM, LaVarBallsDad and 2 others like this.
  4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I rather have no Westbrook unforced turnovers, side board hitting shots and no defense, so even if Haywood misses time, it’s a positive just to get rid of Brickowski

Juronimo, Cookie, JSM and 4 others like this.
  5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

You're limited with what you can do when you take on a player that's making a ton of cash who's hardly on the floor.

That means you have to nail all the moves on the margin especially with respect to minimum guys you'll have to bring in.

I think we have guys here that are locked in that can fill in the back end of the rotation, but we need to be pinpoint on our needs and fill them out accordingly.
    Again, not excited about the Hayward deal, but I can see it happening.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

I was going to post something like this, but took the words right out of my mouth.

I just wasn’t Russ away from this team. Hell even loul deng him, anything is better than Russ on the floor for your team.

This man doesn’t deserve to be in the NBA at this point. I don’t see how any GM or owner would allow this inefficient narcissistic cancer on their teams

It would be great but damn Is Charlotte really going to get Russ and take the ball out of lamelos hands?

russ is probably the only few players I’d wish he’d retire as soon as possible. Black ball this man from the league, he has enough money.

Juronimo and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  7. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

There is good and bad news here. Our team was so bad this season, almost anything we do will make it at least some better. At this point just watchable is a big improvement. I'm not opposed to trading Russ for any combination as long as we don't screw ourselves yet again on the cap. I'm also not opposed to just keeping his expiring and see what is available at the trade deadline or next off season as long as he isn't around the team. We can let our young guys develop and if AD is healthy we could actually make the playoffs. I don't see it as wasting Lebron's last year, hopefully last year, because we aren't going anywhere anyway with Lebron as our main guy. For reasons stated many times so I won't bore you all with them again. If we get the right coach, incredibly big if, that can massage Lebron's ego and convince him that by accepting the number two role, still a big role, focus more on defense but still be an offensive factor. Convince him he can still win another championship and pass Kareem before he retires we have a chance. Who would this miracle coach be? Maybe some reincarnation of Freud and Pavlov? I'm not sure. I know Phil is not going to coach but maybe he can at least pick Lebron out a book to read. I would prefer Sam Cassell as our coach as he is known for being a good communicator and relationship builder. He was a hardnose player, he has paid his dues and is deserving of a shot. Plus he is not just a retread ready to blowout. Just listening to his interviews would be worth it. JB, I hope you are reading.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

This is over the top dude. It might generate a few likes around here, but it's straight over the top CAP.

9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

We won a Championship because of Lebron James. The Finals MVP. We have Anthony Davis because of Lebron James..the guy deserves more respect than he's getting around here all of a sudden IMO.

Kenzo and ElginTheGreat like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm very curious to see what happens with westbrook. loon3y's take sounds over the top, but what do you think russ fetches on the open market if he's bought out? which team is happily pledging a starting spot for him? i'm being serious. name them. i can't think of one.

Juronimo likes this.
  11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

The Wizards didn't want to trade him in the 1st place. It depends on who is looking for a PG. This stuff about Russ being washed is ridiculous. If you are talking about the guy being bought out? He will be in demand around the League. He can still ball, he showed that in Houston and in Washington and he played well here to finish out the season. It went left here for a couple of reasons imo, but this guy isn't washed at all. Like I said elsewhere, the media seems intent on bashing this dude, the teams he played for don't. The coaches he played for don't, and the players he played with don't either. It's a curious thing, a narrative continually surrounding a person, that gets rebuffed repeatedly by the the people that actually worked with him. Yet it still persists...I guess everyone is lying but the media.

Anyway...I'm not adverse to bettering my team, but I disagree with wild notions about giving away talent and draft picks just because. Russ at a discount is good for the Lakers too. I don't think the guy will have any problems finding a home if he got bought out. Dumb a** idea on our part to do it though from my perch.

12. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

Still a great player but his influence on personnel has really hurt us.. The AD move was good but not the Russ one. We can't compound mistakes sacrificing more of the future to salvage the end of his career especially since he's been available for about 65% of the games the past two years. I don't really see how that gets better as he ages.

I do appreciate the ring but it's a shame injuries derailed our shot at a repeat.

svtzr, abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

We'll see what happens this upcoming season but I truly believe that Injuries to Lebron,AD and Nunn had a lot to do with Russ and his fit as well. AD pointed that out specifically. Maybe Kidd was missed this season, he was a non shooting Hall of Fame point guard too. Vogel and Russ was not a good combination.
    Back to Lebron, I'm not ready to count that man out just yet. He most definitely needs AD to be at his best next season. It's the stamina more than anything with James at this point to me.

svtzr likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i asked for names of teams. you provided zero. you really think washington wants him back? who's looking for a pg and wants to not win a lot?

and he's pretty washed. really can't believe you're arguing otherwise. he was bad this year on both ends of the floor. teams dared him to rack up stats, too. just didn't guard him on most possessions, and i'm supposed to be impressed with 19ppg on low percentages and 7apg with 4 TOs. and our team just being worse with him on the floor in general.

anyway, i'll believe my eyes and the stats, and you believe non-existent interviews with former coaches and teammates. not to mention the teammates that brought him in a) tried to get him traded midseason and b) got pissed at management and threw a fit when he wasn't. but yeah, they all think he's doing great!

15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I don't think you know what you are talking about honestly, and probably didn't actually watch a lot of the games on this subject. I didn't see any team not trying to guard him, maybe you can point out these games and let's watch them then. I have every Lakers game recorded. Lol you are just spitting out some generalized chatter right now, nothing specific but " my stat" etc. You obviously have a different idea of what washed means because you thought Gasol was still a high end 5. Lol. Yeah dude it's real easy to avg 19/7/7 in the NBA . Any old scrub can do that right? Piece of cake.
    Name those players and coaches that you speak of too, I'd be interested to see who they are. I mean if the guy is this bad you should be able to drop a few names with direct quotes.
    That diatribe was just as bad as LooN3y's. Also CAP

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I'm not saying Russ was out there killing it this season. Still...some of this vitriol spewed towards the guy is some total BS.

17. Meezy22

Meezy22 - Rookie -

not killing it lol, he was terrible unforced turnovers missed dunks and layups let's not mention the shooting and free thows

Toklat, Juronimo and Cookie like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no. i'm told you're just spewing generalizations.

gmafb.

Toklat, Meezy22 and Cookie like this.
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    For a guy who has every Laker game recorded, I'm genuinely curious how you could miss that. Almost every three point shot he bricked this year was a wide open shot.

Toklat and Cookie like this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Well I'm bored...Let's see KD on Russ recently. https://www.google.com/amp/s/fadeaw...ell-westbrook-is-not-a-superstar-hes-an-idiot

How about Paul George

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...rook-made-him-better-which-good-news-beal?amp

James Harden

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ta...n-on-russell-westbrook-he-is-our-leader?amp=1

Bradley Beal
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutch...rook-slander-is-pissing-off-bradley-beal/amp/

Scott Brooks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...brook-saying-he-should-stay-wizards-coach?amp

There is already a post on here about AD saying that the big 3 didn't play enough games together in his opinion, but the media and fans tried to dump everything on Westbrook.

It doesn't sound like many actual players agree with the media narrative that surrounds this dude. I tried to find some player or coach talking about how washed he is, perhaps someone else can dig it up.

Anyway I guess we'll all see what happens soon. I would like to see some stuff backing up all this crap toward him this season from players or coaches. Feel free to let it rip.