Roy Hibbert Discussion 2015-16: No Buyout

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LALakersFan4Life, Jul 4, 2015.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

LaVarBallsDad, abeer3 and Weezy like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Why would a reporter say that? Hibbert seems like a nice guy.

He's not a very good player anymore though. If he's back, it's in a strictly limited role player capacity for sure.

3. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

So long Roy. If there's one thing I can say about you, it's that you fall down a lot. Enjoy Charlotte.

sirronstuff and scnottaken like this.
  4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Roy Hibbert fell down signing his contract with the Hornets.

LTLakerFan, JSM, alam1108 and 6 others like this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Roy was a good teammate and a total pro here, even when his minutes were messed with like everyone else's. I wish him luck, no bad feelings at all. He wasn't right for us, but I hope he finds his game again.

6. therealdeal

I think the reality is the game has blown right past him. He doesn't have the strength and post game to force teams to double team and he doesn't have the speed or quickness to keep up with young, fast players these days. Tough for the poor guy I know because he was always a great teammate. I wish him the best.

I'm happy he got an opportunity somewhere.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

hard to believe the game changed that much in 4 years. the reality is that indy had ideal personnel/system for a guy like hibbert to be his best. maybe no one else does. but that doesn't mean he's much different or the game in general is much different. fit matters.

8. therealdeal

I do not see the same person from Hibbert that he was as an All-Star and neither did the Pacers. They gave him away. Something changed in him and he doesn't fit as a starter in the NBA anymore.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I had some expectations from Hibbert...nothing unreasonable but at least be a contributing factor on the floor. That did not even transpire. Yes, Hibbert is a shell of his former self which wasn't much to begin with. He had that one breakout season followed by the meltdown in the playoffs...

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for taking the kids paintballing, being a good teammate, and locker room guy.

Won't miss your on the performance. Best of luck.

11. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

Hibbert is horse mounted cavalry trying to stay relevant against Panzer tanks in the current NBA climate. Mammals vs dinosaurs.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

if you truly believe this, you should be unhappy with the mozgov signing and the zubac pick. this is my point. roy had a moron coach and a terrible system. we blame scott for all of the young guys' problems, but don't extend that to the vets? did indy have roy catching and isolating 17 ft from the basket? ever?

13. therealdeal

I agree with your point, but I also think that Mozgov is a better player than Hibbert is. Hibbert at his All-Star level was better than Mozgov, but at this stage in their careers I think Mozgov is definitely a better basketball player (assuming he's healthy).

14. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Reminded me of the chief -
    Robert Parrish

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Roy had nowhere near the offensive coordination around the basket of either of those guys with both their hands. For a guy that tall that has played basketball that long he had some of the funkiest "throws" at the basket I've ever seen. That's a real important part of the game I think.

16. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Then why is it Hibbert sucked his last year in Indiana? As well as the postseason in 2014 and really the second half of the season. The system doesn't have much to do when a guy can't catch, can't finish, can't run, and for the most part just a liability on both ends of the court. There isn't a place for Roy anymore. Zubac and Mozgov may not be super mobile or athletic, but they can at least rim run, block some shots, run pick and roll successfully with D'Angelo and Jordan, and have some decent moves down low.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

because they were already transitioning out of what they were doing when he was good?

are you arguing that, prior to his last year there, he COULD catch, finish, and run? no. he couldn't. but he was an allstar. why? because they had just the right personnel and system.

and we do not yet know if mozgov or zubac can run the pick and roll with russell. my whole point was that if hibbert was a dinosaur, then mozgov and zubac could be, too.

i tend to think hibbert's not a dinosaur. the lakers just sucked big, fat, hairy balls last year. in all ways. pinning it on hibbert is sort of hilarious. not that anyone is doing that, exactly, but hibbert looked like hibbert to me. it's not like he was agile and quick during his best years. he's very tall, pretty smart, but slow and really uncoordinated. the latter gets amplified when your entire team and system is just utter garbage.

again, as dinosaurs go, all the good teams still play (relatively) plodding big men. so the idea that we're entering the age of paul millsap (or even al horford) at center is silly to me.

thus, in sum, i'm fined with mozgov, as i think he's an upgrade from hibbert. but to think they aren't the same type of player...

i also just don't think it's fair to pile on hibbert. he was a pro last year. didn't demand out when things went bad, didn't b**** to the press, didn't point fingers. had the lakers decided to bring him back as a reserve, i'd have been fine with it.

18. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

I don't see anyone pinning everything on Hibbert, but for this team in this era he just doesn't have a place. We have so much athleticism and youth now there just isn't a place for someone who struggles so mightily to finish plays even when he's literally spoonfed. No matter what system is in place he would've continued to fumble Russell's passes. He would've continued to be too slow to rotate. He would've continued to be exploited because of a lack of quickness and lateral movement. You talk about the system in Indiana and yet he struggled there his last year and a half there. Why? The game is simply too fast for Hibbert now. There's a reason Indiana had to make adjustments and changes to what they did prior. Hibbert just couldn't be that anchor from them or be effective enough offensively.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the game didn't fundamentally change in one year. if you believe that, i have a bridge to sell you.

indiana changed how they wanted to play.

that's david west on the situation, basically saying that what had changed was the organizational culture, not roy hibbert or the game.

thkthebest likes this.
  20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Bumped from out of nowhere!

http://www.tmz.com/2018/07/17/roy-hibbert-nba-future-lakers-moving-on/