Roy Hibbert Discussion 2015-16: No Buyout

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LALakersFan4Life, Jul 4, 2015.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah we can play him for 20-30 minutes a night dependig on the opponent. But it's good to know we have a big we can finally rely on.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

pacers just signed jordan hill guess they need offense

if j.hill would have stuck to what he did when he came which was rebound evry ball and score off misses i'd still like him but he fell in love with his jumper and forgot everything else

like ive said before i was ok with giving dj the max based on his defense so to get a (hungry) hibbert in a contract year to be our rim protector is amazing

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

And of course the Clippers with DJ back. Welcome to booing and signs about your character and mocking, in every arena you play in this year DJ, except maybe home games.

4. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Jordan? Inside game? Yeah...and I'm an astronaut. Lobs don't count...

therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

This acquisition obviously isn't on the same level as when we got Pau, but I still can't help but get a very excited about getting Hibbert on our team. Looking at our potential starting five and we're looking quite stacked. Of course they stil have to play the games and get acquainted with one another but we seriously have two things that we've hadn't had together since...the 80s? A solid point guard who can distribute and score and a solid center who can defend and score. I'm feeling good about our chances of making some noise in the west next year.
    Oh and welcome to L.A. Roy!

6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    With our fan base, if he has a good to great year he will be voted in. Just shows the power of the Purple & Gold fan base.

Magic and therealdeal like this.
  7. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I feel he will be good for us.

gcclaker and therealdeal like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

Oh. Whoa. My bad. I see your point. But having a smarter dude that is taller than him and as strong, even if not quite as quick....will help some against the lobs too. In past years since way back when Bynum was healthy or Pau when he was still capable and motivated, a DJ type big guy all game long would kill us. It's so "fab" to have a BIG man again!!

9. LTLakerFan

People in China will be calling him the black Yao Ming. (desperately needing "flipping eyebrows guy" here)

10. Magic Skywalker

Magic Skywalker - Rookie -

Even if our fanbase is huge, I don't think he has a chance, honestly. Not with this new frontcourt/backcourt voting setting. There's way too many frontcourt stars in the West.

11. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Hibbert is good, but he isn't going to punish teams on the offensive end for going small against the Lakers. So there will be some situations where he can't be on the floor because he won't be able to rotate out to shooters, but he is still going to be a valuable rim protector.

12. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

True, but he's a good FT shooter, so he won't be an absolute liability during crunch time situations like D12 and DJ.

The only real problem I worry about is whether he can run fast enough for transition defense. Most of the western conference teams have 7-footers, so I think he'll be okay.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    revgen likes this.
  14. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    This cannot be understated. Guys that have to be subbed out because they are a liability late in games eat timeouts and the hack a whoever takes teams out of their offensive rhythm. DJ shot 2 times as man FT in the same minutes in the playoffs. That's why. In close games that's a killer.

Hibbert is one of the better free throw shooting bigs I can remember. He's not going to overpower anyone but if he gets 32 min/game he could easily get 12 and 9.

15. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    And 12/9 with good defense is more than we have been able to expect consistently in a long while. Bynum was always a shuffle step from a leg brace, but he came closest. I'm excited about Hibbert.

16. revgen

trodgers likes this.
  17. Kosstick

Kosstick - Rookie -

I feel he had the pau situation where most of us felt pau still had it but he wouldn't play to his capabilities on the lakers as he was jaded and he needed a Change of scenery desperately

JSM, trodgers, Chillbongo and 2 others like this.
  18. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    What a difference the regular season and the playoffs are. he was great in the regular season. Looked scared against Cleveland in the first couple games he played in. Didn't he used to be good on offense? Looked awkward and scared when he had the ball vs Cleveland.

19. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Nothing against you JL17 but this graphic just set me off...haha.

How is anything we did this offseason "magic wand" worthy, let alone the Hibbert deal. Dallas just got sent to the cleaners by FlipflopCity and still pulled off Zaza (at a reduced expiring salary) for a future 2nd rounder. Not to mention, Zaza is equal to Hibbert in defensive ratings (based off last year) and at his reduced salary, we would still have cap to target players that possibly could be part of a future core. Instead, we got Hibbert, aka Lin 2.0, and it makes no sense on this roster since all our young guys will possibly be let loose, while Roy will be drowning in molasses.

If we're giving anybody a wand, its that guy RC, or maybe he should go by JC, the way he's river-walking over in San Antonio. The way he's avoided luxury taxes while maintaining SA as a title contender is the way we should have been doing it. Mitch's most noteworthy brush-stroke is the Gasol deal....till that move Mitch has done nothing to maintain West's championship roster. All Mitch has done and will continue to do is wait for an opportunity to occur. Kobe demands to be traded to Pluto and Mitch waits till Bynum goes down to move in on an injured disgruntled Gasol. He waited just the same to move in on CP3 and Dwight. Same goes for free agency where we'll keep holding onto the cap till someone says yes....and why wouldn't they? We showed all potential free agents that we would reward them handsomely via Kobe's legacy contract.

Meanwhile JC puts Duncan and Manu on pause, brings in a pretty significant free agent only to re-up both those guys again at a discount. What we did is absolutely ludicrous since we could have just as easily told Kobe, "you're getting paid bruh, but hold up till the summer and we'll see if we can get you any help." We come back to Kobe with names that want to get paid max or will sacrifice some money to form a super team with the Mamba, he either signs off on it or says, "Bi...uh Mitch, pay me!" Now, we're supposedly rebuilding, but with the Mamba shedding on nearly 1/3 of our cap. Makes no cents!

On top of that, we got the likes of Dwight and Pau leaving money on the table to go play elsewhere. Funny thing about Pau is that while I was looking up Hibbert & Zaza's defensive ratings, guess who tops both those guys? And there in lies yet another "wand-erful" moment by this franchise by going with D'Anoti over Phil. Maybe Nash gets utilized better...maybe Dwight doesn't rocket off to Houston...maybe Pau keeps those defensive numbers here in LA....maybe the Mamba gets the last 3 years back. We've seen what coaching can do...it brings all the free agents to the yard....it even has some free agents go back on their word to stay home. Folks are going to bring up NY, but Phil is no longer in a coaching capacity there....meanwhile his first choice as a replacement just happened to win the NBA Finals. D'Antoni wanted small-ball while we had Dwight and Pau on the roster....yeah, makes sense to go away from the triple post. Now we got a here of gazelles and we trade for Roy...my head seriously hurts.

Mistake after mistake after mistake with Mitch and Co. continuously feeding us the company line, all while nonchalantly explaining how they'll learn from them. Folks that are arguing that the FO can only do so much in free agency with the roster that we have, please understand that the roster is the way that it is, cause the FO has made it that way. Wee made this bed and now wee must sleep in it.

I'm sorry for my piss-pour attitude and I absolutely commend those that are looking at this optimistically, but we're in no man's land and we've been there for quite some time. You simply can't rebuild with a legacy contract on the roster. You can't compete with the roster that we have...so where are we? I would absolutely love to eat crow, cause I'm starving for some June gloom by Laker-haters circa 2010.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  20. revgen

I think something happened to him physically during the Houston series. Against Cleveland, he could hardly jump off the ground. He tried to play through it, but he wasn't effective.

He was a decent offensive player until he suffered an elbow injury.

After that, it seemed like he lost a significant amount of touch around the rim. But his defense is still solid.