Paul George Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Great to wake up to this kind of news.

See you in a year Paul.

Kenzo likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

LA Times tells me I've seen too many of their articles for free :D So I can't read Tania's whole article, but I can almost smell who that source is: Magic or Rob. They're still being told (likely by George's agent) where George's mindset is and the Lakers can only take the man at his word. All they can do is continue to prepare like he's coming...

At this stage that means the Lakers should prepare as if they're not making changes. Moving D'Angelo this early may prove a mistake, but oh well. I think now they'll look to boost Randle and Clarkson's value. If Randle has the type of year it looks like he's gearing up for, someone will be willing to take him knowing they'll have to pay him. Clarkson may not have a ton of value, but I feel like if Lou last year was worth a late 1st then Clarkson's value should be similar. I could see him going to a contender during the year. Deng obviously is the big question mark, but hopefully you can attach whatever you have to attach and get rid of him. The worst case scenario is waiving him next summer, but that can be done too.

Roll into next summer with Ball, Ingram, Nance Jr., Zubac, Hart and 70 million in cap space. We desperately need growth out of Ingram and Nance Jr. from outside and Ball needs to prove he's everything we're hoping he is.

I'm not disagreeing. I keep saying that growth is going to be vital for the young guys. If we don't win something like 30-35 games then I'm not sure George finds the partner he's looking for. It's possible George doesn't care and he's coming anyway to take Kobe's mantle because he's just that much of a fan, but I think it's far more likely that we need a massive showing. We need to look like we're on the cusp. Given our FO struggles, the national media doesn't give us the same appreciation as a "young up and coming team" as teams like the Wolves or Suns even. We need to be at least in that conversation. That's a lot of responsibility and pressure on young kids and Luke Walton, but that's just the reality of the situation. Go win games. Go be exciting or I think all of this is moot.

It's potentially more important because if George goes somewhere competitive and we're still slogging through 20 wins I have no idea why anyone would want to be here. The pressure is on, but I think we're still building positive momentum right now... It all starts with Summer League.

On another note, we'll see just how interested players are in coming here tomorrow evening. I'm not expecting us to make big splashes, but even a solid veteran on a one-year deal would be nice by some time next Wednesday.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

usually, the one-year deals happen later in FA. but i'm curious to see if the lakers call anyone interesting on day 1.

LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  4. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. We really need to see some strides out of Ingram.

We also need Randle to really come through and silence all doubts about him. I’m tough on him but I will give him credit. I like that he’s working out so hard. Hoping it translates to the court night in and night out.

while I still think we sold too soon and too low on DAR, I’m also hoping Lopez can be the positive veteran leader we hoped Deng would be.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

am i crazy for hoping deng has some pride and tries to salvage his reputation? really disappointing if he ends his career as a fat guy reviled by fans for stealing money after so many years as a respected professional.

6. therealdeal

Yeah I think you're crazy ;)

I mean the guy skipped his exit interview and got out of here as soon as he could. He's been about as unprofessional as a previously assumed professional guy could be. Showed up out of shape after his enormous contract, was publicly unhappy with his role, then because dismissive late in the season after getting benched. Maybe when Rob said in his introductory press conference that he had "two contracts" that were a problem, Deng got upset, but honestly if he'd been earning his f***ing paycheck, nobody would have said a damn thing. I couldn't care less if he never came back. This guy is the antithesis of what he promised to be. Corey Brewer got here at the trade deadline and was everything Deng was supposed to be for less than half the cost.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i just think if you're upset about it, you try to prove something. you don't get fatter and lazier and prove the opposite.

getting in shape and playing better is his ticket out of here, if he hates it so much.

Weezy and ElginTheGreat like this.
  8. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

@therealdeal to bypass the LA Times maxed out articles. Go to google and search for the story. If you use a search engine to access the article I think you will be able to read it.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  9. Jazzygirl205

Jazzygirl205 - Rookie -

Hopefully trading Dlo doesn't come back to bite us and we pull through acquiring PG. I'm ready to see us win again.

Kenzo and abeer3 like this.
  10. therealdeal

It worked! Thank you. I was wondering why that popped up, I've been reading Times articles for a long time online.

There's another interesting quote from that piece:
    So they would have been open to moving the #2 pick if they'd been able to dump Deng and pick up George in the process. Interesting...

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

is that what that means? i almost feel like they wanted to get a pick to replace the #2.

i still think they probably tried to move the 2 for 5 and 10, then move the 10 for george (with randle). but sac said no.

12. therealdeal

I think the 2 for 5/10 question was them trying to bait Sacramento into moving up to get Fox. If they move up to get Fox, the Lakers can move down to 5 and still get Ball (Fultz, Jackson, Tatum, and Fox go first).

I think getting a 3rd team involved sounds a lot more like we needed a dumping ground for Deng or maybe Mozgov at the time if he was still here during those discussions.

13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Timing is impeccable, one day before free agency starts. PG's team pretty much telling the NBA, you will waste all your assets for only 9 months. There will be no convincing, either way. Indiana will have to either take s***, which they will either way, or trade him to LA and salvage something. My guess is Indy trades him for s*** away from the Lakers in spite. Pritchard seems to be a ***** like that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/pag...ncy-preview-including-C Bags-lakers-heat-more

gee, i wonder who zach lowe's rooting for. this is why espn annoys me.

man, what an obvious bias. was he wearing his lucky C Bags jersey while typing all this?

i hope this blows up in boston's face somehow. i hope hayward goes to miami and george tells them he won't stay there under any circumstances and markelle fultz is a superstar next year.

15. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes clearing your cookies works for that. I've also just used different browsers and it'll sometimes get by that.

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Man. That would really help us out a lot.

18. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

The reason why the LA Times is starting to charge is to make up ground in the bankrupt pile of sewage it has been over the last 2 decades. I wouldnt read the LA Times for free. You saw that sweat stain Plaschke at the Lonzo Ball intro, idiot doesnt even know his history and Magic playfully called him out. Those slaps know nothing. Especially that piece of s***.

Kenzo and Savory Griddles like this.
  19. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Moving the number 2 makes sense, especially since Magic said he wasn't sold on Lonzo until the second workout. The feeling I get is they liked a handful of players and had no issue moving down a few spots and getting one of them instead of Lonzo if it meant getting George.

20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Well, I know all that. I was just trying to help realdeal get around their "filter" or whatever you'd call it.

Kenzo and OX1947 like this.