One And Done Gone By 2021?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 15, 2018.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

2. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m good with that. It’s a charade as is. The basketball leagues (NBA, Internationsl, G League, and a one off league like what Lavar is trying to do) are well developed now and therefore viable careers for players beyond the top notch talent. There’s no need to impede their career pursuits or make them find loopholes to replay out of high school.

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    We're gonna see so many more busts and its going to make evaluating talent that much more difficult.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

true, but the market will correct itself, as it did before that silly rule. i hope it comes in tandem with some improvements to the g-league, though. if anything, the nba needs to help develop some safety nets for the high school stars that get drafted and flame out when college would have helped them. imagine a hs version of malik pope, gets drafter then disappoints. at least he ended up getting a college degree out of the deal. if the nba is going to welcome these kids back in, they need to assume some responsibility for their development beyond simply turning it over to the teams, who will behave in self-interest only.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Too bad the NCAA is an exploitative joke

It would be better moving the minimum age to 20. Most that age still aren’t ready to handle the rigors of the NBA physically or mentally.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm ok with that, too, but i want the nba to provide a path to the league that circumvents the ncaa. make the g-league more attractive to phenoms that don't feel like being exploited. it's maybe the one thing upon which i agree with lavar ball.

7. therealdeal

There's no reason the NBA shouldn't operate like MLB.

You're draft eligible out of high school. If you choose to go to the NBA, it's up to the team whether to let you develop in the G-League or call you up. If you choose to go to college, you're there for 3 years minimum. I think you'll see too many kids declare early, but it'll even out over time.

That should take a solid chunk out of the NCAA, the 2nd most crooked sports entity on the planet.

432J, Bryant, Lakeshow85 and 5 others like this.
  8. sirronstuff

Ok I’ll bite. Who’s first?

Lakeshow85 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. therealdeal

The Olympic committee. Just awful. They take bribes to have their events hosted by cities around the world. The event forces those cities to build substandard facilities for housing not just the athletes, but the public attending the events. Then when everyone leaves, those substandard facilities are left to rot. The cities generally are left in disarray. I read an article that Greece is still cleaning up their mess from 04 (although Greece has a ton of problems anyway).

Lakeshow85, abeer3, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  10. sirronstuff

Totally agree. Somehow they escaped my thoughts. I was limiting myself to US Sports

Lakeshow85 and therealdeal like this.
  11. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Don't forget about FIFA (i know soccer is not a sport to most of you but still, corrupted mfers).

Lakeshow85, Cookie, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  12. sirronstuff

F’n
    International
    Futbol
    Aholes

13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Rule should be direct from high school eligible. If you can't, need to be out of high school for 3 years. The game would correct itself so much more by having rookies come in and be impactful immediately as appose to waiting for 2 to 3 years for them to grow into themselves.

14. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I theory 1 and done made perfect sence. Given the corrupt nature of the NCAA, is is a great thing to get rid of.

Players don't have to escape overseas to make some money while the NCAA makes billions and gives the athletes a huge middle finger.

Some seasoning is definitely useful for pretty much every highschool player. But they need a different solution where these athletes get paid. These guys have usually struggled to even get there and there isn't even a guarantee to get picked in the NBA.

Their entire life depends on the money they make. They usually have poor families waiting for some financial support after spending every dime in order to push the son to where he has a realistic chance of being a pro athlete.

Knowing the background and financial struggles, its just too tempting to try to make money earlier. Also going to college might "expose" your weaknesses which isn't in their best interest either. So they prefer to be a "mystery" full of potential.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Lakeshow85 and Kenzo like this.
  15. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

:This:

16. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

I think it'd be a very interesting idea to have a MLB-style draft in the NBA. It would add the dimension of whether a player is signable when making draft decisions, which small markets may not enjoy.

17. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Unless these guys get paid in college, it doesn't make sense. Nobody is going to go to college to make 20k p.a. while you can potentially make 7 figures. Just too tempting. And the way teams draft, HS players will have significantly more value to them because of their age.

This year, only 2 seniors were drafted in the first round out of college. Thats an alltime low I believe. Teams simply prefer 18, 19 year olds with potential rather than 21,22 year old players out of college. Is it right? no but it is what it is.

18. therealdeal

I disagree. There's tons of kids simply not good enough to play early. A good example is Moe Wagner. If he went as a freshman, he wouldn't get drafted. There will be plenty of kids who go to school. I think kids should very obviously get paid in college as well, but it's not dependent on that.

E3srly on there might be too many kids going, but it would even out over time.