Montrezl Harrell Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by The Rock, Nov 20, 2020.

1. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

really hope the FO doesn't panic after lebron's injury and overpay for mediocrity

2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    “Entertaining offers” is quite vague. Could just mean that we picked up the phone when another team called and told them we’d think about it. Not that we’re actively shopping him.

If we do trade him, as much as I would hate that, it’s not completely unreasonable. He has a player option and we don’t have his bird rights. In the off-season, he’ll likely opt out and sign somewhere else to get his payday.

Personally I think you have to risk that scenario of losing him for nothing after the season, because he’s too valuable for our immediate success. But if we did get an offer that replaced him with someone who can provide similar production under a more secure long-term contract, it does make sense to at least “entertain” it.

SamsonMiodek and ElginTheGreat like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Apparently it was before LeBron went down and when we were in need of center help. But now we need him and Charlotte’s plans have changed with Melo our for the season

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm highly skeptical here.

they're listening to offers as in: you can have trez and kcp for your allstar. at least that's my guess.

also: any trez move likely adds long-term salary--i just don't see it unless it's huge.

TIME, lakerjones, Toneloc and 2 others like this.
  5. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure they are listening to any offers not involving Bron & AD. There would be no reason to not pick up the phone and see what players other teams are interested in.

Toneloc, ElginTheGreat and Cookie like this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

My concerns with entertaining offers for him even, that if it gets out and it always does, it could diminish your on the court product. I think he's an emotional guy, usually leads to great on the court energy and a spark plug to a sputtering offense but it can be dangerous if your careless with him and making him feel unwanted or as trade bait.

7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I just don’t see us moving him unless it’s a truly great deal. He’s been playing well and brings it every time he’s out there.

lakerjones, abeer3, DeeZee and 4 others like this.
  8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Lakers are exploring trade scenarios and the other team bring Harrell's name up. I'd guess that's what is happening not the other way around. Damn media...always instigating BS.

9. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

If the Lakers are very confident on landing Drummond through buyout, good chance Montrez is being moved. Sell high on him.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

said this in the other thread but it bears repeating here: how is it going to look to FAs when you take your big summer signing--who's played well and hard and been a good teammate--and dump him midseason for a mild upgrade?

that's past what jsm said, which is also true: it's clear harrell has seen these rumors (and thought it was worth reacting to in a public manner). you don't want this.

Juronimo, 432J, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  11. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    With Ludabrow and Lebron down, MontrezL is our best player. We don't think of moving him without a huge upgrade coming back. That doesn't make much sense to me.

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I hope we're keeping him in the loop as to what's going on and what's media speculation.

13. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    On the other hand... I wonder if that would be counterproductive given how emotional he can be. You let him know something might be in the works, then he starts venting on social media, the other teams we’re negotiating with then may feel some extra leverage in their favor.

I do get the argument that shopping him isn’t great because the rumors are going to impact a player like him ... but isn’t that the case with ANY trade discussions and rumors? That can’t be a reason to hold off on trade negotiations, if you otherwise think a trade could be beneficial

At the end of the day though, even if we are to assume that Trez opts out of his player option and leaves this off-season, I feel he still has more value to us as a rental for a few months than any other team. I don’t see us trading him, unless we bundle him with KCP’s salary to bring back a higher tier player that we haven’t considered yet.

14. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

really hope it doesn't turn into another lamar situation with harrell where the trade rumors get to him and it starts affecting his performance or even worse, he demands a trade or sits out

still think trading him for anything less than a superstar would be a big mistake

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  15. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Hoping for a Lemon Pepper Lou buyout to pair him with Trezzl again
    :Signcontract:

Juronimo and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

More of this please.

sirronstuff, LTLakerFan, JSM and 5 others like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

2 things:

trez protests WAAYYYYY too much about not caring about public perception. it's clear he does. he should just own it. don't be kd. you care. you're human, and it sucks when people say negative things about you, particularly if they don't know you very well. we all get that. acting like you don't care is silly. the ones that actually don't care, you never hear from, because they're not mining social media for public opinion.

the other thing is basketball-related: i agree that he's not a dumb player. i think his defensive deficiencies have been overplayed in the press. i think he needs a defined role on both ends, and he can be trusted to maximize within those boundaries.

i'm glad we didn't trade him and would be happy to have him back. no way we sign a MLE player next year that approximates his impact and ability. he's won us a few games this year by playing hard and smart all the time.

too much focus on what guys can't do, particularly when what they can do is helpful.

19. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

What will the team look like with Drummond. You can't play Drummond and Trezz at the same time but Marc is also there so I am guessing Marc drops out of the rotation? Man... if Trezz could develop a jumper, he would be absolutely lethal.

20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I love Frank to death but his small line up without Trezz is so maddening, now he saw the results in this Cavs game.