Mike Muscula Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Feb 7, 2019.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'd drop him for Melo at this point

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Rudy = early bird and at his age, he's interested in that bag
    Ariza = Mintz (all his clients lost potential money)
    Davis = coulda been got, but needle pusher?
    JJ = early bird
    Scott = needle pusher?
    Boogie = woulda came back in January and needed to get worked in, so who knows how much ground we woulda lost with him out. Also one less body on the roster means more of a workload for the available guys...Bron's Grade 2 injury coulda been Grade 3, while Rondo and Zo...jeez maybe out the year.
    Evans = wanted playing time and with Hart here who balled out in SL, who knows? Woulda been a good get tho. Still money invested in Kcp/Klutch possibly improves AD coming over here. I'm good with that.
    BLo = no excuses...we f***ed that one up royally! Yes, I am stating unequivocally that Magic f***ed that one up.
    Ellington = needle pusher?
    Curry = needle pusher?

These guys were all options, but you really gotta stretch your optimistic outlook on any of them really hitting and contributing towards a legit title threat to the dubs this year on a 1yr stopgap deal.

And that's my point...there were no obvious signings that significantly bumped our title chances this year. You either trade for a guy that can do that or stop gap it till this coming summer when we're more in control of the guy we can bring in.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    No one player on that list would change the season for us alone, but in combination we would be in a different position than we are now. Mainly a big + shooter. I mean anything on that list is better than Lance/Beasley. I agree it's not title changing moves, but it would have maximized the talent aspects of our core.

Mcgee / Chandler / Zu / Muscala / Moe / Kuzma its been a revolving door at the 5, some consistency there would have been nice.

LTLakerFan and Khmrp like this.
  4. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I actually think that having a a few other key pieces would have moved the needle for us...we're making these moves for Chandler and Bullock and Muscala as a reaction instead of being proactive over the summer in addressing our needs. Everybody could see it a mile away that these signings were terrible and now they're rearing their ugly heads.

Even Rondo was a terrible signing IMO.

Cookie and Khmrp like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Was giving everything a "like" but had to take it back at Rondo being a terrible signing. That was a good signing. But he needs to quit with the hot dog passes and take care of the ball as befits a champion PG in the league with his experience. AC Fresh was the backup last year. What happened to all the warm fuzzies about Rondo's experience and knowledge and having the backs of and tutoring the young guys where possible and staying with us hopefully in some form or another because of all that B Ball intelligence?

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

large amts of TO n no defense is what happened lol

Cookie likes this.
  7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

This guy is worse than Brian Cook.

Jesus people actually tried to defend this move. Guy is not even G League material. Travis Wear is better than this scrub.

8. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Time to sit him and let Moe develop.

9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I'd rather watch Melo.

Kenzo likes this.
  10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i really want to hear magic and rob's justification for trading zubac for this scrub

they had to have been on drugs. that's my only exclamation

sirronstuff, LTLakerFan, tada and 3 others like this.
  11. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Magic and Rob should be fired for just this stupid trade alone.

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Tank move gets tank results

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    At this point Wagner should be getting minutes, PERIOD.

Lets see if he sucks before we write him off. But it makes no sense to play Muscala, who is already worse than Moe.

14. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

The one I read was that they knew they couldn't afford Zubac without sacrificing cap space, so they decided to trade him.

But it does beg the question, why not just wait until the summer and let him walk? And in the meantime continue to get production from him, vs trading him for Mike Muscala, who just sucks.

15. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^they couldn't afford him for NEXT season.

There was no f**** reason to trade him during our playoff run. They could have waived him on the first day of FA. They didn't have to screw this team, crap on the chemistry and bring in Muscala who gives you 0/0 on a consistent basis.

The other aspect of this is we gave him to a team that is occupying the spot that we crave LOL. So basically we weakened ourselves and strengthened the biggest threat to that #8 spot....it is beyond amazing. It was a terrible trade on any front.

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yep who sucks n will probably end up being let go so same end result just less help for the moment

17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

You trade his bird rights where he has better annual raises (8% vs 5%) and the cLips can also offer him a 5th year in a long-term deal.

If we renounced him this summer, like we did Jules last summer, then Zu becomes a free agent and can sign up to a 4yr deal max with 5% annual raises.

He didn't meet starter criteria, so his caphold woulda been a trivial 1.9m on our books with the ability to match. If we're really worried about his cap hit, then maybe it's cause we're going to need that extra wiggle in cap for 2020 (ie trading for AD, will lead to him opting out and resigning... creating a significant caphold. Same can be said for any 30%max guy we sign this summer if they're only going to do a 1+1 deal and opt out to re-up as a 35% max player in the summer of 2020 (ie Ky, Kawhi, Klay, Butler, etc).

It seems like we did Zu a solid. He gets to play out his contract while remaining in his home bed. And possibly re-up with his bird rights to remain in LA. Dude also just got engaged I think.

Also Deng gave back money, while most buyout candidates didn't.

Also gave Jules an out when we really didn't have to.

I'm not sure if these moves were smart or not...but you can't judge them till we see the complete picture with our cap space.

As of right now it was a poor move. But if you turn Mus to DJ...it's not a bad get.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    The question is, couldn't we trade Zubac for a 2nd rounder and signed DJ if he became available (which he likely won't?)

I will give the front office this off-season. If they don't deliver, they should be gone before camp. If they have some sort of a master plan which we idiots can't see, alright. Please prove me wrong and I will be a happy camper.

But if this off-season or next turns into another desperate wave of Mozgov, Deng deals...then be prepared for hell to break lose. Lets say we sign Khris Middleton to an expensive contract...then we are stuck with a bunch of non-shooters in a shooters league and have an aging LeBron with an albatross contract...for the next 3 years...

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i get that some team would have thrown a big contract at zubac in the summer and he would've been gone

but 1. they could have really used his offense down the stretch and 2. they really couldn't get anyone better than this scrub muscala?

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    becuz we lost Zu, this guy will never be liked unless he's an all star. Zu started having 20/10 games, and we could really use dat right about now

tada, lakerfan2 and Kenzo like this.