Marc Gasol Discussion: The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly On The Plain

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Cookie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

this.

note that it's people defending gasol against a handful of folks who invest a ton of energy in attacking a 15mpg role player on a vet min.

i find the obsession really weird, tbh. i push back against it because a) it's really not supported by any data, and b) i don't think it's good for the forum to have folks spewing random unsupported negativity unchallenged.

i'm not looking forward to whomever is anointed the punching bag this year, put it that way.

2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Chick the G.O.A.T. likes this.
  3. Chick the G.O.A.T.

Chick the G.O.A.T. - Rookie -

capital gains

Cookie you're asking for something that's not necessary. We are having healthy debate and I can say for certain that it's not coming from a malicious place. Im not attacking anyone, not my style but I'm just as passionate about the Lakers as anyone here. I'm born and raised in LA, grew up down the street from the forum. Moms used to give me money to buy tickets to Laker games and worked for Unocal 76 who sponsored the Dodgers and Raiders.. She got free tickets to Dodger and Raider games, all of them and me and my friends used to go to every game we could at the coliseum, Dodger stadium and the forum as early as 8 years old on our own. We aren't gonna agree on everything except that we want more titles, the best players, and to win 98 games in a row lol.

You may not agree or like the way I spin it but that drives conversation. His stats are facts. I used those as a basis for my argument not my opinion. He's not the same player anymore, do you disagree? LeBrons not the same player anymore either but he's still competing at a high level. Those are facts. I almost get the feeling that you're trying to sensor what I'm saying because you don't agree and that in itself hinders conversation. They're just words so take them for what they are but know that it's not coming on the attack to flame posters, start crap or troll to elicit emotional responses for fun.

Have a good weekend

Juronimo and Slick2021 like this.
  4. Chick the G.O.A.T.

capital gains

I think you're overthinking this entirely. His body of work speaks for itself. We have all watched the games, your take on it is obviously different. If I'm being honest, hell I'd love for Marc to prove me wrong and play his a** off so we can win another title and have the most in league history. I would love to eat my words and pay that price for another title.

Do you feel like it's an attack because we don't agree? I'm never gonna feel bad about having an opinion but I'm more then open to discussion to change my mind. I'm just not a stats guy. I know what I'm watching and stats don't always tell a true story

Slick2021 likes this.
  5. Slick2021

Every Lakers fan wants to win, the chip is always the ultimate goal. Disagreements about particular players is par the course for any fan base. The beauty of basketball is that it can be viewed differently by different people. Hell..you can have two coaches, GM's, scouts, players and fans watch the same tape, and all come away with different perspectives. That's basketball.

6. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Go back and reread my post. I did not have any issues with you mentioning his stats. You said he was a stopgap measure and that was a FACT. A fact to whom? Did you talk to someone on our team or front office? Do you know for a fact that they don’t want him back? Is he the same player he once was, no of course not and I don’t think anyone is saying that. I am not trying to sensor anyone. Once again, my only issue is trying to say something is a fact when it is not.

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

First off, is this an interview or an article? Doesn't read like an interview, so seems like the author is picking up quotes elsewhere, maybe the podcast?? Maybe the ONE time?

Secondly, it's a good example of how you've shaded the whole thing negatively to support your extremely negative opinion on Gasol, cherry picking to try to show he's worthless now as a player to the Lakers, and we have better starting options.

Red = Marc was jaking it earlier, as opposed to being his age and coming off the unprecedented short off season, and likely as I mentioned going to not kill himself out of the box, same as old man LeBron and work into the flow and conditioning to peak like a veteran for the playoffs.

Laker purple = Ignored nuance and good things he also said about Gasol.

So unless other examples I'm still believing it was a one time not only negative thing he was saying as you have been painting it.

"But Dudley believes the Drummond acquisition ultimately was a positive for the veteran center. “I thought that obviously Drummond coming in, I thought that helped Marc Gasol,” Dudley noted. “I thought Marc struggled earlier in the year, I thought Marc Gasol was phenomenal second half of the year and I thought because Drummond pushed him about his shot, his decision-making, everything he did.

“He’s a guy that has to play off feel and flow and the more he played
    with you, the better he was. I thought that was perfect. You need competition to push you.

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Last year his Per 36 numbers were 9.5 / 7.8 / 4.0. In the playoff series he was even better. He shot 63% from three in the series. He also averaged 3apg in only 17mpg compared to our starting point guard who averaged 2.8apg in twice as many minutes. That means he was by far our second best playmaker against the Suns and was close to LeBron's assist per minute.

None of the above indicates washed or done. To keep insisting otherwise is to just disregard the facts.

tada, alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  9. Slick2021

If all was well, why do you need to be pushed in the first place? Interview, article whatever...Gasol is a role player, I don't know why Marc Gasol would be the big focus of anyone talking about the team. So I don't figure Gasol to have been a major topic of discussion period. That being said, this is the Gasol thread, so I am talking about Gasol. I have stated numerous times that the Center wasn't a major factor on the team. That gets overlooked by this take, that I'm blaming him for losing to Phoenix or something, or being overly negative. I voiced my opinion, you are free to disagree. This is the purpose of having threads about different players isn't it? So that particular player can be discussed, I was unaware that it was meant to be a fan appreciation thread for that player.

10. LTLakerFan

Insert "were" for "are"

[​IMG]

.... when before the injuries turned everything to s*** ..... how our offense looked when it was starting to click with Marc in there helping quarterback it with his brilliant passing and hitting guys with those passes who cut, including LeBron and how much fun that was? I still don't get the "big whoop, he only shoots a couple threes a game". As the season went on, if they needed him to shoot more, all Frank has to do is ask him .... its not like he can't any longer hit them. As evidenced by @TIME 's post above with the 63% in the playoffs.

Why does the Gasol is washed and shouldn't be a starter in the NBA contingent here (with the Lakers budget constraints with our superstars) all keep ignoring ^^^ his still elite offensive skills?

abeer3 likes this.
  11. Chick the G.O.A.T.

capital gains

What's Gasol gonna do next year? Retire? I mean let's face it he's in the twilight and I totally agree that he may be able to contribute in some capacity but to use LTLakerFans word, it's being "painted" here that he is a starter in this league when in actuality he wouldn't start for most teams across the league. Argue what you will but to me that's a stopgap for not having someone like Miles Turner ( Lakers have been rumored to want him for some time now) to start at the 5. We are using him to play a role because we don't have another option not because he's better period point blank.

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

given our roster construction, vet mins are all we have at center. i'm not sure a vet min center legitimately outperformed gasol last year, hence my head-scratching on the witch hunt.

edit: and if we had a disappointing vet min last year (not sure that's really possible, btw), it was probably wes matthews. yet he was not pursued in his thread and others as the root of all laker failure.

13. LTLakerFan

Yeah that's the ticket in debating .... keep zigging and zagging and moving the goalpost. I was replying, honestly asking, if Dudley truly said this multiple times, "and never walked it back". Unless you got something else I guess it was only once, and there was nothing to walk back as it wasn't some bad thing about Marc he said.

14. Chick the G.O.A.T.

capital gains

Sure his (Time) stats show a compelling argument but what about his +/- for the entire series which combined was a -31? Or he made 7 3's the entire series which, well wouldn't you look at it about the same thing as the regular season..The only game he had a positive plus minus was game 3. Those are stats too right?

I've said this over and over so I'll say it one more time, he can contribute but he's not a starter in this league under normal circumstances. He's all we've got and more then likely after this year he's gonna retire because in fact he just isn't what he used to be and he knows it along with the rest of the league.

Why didn't Toronto resign him? Or someone else with cap room?

15. LTLakerFan

Look, all my comments are about WITH THE ROSTER AS INTENDED AND HEALTHY, and you STILL ignoring the flow of the offense at the start of the season, us NOT even gelled yet .... when he was in there with the 3 threat and IMO more importantly the great passing and "movement" it allowed. Any BUT that in the Phoenix series. Who here expected Marc Gasol at his age to be a + - difference maker and pull it out for us with a hobbled LeBron and no AD? I sure didn't.

IF he comes back he's a starter, for the reasons you and everyone agrees on, we so far have not been able to find someone better at vet minimum. And on offense to start games and play against big men, if the team ever gets a chance to gel, he still is capable of important things on offense like elite passing and hitting 40% from 3, as much as the staff wants him to take the shot. And passable defense that the team under Vogel can scheme and funnel and whatever for to help where he needs it.

Who else we got as a starter at this point?

16. Slick2021

Hmmm. Numbers...OK...I'll bite.

Drummond's per 36 numbers were..
    19.9 pts 16 rebs 2.7 assists.

What about those numbers suggests that Drummond shouldn't have stated over Gasol?

Playoffs....

Gasol per 36 numbers were...
    10.8 pts 6.2 assists 7.9 rebs. Not bad actually

Drummond 15.4 pts 0 assists 18.9 rebs

Again what makes Gasol the better option? Marc hit 7 three pointers against Phoenix. 5 were in two games...besides having more assists I don't see what numbers suggested that Gasol was clearly the best option at 5.

17. Chick the G.O.A.T.

capital gains
    If the FO thought so highly of him why would they be using him as an add in on a trade to provide salary cap relief?

https://www.talkbasket.net/131721-l...l-for-salary-cap-relief-per-nba-insider?amp=1

Like that could have been salary cap relief for the Lakers, not just a trade exception. So we’ll see if they end up needing those exceptions, we’ll see if they end up needing those extra tools to build this roster out, but I think that’s really where we’re going to decide ‘was the Westbrook trade a success?’”

As of now, Gasol revealed he will be returning to the Lakers for the 2021-22 season campaign, but, with the additions the team has made this offseason, no one is sure exactly what his role will be."

"Defensive rating is not the most reliable metric because it does not take into account an individual player’s contributions to the team’s defense. It also skews very heavily towards big men because it takes rebounds and blocked shots into consideration."

Because "stats"..

And this gem from skip (I have no love for this dude) made me almost spit out my water

[​IMG]

I mean honestly I would want him parked outside the 3 point line anyways on offense so he has less distance to run to get back on D. So hell maybe he should start raining 3's, I mean he shot 63% against Phoenix in the playoffs last year.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. Slick2021

Once again I never saw him take that comment back. I also didn't see him being asked about Marc Gasol in every interview or podcast he did either. Whenever the subject of Drummond/Gasol was broached, that was his response. I personally wouldn't take anyone saying, that I needed to be pushed by another player in order to play better, as some kind of positive. That's just me. Perhaps you look at it as a positive.

19. Slick2021

Gotta shoot though or percentage is irrelevant. He attempted 1 three pointer in the last two close out games.

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    quota

and inspiration for overweight middle aged white dudes everywhere

He's here for marketing purposes and to help the restaurant industry in LA recover from the pandemic