Lonzo Ball Discussion: Bulls

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by OmarE, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

That is true. His confidence definitely needs to improve. The best way to do that imo is to keep him in even if he’s off. He’s one of the few players that doesn’t need to be hitting offensively to play hard in the other areas of the game.

Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  2. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I didn't intend to be disrespectful by any means and I think my sentence was misleading, sorry. What I'm saying is that you are OK with what Lonzo does. And what he does is mediocre rather than you loving mediocrity per se. I enjoy defending my position and love that you do too.

My point is that it is OK if you believe he will be good in the future. There is a chance he will. But don't expect everyone to be OK with a guy airballing a 3 with no one closer than 15 feet to him. That's not OK, that's terrifying. He probably has more aieballs than any Laker in history I recall relative to shots taken.

You can believe in Lonzo and in his talent and potential. This forum lives with this type of discussions and opposing views. We don't know how things shake out.

Nobody knows for sure whether he will be a scrub or an all-star. But at the very least I would expect some sympathy for people being mad at Lonzo having 3 airballs including a layup and a 3 where he was on an island.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  3. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    That’s kind of what being a fan is sometimes - believing despite the evidence. I admit I’m guilty of it. Russ has been way too inconsistent to suppose he’ll likely become an all-star all of a sudden. I’ll keep on believing nonetheless.

revgen, ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and 4 others like this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he can be off but can't be passive either which he seems to be alot of the time on O, just standing around

5. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I really don't mind anyone loving any player. At the end you'll be a genius if he becomes great or look like an idiot if he doesn't. We all love certain players for what they are and don't care what they aren't. Everyone is different and values different things. We all have faults/tastes in this regard.

But in such cases it's important to accept that it is a personal opinion, not necessarily the prevailing opinion. Honestly I don't even know if more people here love or hate lonzo. Maybe I'm in the minority here. I complain about him at every chance, the problem is he keeps feeding me on a consistent basis .

I'd love for him to ball and shut me up for good. I'd love for him to be the greatest PG in history and lead my Lakers to a championship and make me look like a fool. It's not a crime to be dead wrong.

History suggests most {>90%) of the times fans overrate players on their team.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    revgen, ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  6. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I’m kind of resigned to the fact that lonzo’s natural game is that if a low usage player who makes great decisions on both ends of the floor. But the impact of a player like that decreases the better the competition. So he has gone from a superstar in high school to a star in college to a glue guy in the NBA.

It’s adjusting to those expectations when he is the 2nd pick that is tough for most. If he was picked in the 20’s and was putting up 10/7/7 with 2 steals and a block, we’d be talking him up the same way warriors fans do of green or Toronto fans do of siakim or heat use to of Shane battier.

7. Bobbycdukes

Bobbycdukes - Rookie -

Ball will come around. Huge slump.

SeasonVet24 and Lakeshow85 like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Maybe growing up with all the hype and targets Pops placed on him .... at times when it's tough and he's struggling such as with shooting ..... he questions whether he was believing all the family and his own hype. Shooting it seemed a couple times like he was caught in no man's land between the old style and then the new slightly modified style. That transition to something new can be tough at times so quickly done I would think. Look at Fultz's struggles just to reconstruct something he did well at one time with his J release.

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

well hes #2 that came with alot of hype/hoopla, no need to play the if game

10. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

To be air, uh fair, other than LABron, SwaGee, TC and Lance no one shot at/over 50%.

Might have been the smoke in their eyes.

That being said, our guard tandem of ZoDo (sans Lance) was a combined 4/19...yikes. and we know that largely isn't an outlier since both those dudes aren't really known for efficient shooting. The difference tho is Zo was the only net negative on the team (-2) that had substantial minutes (about 20mins), while 'Do was once again one of the leaders in +/- in a win (which unfortunately isn't also an outlier).

I do believe the smoke had an impact, but hey Zo still deserves the start...just remind me who finished the game tho. :p

The thing about airballs, they lead to greatness if they happen in the playoffs (#heirmamba & #tombrairdy).

But this is the regular season, so Zo ain't in rarified air...yet.

LTLakerFan, trodgers and Lakeshow85 like this.
  11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

You're still here? :D

That's good. I could use an arbitrary statistical model based on nothing to justify my opinions.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I didn't take offense. We usually speak plainly with each other man it's all good.

I will admit I'm a fan of the kid and his talent. I'll admit it means I'll look past some short comings recognizing the talent instead. To be fair to me, I'm consistent with it. For example, everyone hated Bonga (still might :D ). It's simply in my nature to view the cup half full.

For the record, I'm completely in agreement on demanding more from Lonzo. I dont have a problem being critical of him. I just think it's FAR to early to call him a bust because there ARE things he does well. He's not Fultz. He absolutely struggles with consistency. He absolutely needs to be more aggressive. He absolutely has a tendency to get in his own head and that's more concerning to me than most things with Lonzo. In general, confidence is very important, but in sports it's vital. He for sure has been mediocre lately but I've seen him be great. I know he can do it and I'm just not willing to let that go just yet. If anything it makes him more frustrating.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    but what about the eye test?

Per 36?

14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    The eye test say only old over the hill street ballers air ball lay ups:LLLLLebronlaughing:

Cookie, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  15. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Redemption game!

17. SeasonVet24

SeasonVet24 - Rookie -

He got no dawg in him. If he has any pride after being benched in the 4th quarter consecutive game, he needs to be more aggressive. This was exactly what Magic said about him. Sometimes he just disappeared. It’s now or never boy.

sirronstuff and Khmrp like this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    It's also an interesting mix we have of how many chiefs and how many indians..... I think he'll find his way. He's got great instincts, an all around game, and he's a big baller.

[​IMG]

Just a matter of time.

19. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    You’ve worked hard to avoid my posts, so you know I’m here. I’ve enjoyed your scouting reports based on nothing, too, but I haven’t seen one in awhile.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

while we shouldnt expect alot from zo in regards to his shooting, hes not really doing much of the other stuff either

SeasonVet24 likes this.