Lamarcus Aldridge: Going "home" to the Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Doc Brown, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Tragic

Tragic - Rookie -

ClubLakers class of '04
    Kawhi is really low-key. I don't think he'll sign anywhere else. It doesn't seem to be about the money for him.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

No I said magically fix Upshaw and lock him up ..... plus Aldridge [​IMG]

therealdeal likes this.
  3. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

^^^ ..... moving into monster Bench Mob territory at any time in game with multiple options.

4. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Jordan might actually be the best signing for us. To say the least, at this point we are not a defensive team. Jordan would bring that intensity on defense we most likely would be lacking. Not only can he play defense, but he is athletic and can run the floor.

Lets say Jordan comes up with a huge block, someone gets the rebound and passes it up to Russell who then starts the break, he runs down the court draws the defense's attention and then throws a behind the back pass to a trailing Randle/Jordan for the huge dunk. Not only is it a great sequence, but it will give a big momentum boost. Now the opposing team goes back down the court and everyone on our team is feeling that intensity and their activity picks up greatly.

escobar8, shoe, SirJunkyBen and 2 others like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Not if we can fix Upshaw. A whole hell of a lot of carrots, primarily money and saving his future and possibly his life to dangle and keep Upshaw motivated on the straight path. Jeezus mix in an occasional beer buzz in company of support group, don't kill all of your happiness, (flame suit on) and be a Hero in Los Angeles. Not rocket science to collectively embrace this guy and motivate the hell out of him. Now, he goes on a crazy improvement cycle like the others on this year's Lakers squad, plus the FA ...... and look the Hell out. Who doesn't believe that?

If Upshaw with this kind of opportunity and massive support cannot get his act together then get hell out of here, LOSER.

jerryr88 likes this.
  6. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    How do you "languish" with Leonard and Parker? Their "window" is still open with those 3 and a FA acquisition next year when Duncan and Manu sail off into the sunset. LMA, Parker and Leonard is a pretty good start. We have a lot of potential with Russell and Randle but they have reality in those 2 players based on past performance. Problem is that Randle plays the position LMA does so how does that work? Randle is no SF and he isn't a Center either.

I'd say that the gesture made by the legend in Timmy D to take a much lower salary has to be something to consider as does playing in Texas for him. I don't think it's a forgone conclusion we get him here. My guess is that this will drag on and while Portland tries to salvage something for him which will mean we might lose Randle in the process. It could drag on long enough that we lose out on other options.

trodgers likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely a scenario I've got in mind. I've got doubts that Aldridge can provide that kind of defensive presence.

At the same time I have my doubts that we will produce consistent offense with Kobe as the only proven scorer. It's a dilemma.

Do we trust our young guys to produce enough offense or do we go get the legit scoring option and sacrifice defense?

8. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    This is why I think Jordan would be an anchor. He is next to worthless on offense and a downright liability in close games. He can be the best defender in the league at his position and still be the reason a game turns because he is so terrible at shooting free throws.

It would be optimum to base the rebuild on inside/outside scoring to be balanced against all types of teams. Filling in holes left if you start with LMA and Russell is a lot easier than when you have a one way guy in the front court and Russell. To me Jordan is less valuable than Tyson Chandler, even at his advanced age.

9. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Have to disagree very much here. I mean seriously. We ARE NOT losing Julius Randle. And in opportunistic match ups, not all the time, he WILL be able to play some not just getting by SF minutes, but dominating minutes. Even if looking like where he would have been last year from his pre season clips. This year, from all reports, we have quicker, leaner, still a load strength wise, much better shooting when he was already getting it together last year ..... Julius to give us that kind of flexibility.

TIME likes this.
  10. therealdeal

I certainly disagree with the Chandler statement and I LOVE the idea of getting Chandler... He's every bit the liability offensively that Jordan is. In fact I think there's a misconception here that we'd ever be relying on Jordan offensively. He'd almost never get the ball in a post or isolation situation.

Jordan exists solely to get rebounds and catch lobs. Getting him means leaning heavily on your guards and wings to score and Randle of course.

I'm and advocate of getting either honestly. Aldridge will provide a steady veteran presence that will be invaluable as Kobe ages. Jordan will provide youth, athleticism, and defense that excites.

We'll be able to tell a lot in Summer League just how ready these young cats are to handle the offensive load. If Randle and Clarkson and Russell electrify the SL then it may be safe to go get Jordan. If they struggle like youngsters do, go get Aldridge.

Another factor that has to be taken into account: the Lakers certainly want to attract the big free agents in 2016 and 2017. Who fits better with Durant and Derozan and Westbrook? Jordan or Aldridge?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and jerryr88 like this.
  11. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    You can disagree all you want but no need to yell. Fact is that there is no evidence he can play SF at all much less dominate at it what ever that means. LeBron is a dominant SF. Who else?.... Melo maybe. You saying he will be like that at a position he's never played? Yeah I'll respectfully and without cap locks disagree with that until I see it.

I also believe that we might trade for our next star player if we cannot sign them in FA. FA movement has been petty restricted in recent years and we might have to part with an asset to get a star caliber player. I'm not convinced by any means that we might not go after Cousins and trade Randle in the process.

We'll see.

12. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

You forgot about Durant. :)

Durant and LeBron are the only two dominant SFs. Then, I'd probably take Kawhi before Melo to be honest.

13. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

bonk, sorry I don't mean caps as yelling, just to emphasize strong feelings. "Will" be able to play some dominant SF minutes, again, in selected match ups, and they "are not'' going to lose this guy. One potential leader going forward and has some unique talents for a guy his size in the league. We don't have to give him up with the way Mitch has us set up with money, because I believe Randle has that star potential. Not saying superstar, certainly at this point. Anyway OK agree to disagree.

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  14. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Consider the fact that San Antonio has never been a destination for free agents and the Lakers always is. Leonard and Parker are solid, but that's not enought to contend.

15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Randle's not going anywhere. The front office is in love with him. And so are we.

16. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

If we had Davis & Upshaw, LMA would only have to play 15-18 minute a game at Center.. We would have the flexibility of playing different guys at the 3 & 4...
    Randle can play 3-4 & Aldridge can play 4-5... Easy

17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

That would be a dream front court rotation. Problem is, we can't afford both LMA and Davis.

LakerFanIam likes this.
  18. therealdeal

Relevant for how much San Antonio will need to do to make room for Aldridge:

19. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

I'm feeling kinda sad for them ..... [​IMG]

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Here's hoping they do what the Spurs always do and just re-tool their roster, while going after a lesser FA that won't eat up as much cap space (Millsap).