Lamarcus Aldridge: Going "home" to the Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Doc Brown, Jun 25, 2015.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't get your drift, here. if we all knew the spurs were the favorite, isn't that a perfectly reasonable excuse?

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Most impressed with him. I don't care he's not a high flying speedster that gets in the air a lot. MOST importantly he is going to figure out from all of his undoubtedly always improving skills going forward, what combination in his repertoire of skills and physical abilities is needed to beat YOU that night. He's just so matter of fact about that and confident about that one way or another he's going to beat you. Kobe was going to beat you with his left hand skills when the right side was injured, plus saying now he will work with what he has. He'll figure it out.

Color me happy he won't be in the air a lot amongst the trees. Who didn't just go OMG when Curry landed on his neck from 4-5 feet in the air? I expect him to play smart and pick and choose his moments and get OH HELL YEAH!! from us up out of our seats....when he does do it though. He has those huge hands!

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  3. gill

gill - Rookie -

I just want to see what kind of voodoo San Antonio will do to get Aldridge at max. After reading many articles on how they can do it, I still can't wrap my head around it. Are Timmy, Tony, and Manu playing for pistachios?

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Timmy and Manu will end up playing for super cheap. Great for them, but I still don't like that precedent. Just because they do it, not all players should be expected to.

gill likes this.
  5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Duncan, Parker and Ginobili will be making up the difference by moonlighting as Riverwalk tour guides.

gill and therealdeal like this.
  6. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

My basic understanding is that, once they sign LMA, they can then sign TD, Manu, Green, Leonard & go Waaaay over the cap.
    They can't sign their guys 1st & then bring in Aldridge.. But, Yes.. You wouldd assume that Timmy & Manu are coming back for Vets Min.. Crazy

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    No they can't.

LakerFanIam likes this.
  8. therealdeal

They can only go over the cap for Leonard who will ink his deal last. Everyone else has to fit below the limit I believe.

LakerFanIam likes this.
  9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Sure, it's reasonable, I just don't want to hear excuses already from a Lakers mouthpiece. It's weak.

10. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

Wow.. So their Vets are really going to sign for nothing.... Crazy

11. therealdeal

Unless they move a couple more contracts, it looks that way. Both Duncan and Ginobili would sign for less than Diaw... COMBINED.

12. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

They resigned Danny Green to a 4/45 contract, how does that affect their cap situation?

13. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Hilarious, I joke about lobotomy but Pop's players must have been operated on. Leaving money on the table for the team to get FAs. Great stuff for them. I hope it blows up in their faces, just for giggles.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    It's all in Woj's wording. The way he used the phrase could mean two different things. It could mean our presentation was weak and therefore we made no impression in LMA. Or, it could mean that our presentation was fine, but that LMA was already strongly leaning toward the Spurs and it did not make a strong enough impression to change his already set direction.

The first would be a problem going forward. The second is simply what every FO deals with in competing for desirable FAs.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  15. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Plashke is a tool. It was amusing reading the responses he got to that lamebrained tweet.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Depends on the details of the contract. If he signed using Bird Rights his deal could have started as low as 10.03 million. If he signed at a flat rate, he's making 11.25 million a year.

Either way, after Parker (14.4), Diaw (7), Green (10-11.25), Mills (3.2), Anderson (1.2), and cap holds (3.68) they have 26.27 million or so to spend. Aldridge costs 18.8 million and that leaves like 7 million to split with Duncan and Ginobili and Bellinelli.

TIME and XXIV like this.
  17. therealdeal

I know. If the wording was different and it said "Lakers pitch not enough to change Aldridge's mind" that's a different story. And like @RasAlgethi was pointing out, maybe he just wasn't impressed because he didn't think we had enough to compete really next season. That's fine too.

I just am a little concerned about the FO when I read "the Lakers didn't leave a strong impression". That's ALL we should do. We BLITZED Aldridge with all of our stars, our history, our money... We didn't leave a strong impression? That's not good no matter how we try to spin it.

XXIV and lakerjones like this.
  18. trixr4kids

trixr4kids - Rookie -

i believe green's cap hold is 7.5 and they can use bird rights to go over. ginobili is either retiring or will be renounced, then resigned with room exception. so there's some money to play with depending on what duncan does

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If we lose out on LMA, we need to change the approach in which we meet with FAs. Cause apparently it's not working or impressing anyone.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

That's what I'm saying too. Ramona mouthing the Lakers response "Well, San Antonio was the favorite anyway," just sounds like sad, sour grapes to me from our FO. I don't like it at all. Better to say nothing than to give lame excuses right now. We look weak.