Lamarcus Aldridge: Going "home" to the Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Doc Brown, Jun 25, 2015.

1. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Trading youth just because they aren't vets is just dumb. Why trade all the young assets when we can keep them, and get a win now player for him next offseason?

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Because that's not THIS season and he's only got so many years left. It's not dumb if it means you're competitive today. I don't want to trade the youth either... but for the right price? For the price to compete in the playoffs again?... There's very little off the table. We need to make noise this summer or we're never attracting those big name FAs next summer.

Depending on the players we get in return, there shouldn't be anything off the table. I'd rather not trade the young guys because they're cost controlled, but we need to stay open minded.

3. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

I concour completely. I'm tired of the constant scramble to win now, which compromises our future and simply causes us to panic again in a few years. Golden State just showed that you can still win championships by building through the draft. The superteam formula is not a healthy or sustainable winning model to follow.

Well, that sounds ... completely logical. :)

lakersyunowin, LTLakerFan and Weezy like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

There's very few players I would trade for 3 players that could potentially be our starters next season at 3 important positions, for relatively cheap. Russell hasn't played a game yet, Randle hasn't played a full one, and for all we know Clarkson could be a product of putting up big numbers on a bad team, and I still don't trade them for almost anyone. In my mind, Russell, Clarkson, Kobe, Randle, FA signing > Kobe, Cousins, bunch of role players on one year deals we scraped the bottom of the barrel for. If we wanted to make a trade that bad, the only one of those 3 I could live with losing is Clarkson because we have Russell now, but I still don't want it to happen.

Yes, yes they did. OKC also built their core through the draft. It can be done, I can only hope this is all rumor and we are truly not that impatient.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

successful speech therapy?

i'm an a******.

oh, weezy beat me to it.

i'm an inattentive a******. and i'm not alone.

6. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    When they meet with Aldridge they must sell him on the young core they have. All the insider scouting reports, film, plans for managing cap space for the future must be discussed and sold. I don't see them moving Randle, Clarkson, or Russell at all. Aldridge already knows what Clarkson is on the court, he had that memorable game against the Blazers going head to head with Lillard. I'm thinking by saying they will shape the team for his fit means freeing up some more cap space to get a real center, like his former team mate Robin Lopez.

TIME and Snake Eyes like this.
  7. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

This is where I think the Lakers have to be extremely careful to find the right guy in free agency. The older free agents won't want to wait for Russell/JC/Randle to develop, but patience could really pay off here. I'd be extremely wary of trading away the future to appease an older free agent like Aldridge.

8. therealdeal

I don't disagree at all. I'm just saying if landing Aldridge means having to give up ONE of our young guys... Well depending on the return, I'm okay with it. I'm still VERY skeptical that the return would be Cousins. I think the return would be maybe some salary relief, maybe a veteran PG? Maybe a veteran Center that's worth roughly 8 million (our remaining cap after Aldridge + Young and Clarkson's contracts).

What if say you could sign and trade Clarkson/Young/Kelly for Tyson Chandler? You go into the season with:

Russell/vet pickup with Room Exception
    Bryant/J. Brown
    Randle/A. Brown
    Aldridge/Nance Jr.
    Chandler/Black/Sacre

Would you do that?

TIME and Punk-101 like this.
  9. therealdeal

I would too and I'm not saying I agree with the tactic. I think it's Mitch's job to convince the FA that the young guys are not only capable of helping right now, but are there FOR the veterans like Kobe and say Aldridge. They're there as a cost-controlled support system. The Lakers would immediately start marketing for that player as the new face, not necessarily Russell (which is a large part of why Aldridge is leaving).

Also: the LA market is enormous and just BEING a Laker means more exposure and face time even WITH a young dynamic player like Russell as opposed to Portland which went full blitz on Lillard and left Aldridge's name behind.

10. Ryanwestlombardi

Retired
    I'm in a lazy mind set, if Aldridge agrees to the contact offer of 4yrs , 80 mil, where are the Lakers cap wise? If they can dump Young, Sacre and Kelly where does that leave them, what type of exceptions do they have?

11. therealdeal

They'd have roughly 3-5 million left, maybe a little more. The numbers aren't concrete until the 9th when they set the cap figure. Right now it's being reported they sit at roughly 23 million in cap space.

If you dump Sacre, Kelly, and Young, you're looking at just about 30 million left over maybe a little more.

They've got the Room Exception I believe which is in the 3-4 million dollar range.

@Doc Brown is the resident cap expert here though, he'll know more than anyone.

12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I would do that, real. Chandler is on the downside of his career, and he'll be overpaid. I wouldn't have much of problem losing Young and Kelly though, they each seem to have reached the max potential already. I'd rather keep Clarkson and go after cheaper options at center. That's just me though, I really don't want to break up this young core before we've even seen what they can look like playing together. It could be awesome.

13. Ryanwestlombardi

Retired
    That sounds like enough to get a Robin Lopez , or Kosta Koufus, or even Asik, I'm betting all three would enjoy coming to L. A. to be part of this promising young team.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

The Real Reason I changed my Name, Series 1, Part 1 of 5

Because I felt.....

to be continued.

15. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

I was actually surprised to learn he was 32. I really thought he was closer to 38!

16. Ryanwestlombardi

Retired
    I just can not wrap my head around losing Clarkson, his coachability, fire to be great is an uncommon trait not found in many players.

lakersyunowin and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. therealdeal

True or it could be just enough to get us near the playoffs and never over the top, we just don't know.

Again, for me it's on Mitch to convince these guys that we can field a great team without giving up the core young players. Clarkson, Randle, and Russell are our future and they should stay that way BUT if Aldridge says "Hey Mitch I'm in, but you've got to give me (Insert obtainable Center here)"...

Could Mitch reasonably say, "No Lamarcus, we like you but we prefer to build around Jordan Clarkson and Julius Randle". I think that'd be a huge mistake.

If there's a Center that Aldridge likes that we could go get or that we could clear room for, then I do it. Koufos is a FA, maybe he's the guy? I don't know. All I know is I want Aldridge or Jordan and I'll do a lot to make that happen.

jerryr88 likes this.
  18. therealdeal

I think IF we can find a taker for those guys without taking salary back, then yes we could get those players. A guy like Koufos would be a tremendous get if we CAN'T get rid of Young or Kelly or Sacre.

Remember last season Houston had to throw picks at us to take Lin in a similar situation. Are we willing to throw picks away for a shot at Aldridge/Lopez or Aldridge/Koufos or Aldridge/Asik?

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  19. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Gutting the young team for a win now player is not the answer

Im all for signing lamarcus aldridge and a rim protector but trading the youth for veterans is not the answer if anything they gotta sell him on the fact that they'll be in the same position next year to sign another max FA and that we'll also have money the season after that.

I'd hate building a young core and being excited about them just to have them traded

Everyone talks about young guys not being proven but there's also the fact that trading them for veterans doesn't always do the job either

20. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

If he says that yes but if its trade all the young guys for veterans im out

We gotta sell him on our max fa slot for next year

Why trade the young guys when u can bring in whoever to play alongside them next year

We saw that most super teams other than when lebron got lucky in miami never win anything

fabulus likes this.