Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

He could have played with three all time greats in Bron, AD and CarusGOAT.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

check my posts from the day he jilted us and throughout the season. when you go into a season planning to sit back to backs, and then you just think you'll turn it on for a 20-25 game playoff season and win it all? he was breaking down when the raptors won it the year before. i was worried the pandemic break would let him recharge, but he may be a chris paul situation where he simply can't play at a high level on a regular schedule for two full months.

i said he and lebron's time as superstars would end around the same time, despite their age gap. we'll see.

3. Toneloc

Toneloc - Rookie -

yes, i too was worried that the pandemic break would give him and PG ample time to recover, but that simply wasn't the case (damaged goods). when Lebron talked about "being there" for his teammates, he meant both on and off the floor, and while not directed at kawhi specifically (maybe it was?), it can be applied to his situation, especially as we find out more about the chemistry (or lack thereof) issues stemming from special treatment for some on that roster.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    he made sure to mention he never missed a playoff game

:Kobe Snickering:

I thought it was funny he wanted some "damn respect". Some athletes are so sensitive hahahahaa.

Chick the G.O.A.T. and Toneloc like this.
  5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting to see a comment I made 9 months ago was proven right. I was also worried about the pandemic break giving him all the "load management" he would need. But he is broken. He has chronic injuries. If we end up trading for Oladipo this offseason and then sign Gianis next offseason, we definitely would have dodged a MAJOR bullet cause I think Kawhi will be done by then.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  6. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

Covid 19 gave him load management, but it also gave Bron load management without Bron having to deal with the PR of asking for it.

Kawhi underestimated what he was walking into going to the Flippers: Paul George is a one way player in the Playoffs. Lou Williams and Harrell can only score. Beverley can only defend. So much more was expected of him in the Playoffs, and for all the talk of how great he was in the Mavericks series, I personally thought he was outplayed by Luka Doncic.

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

He also wanted to be the headliner, the superstar of his own team. Or one of two. Well he’s not a leader and neither is the other chump he hooked up with. They both got the big heads and believed all of Ballmer’s media influenced press clippings. Whole damn team did. While knowing his physical condition is not getting better. Yet asked for the moon from teams including illegal stuff like the alleged home from Lakers if I recall correctly. Again **** them both.

8. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    There were too many reasons of the Clips failure to count, but IMO Kawhi was certainly one of them. He underachieved and again was playing worse and worse as the playoffs progressed. He's clearly not the superstar/best player in the league he was portrayed to be after last year, or at the very least he's not anymore. He can be devastating in singular games or over a short stretch of games, but not the entire playoffs.

The question is, can the Clips build a team around him that will allow him to miss some of the games in the playoffs? Doesn't seem realistic to me considering they have basically no assets. And his issues (whatever they are) will probably only get worse.

I NEVER wish an injury on any player, but in this specific case I have to admit to feel a certain, not so small amount of Schadenfreude. I hope he doesn't achieve anything more for the remainder of his NBA career.

9. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

I think Kawhi better suits a system. A system where he has his spots to shoot from, and where he is not outside of his comfort zone. He can still be the best player in that system, but it has to be built to maximise what he can do in it.

The Warriors might be 3-0 in the KD era if it weren't for injuries, but I think Kawhi might have suited the Warriors even more than KD did because he would have been able to fit into that system, get the looks he wanted, and then played his role on defence. KD was great in that system, but clearly he has gifts that he wasn't able to showcase in a Warriors system because he loves his iso stuff (and needs to have friends in the locker room who get him etc).

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  10. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    Agreed. From pure basketball perspective Kawhi has basically only one issue. Howevee, it is a kind of huge one - he's damaged knees. I seriously doubt if you can still build a contender around him as the first option and at the max. Guess he'll want to shut everybody up next season, we'll swe how that goes :).

AussieLaker87 likes this.
  11. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

"We" overrated him like crazy , acting like he was a perennial superstar in the playoffs ...

AussieLaker87 likes this.
  12. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

You hate to read it !

From the athletic via sam esfiandiari twitter

[​IMG]

tada, sirronstuff, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  13. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    I hope some day we get to know all the things Kawhi's uncle was able to negotiate from the Clips. I am sure there's a LOT of crazy stuff in there. That makes their current state even more funny btw. They got the supposed best player in the league, gave him everything and more, joepardized their future for many years in the process, and may end up with the same end result as usual in the near future. Couldn't happen to a nicer organization.

14. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I'm just happy Clippers homers will STFU for a while.

I was tired of the BS and overhyping.

15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Oh you haven't heard about how Lue knows Lebron inside and out? How Lue will be able to stop Lebron.

16. LTLakerFan

But WAIT .... there's more? (shout out to late night commercials everywhere)

:More:

On top of his curiously calcifying quad conundrum?

17. LTLakerFan

Not your style @wcs but that sounded almost like an OX "you people" shot. ;) :giggle:

18. LTLakerFan

You go Coach Lue .... get in Snake's face and tell him "No more load managing for you!"

[​IMG]

19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  20. LTLakerFan

LOL is right. Good luck with those. “We got now”? What the H is sitting on his shoulder? Nothing like a monumental choke by your team and you to launch a new shoe. All I got.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.