Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I hope we kept Gunnar for the simple fact that his name is Gunnar.

2. BigSmoove

BigSmoove - Rookie -

This why folks don’t take Broussard serious. Breh went on the radio and said the Lakers were out of the running and the back got on tv and said this lol

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  3. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

This sort of thing always feels weak to me. Any team can slap something like this together. Sure, we have all the history and other goodies that other teams don’t, but the players and their agents know this already. The Lakers shouldn’t be the ones begging. And that’s how stuff like this always feels to me.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It does come off a little bit contrived, but the pitch for Kawhi is still the best with the Lakers. Bullet points are easy (in this order):
    • Load management/physical and mental health focus
    • High end talent
    • Unrivaled Business opportunities
    • legacy/dynasty

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I know what you mean. And that is one of the big reasons why Marco is gone.

:Kobeheadbob:

6. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I'm being sincere here Chief, but has Roggin really broke info on anything before? "According to sources", could very well mean Ayre is his source haha. I mean FoxSports and Yahoo did it for some weird reason...

There's a very convenient narrative here. Players (and what better source than a player themselves) via their Twitter stir up noise. Supposedly LA has already agreed to an AD trade that would cut into their max space limiting that amount from 23-27m depending on what AD does with his trade kicker.

AD starts following DLo on the gram, so now it's safe to assume he would waive his trade kicker for him and that means DLo's max of 27m is now something LA realistically has now, cause the max slot for the Kawhis and Butlers has been supposedly bumbled away by Rob. Meanwhile the Ky/KD team-up in BK happens, which allows DLo to get renounced and become an UFA. Thats the narrative that the media has where it checks off all their boxes.

Lastly for my own personal well-being, I don't want to believe the DLo rumors cause that would mean a shot at Kawhi/Butler (legit star 2way wings) is most likely a scenario that's on thin ice and for us to do a pirouette and change course would be taking those dudes' names in vain....and for what? High usage iced veins?

If and only if we strike out on Kawhi (or Butler) should we go the Dlo @20m contingency route, using the extra cap we have left in getting DJ or Boogie. But DLo at his max is hard pass by me and frankly I'm not buying the rumors of us already setting up meetings with him. Again that would imply we failed elsewhere and I don't want to believe that just yet.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

We have to make our presentation more about on basketball court opportunities then off. What kind of role we see Kawhi playing. Talk about our nutritional people/Judy/training department etc. and what kind of impact that can have on his health and well being. I can’t imagine he won’t be impressed with his tour of the UCLA training center. Make sure there are players there working out and chilling. Let him envision what his lifestyle could be everyday being a Laker.

THEN get to the business opportunity side. Don’t make the same mistake we made with Aldridge. What happens on the court is more important to Kawhi I would think. Play up our loyalty side. Hopefully we have talk to old coaches and people in his circle to get the best clue into what makes Kawhi tick because you know Ballmer has. We need to be as prepared as we can be.

8. therealdeal

Agreed 100%. I keep seeing that Kawhi won't want to be part of a superteam and he won't want to play with LeBron, but at the end of the day having two people who can help him carry the load won't just make for a better/more fun playing experience, but it'll help keep his career going longer. He's GOT to see that.

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I obviously want him here but I could see why someone of his personality would want no part of the Lakers drama.

Big Mamma Jamma and Barnstable like this.
  10. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Will he visit the training center, though? We might just meet him in a hotel. Funny, I imagine, would be the Clips presentation where they take him around Staples, with all the Laker statues and retired jerseys. They might even recycle the Blake Griffin shirts.

Big Mamma Jamma and lakerjones like this.
  11. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I think we have to assume LeBron and AD will be working the phones, and figuring out how to get Kawhi here, if that's even in the cards. I trust their insights and whatever they say far more than anything the Lakers FO, or AEG or Mr. Rambis can put together. If Kawhi comes here, it'll be because of those two guys saying whatever they think Kawhi needs to hear, and not because of a PowerPoint deck on "legacy" and "global brand."

Big Mamma Jamma and therealdeal like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

They could have new Kawhi shirts but I don't know how you top the roster they had on Blake's.

[​IMG]

13. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Bruh...no meetings necessary. Just have Bron sit in dude's Rancho Santa Fe driveway till the clock strikes 3:01pm on the 30th.

14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    If Bron gets Kawhi to sign, he surpasses Jerry West as the best GM this team has ever had:Kobe Snickering:

15. xkirax

xkirax - Rookie -

I think your wrong in this one. The issue with Aldridge was we didn't know anything about him and went the wrong way with him. We didn't do our home work. With Kawhi we already know he wants a Star he wants to work on his brand. It is the main reason he left SA and was complaining about his shoe deal. He is also huge on trust i would be pointing out that MrRaptor was shipped off for him when TOR thought he wasnt cutting it anymore while we gave a Hurt Kobe a huge payday..

Order should be.
    Marketing
    Trust
    Load Managing
    Then Basketball

We have Lebron and Davis. Unless Uncle Denis And Kawhi have been under a rock they know that and they also know who those players are... With Aldridge what did we have nothing really that's why it should of been about basketball and what we was going to do going forward...

16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

I think the Lakers are going after Kawhi first. And if he doesn't come, I actually think D'Angelo is next in line.

Theory with all this smoke with D'Angelo is maybe Pelinka never wanted to trade him and now he wants to make amends with Russell being where he is.

Plus, money wise, need and younger could be factors as well.

17. therealdeal

We're pitching to Kawhi on the court, not Uncle Dennis. The business will speak for itself. If money was the most important concern to Kawhi, he would have stayed in San Antonio or he'll stay in Toronto.

18. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

We are talking about what we are pitching to Kawhi. Truth is the business side has likely already been pitched to him, whether it be by AEG and New Balance via Uncle Dennis like Mr. Rambis alluded to, or New Balance by themselves. New Balance almost certainly wants Kawhi in purple and gold. The built-in Laker fan base is well over twice that of the Clippers and Raptors COMBINED. So I really don't think we need to concentrate on his branding and business opportunities in the pitch. He likely has been brought up to speed on that. The Load Management by having other stars, the opportunity to add rings to his legacy, the chance to form one of the most legendary duos in league history with AD...these are the things Kawhi will likely want to hear about.

19. xkirax

xkirax - Rookie -

I spoke nothing about Money... I said Marketing and his Brand while yes those stuff do make money they are not all they have. I will quote Kuzma
    "'I'd Rather Be Talked About Bad in LA' Than Irrelevant in Orlando". It was the main reason he switched from Jordan to NB. Kawhi trust Uncle Dennis so he matters also. Trust is also big with Kawhi he keeps a small group of friends for a reason. Sale people dont always just sell to the person buying they also sell to the people around them to help them complete the sale.

20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

If the Lakers pull some b******* marketing crap on Kawhi without him asking about it, Lakers will lose.

Kawhi and AD for the next decade win 5 titles. That is what you push hard on. And everyone knows the Lakers take care of their stars.

That's the sell and it should work if Kawhi is indeed focused on winning. The endorsments will come regardless.

Cookie likes this.