Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Going to the Clippers literally makes ZERO sense especially if lakers load up with a 3rd superstar (Butler, Kemba, Kyrie). Does he really want to lose to us every year for the next 3 years?

therealdeal likes this.
  2. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

he'd be the clippers face of the franchise and undoubted leader. with the lakers he'd be 3rd fiddle behind lebron and AD

its pretty obvious why he'd rather play for the clips

3. fabfourlakers

He just won an NBA championship and is arguably the best player in the league while LeBron and AD both missed the playoffs this past year. How exactly is he gonna be 3rd fiddle behind these guys?

4. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.

Face of a nothing franchise = :SmushFail2:

In our pitch I would make it clear that he would have first priority ahead of LBJ and AD. I'd also emphasize the Load Management possibilities with the Lakers compared to the Clips. Doc would ride him into the ground.

5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

because lebron is the clear #1 and face of the franchise while AD is the hot new acquisition who has been talked about for months now

why would he pass up the chance to play in LA and be the face of the franchise and clear #1?

therealdeal likes this.
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I found the original letsgoclippers guys!

1. Lebron is a pass first player. At his advanced age, he'd probably be playing point forward with Davis and Kawhi being 1A/1B options anyways.
    2. Kawhi was on a Raptors team where he needed extended rest because he was playing too much. He'll have to do the same on the Clippers with a team full of journeymen.
    3. Kawhi also likes...winning. He got lucky the Warriors team broke down so his ragtag Raptors team could win. Not gonna happen again with the Clippers with similar makeup in a even more competitive West.
    4. The Clippers have already shown they are not loyal to their star players. After rolling out the red carpet for Blake, they just sent him away the next year. Why would Kawhi want to go to that?
    5. Lebron leaves in 3 years, then it's the Kawhi/AD show.

Tell me, what do the Clippers offer other than "being the #1 guy"? He could get more money and still be the "face of the franchise" in Toronto in a less competitive East.

7. fabfourlakers

LeBron is on his way out. This will be Kawhi and AD's team and they'll rule the league for the next decade or so (and Lakers will have the ability tos urround them with role players or star players or BOTH when leBron trails off into the sunset).

MambaMentality likes this.
  8. fabfourlakers

Also, wouldn't it be great for Kawhi to "carry" LeBron and AD to a championship? That is what the narrative will be GIVEN LeBron and AD did NOT even make the playoffs the previous year and Kawhi carried a team with no other superstar to a title. Sorry, I'm not buying the "This is LeBron's team". He hasn't proven s*** on the Lakers to call it "his" team.

9. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

Vic The Brick and Guillermo

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

you make good points. but i still think the clippers are where he'll land although if he stayed in toronto that wouldn't surprise me at all

hopefully they emphasize that it'll be him and AD running the show in a few years once lebron is gone because that's key in my opinion

kawhi is a weird guy. and like i said, if going to the clips guarantees he'll be their face of the franchise for years to come then i don't see him turning it down. even if he is turning down a chance to play with lebron and AD

11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

[​IMG]

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Why be the face of the Clippers? Can you give a good argument for it? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely wondering.

TIME and ElginTheGreat like this.
  13. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    He becomes a God for that franchise (if they win). Not the city.. the franchise.

So yeah, no real upside aside from the location of the stadium.

14. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

why not? why take less money to play with 2 other stars? kawhi doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is down to form a superteam

he just won a title out east. he signs with the clips, becomes their undoubted leader, and takes on a new challenge

15. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Can AD legally be in the room or involved in the pitch since he’s not signed yet? I know players don’t have to adhere to the same rules as teams but I’d hate to see some other team make a stink about it and we get in trouble. I’m sure we could say he came to the meeting as a friend of Kawhi but nobody’s going to fall for that.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  16. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

I can't speak to what Kawhi wants, nor can anyone for that matter.

However, we're all operating under the assumption that Kawhi would come here for the max, and not be taking a paycut.

ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. MambaMentality

MambaMentality - Rookie -

It’s not a BS move when he just showed himself to be capable of carrying a rag tag team to the NBA Title and win finals MVP. KD didn’t prove it, he took the easy path to rings and finals mvps. This is why KD wants to leave GS now, because he can’t simply create enough burner accounts to change the narrative. Kawhi’s legacy is set having accomplished what he did without needing another SuperStar to win his second ring and second Finals MVP. He comes to the Lakers now, he more than LeBron or AD, would be viewed as the man who brought the Lakers back to Greatness.

18. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Starting with "why not" is a bad look. There's far more reasons not to sign with the Clippers than with them, but okay fine. Let's examine your reasoning.

1) Doesn't seem like the guy to form a superteam. Based on what? Has he said anything to make you think that? Has he expounded a lot about loyalty and winning "the right way"? I don't remember any of that if he has.

2) He just won a title out East seems like it makes more sense to stay out East then.

3) He takes on a new challenge as the undoubted leader of the Clippers. Didn't Chris Paul do that? He failed and he failed with the same coach Leonard will have. He failed with a better roster than Leonard will have. And when it was time to move on from Chris Paul, didn't the franchise compare Blake Griffin to Gandhi, MLK, and Einstein promising to put his name and jersey up in the rafters of Staples and then sent him away immediately after that? Why should Kawhi trust a franchise like the Clippers won't just send him out of LA at the first opportunity if he gets hurt again?

4) The Lakers have the ability to get to 32.5m. He'd be taking a paycut of roughly 1.9m dollars to sign with the Lakers. A paycut sure, but if 1.9m is the difference in Kawhi's mind between LAC and LAL, then all power to him.

I'm sorry, but this argument just doesn't hold enough water for me.

19. MambaMentality

MambaMentality - Rookie -

The Clippers have nothing to offer Kawhi that the Lakers cannot: 1) supporting cast, anytime you can play with two other top 5/top 10 talents, you defer to that over playing with a bunch of Thomas The Choo Choo Train players on a middle of the pack playoff team in the west. 2) Also, let’s not discount the ability to maximize off the court earnings as a Laker as compared to being a Clipper.

The Clippers only have the Lakers on PR spin. Steve Ballmer being a billionaire gives him zero leg up since this is not baseball, the Salary Cap restricts his ability to throw money around like a drunken sailor. Also lets remember the Clippers had zero intentions of making the playoffs last year-the trade of Tobias Harris was the proof. That roster overachieved.

fabfourlakers likes this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

kawhi is the anti-NBA superstar. we all know that about him. he's different

most guys would be lining up to play with AD and LBJ. don't see kawhi doing that. he wants his own challenge and the clippers can offer that

obviously i hope he signs with LAL but they NEED to sell him on the fact that once lebron leaves it'll be him and AD. that's the most important thing to me.