Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I agree and I'm not sure it's that far fetched. Durant has already done the unpredictable before. There are rumors circulating that Durant and Curry sort of didn't along too well in the Playoffs. There's already rumors of Durant leaving Golden State eventually. I wouldn't be at all surprised at all if Golden State breaks up next summer and the addition or Cousins might be an indication of desperation to keep things rollint a la Malone and Payton in 04 more than a dominating move.

2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Agree:

Durant -> Leonard -> Thompson

Odds:

No -> Maybe -> No

3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Durant taking Curry's shine? I still don't peg him jumping ship with Kerr and Lacob being very good at stifling conflicts. Durant goes...their championship chances are out the window. Cousins is a one year rental at best. He wants the money and as of now in a prove it deal.

4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

This in today from WOJ as rebuttal of that San Diego piece re: Kawhi.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...ade-kawhi-leonard-los-angeles-lakers-clippers

NBA Free Agency Rumors: Even after trade, Kawhi Leonard is thinking ‘he’s headed to L.A. next year’
    Kawhi Leonard is reportedly warming to playing in Toronto, but still seems interested in coming to Los Angeles (and maybe the Lakers) next summer.
    By AnthonyIrwinLA@AnthonyIrwinLA Jul 23, 2018, 2:01pm PDTSHARE
    [​IMG]Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
    As soon as Kawhi Leonard was traded to the Toronto Raptors, rumors started swirling about whether he would even report to camp or to the team at all this season. That was pretty quickly squashed, but speculation has continued about whether he actually wants to be there.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN offered an update on that situation, and, well, it’s the kind of thing fans of the Los Angeles Lakers (and Clippers for that matter) want to hear (via ESPN/Reddit).

Not trading Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, two unprotected picks and another couple pick swaps down the road was inarguably the smart move. The San Antonio Spurs demanded that knowing the Lakers weren’t going to meet that asking price.

Yes, the Lakers are risking another Paul George situation, but at no point while George was in Oklahoma City last year did any reports like this come to the surface. Comparing George to Leonard is not the way to go about things here. George seemed open to re-signing in OKC almost as soon as he landed there.

Hell, George even went so far as to say the Lakers missed their chance by not trading for him.

Kawhi seems to be a lot more willing and able to stand by his word. His camp has made no qualms about it. He’s wanted to be in Los Angeles this entire time, and whether that’s with the Clippers or Lakers is fair to wonder about, but he’s stood firm on the destination city.

The Raptors have quite a bit of work to do to convince him otherwise, it would seem.

Not sure why it's not embedding the quote from WOJ which appears in the article. It says that he might warm to Toronto but right now in his mind he's still going to LA next year.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Well there's your proof. He freaking painted his scalp gold.

:Noddingyes:

6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

why the hell would kawhi rather play for the clippers? their best player is tobias harris (lols) and he just turned down their offer for an extension

sounds just like some made up BS to create drama

but anyways, i won't be convinced kawhi truly wants to be a laker until he is one

7. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

That's all from an old WOJ interview during the ESPYS. Still hope it's true, though...

therealdeal likes this.
  8. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

9. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

My bad i missed the text. The average player has more charisma than Snell, never heard Wesley Johnson talk, not even sure who he is.

10. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Uh oh. He's "telling us". funny because, THAT is the off-the-rack take. Consider what has been said by the real source (Kawhi) to date.

Couple things about hearsay: When it's exactly 180 degrees the opposite of what the actual source says is going to happen, and it's further guaranteed with such convincing statements as: "It's going to happen" and "I'm telling you". Don't put money on it. Why the conspiratorial tones? "Told me privately" eh? Told a newspaper reporter something that was "private"? Intelligent. This story couldn't be more flaky. Call the BS police.

Not only is the source not named (other than apparently someone at the San Diego Tribune) but it's also not the actual source. The source is someone this person (who we don't know), knows. Credibility with a soggy graham cracker-like solidity to it.

I find it amusing that someone thinks Kawhi's gonna react like that to Toronto. I know I mentioned it before but I was born in San Diego, raised mostly in Riverside area and then LA. Wife is from Toronto. I've spent around 4 months there over the years. First time I went there was in a December and some of January years ago. About 5 weeks. Didn't care for it, I was wooed and taken everywhere, a few Maple Leaf games with prim-o tickets, ate at nice places. It's cool but the weather just sucks. Great for skiing which I've done my whole life, but I can do it here. And we have actual mountains here (NBA players are prohibited from skiing). Driving is not fun, to be nice. When the temp really drops after everything is wet and sloshy (which it is a lot) it's a nightmare. If you don't know how to drive on the ice you will slide around a lot. You might anyways if you drive around in a s*** car like I did. You know in LA how you walk out the door in December with shorts, tee-shirt, flip flops and go to the store? Nope. You need to bundle up because if your car breaks down.... Also the temperature actually feels colder there than it is due to humidity from the Great Lakes.

As far as the city itself, it's a large city and so it has plenty of restaurants, shopping, clubs etc. It doesn't compare to LA in basically any regard that I can think of. Well in the summer it has the nicer parks and scenery and is less urban feeling for sure but Kawhi won't be there then. I am doing a October - Apr/May comparison. San Diego or LA (particularly the beach cities) are far more beautiful just on the basis of sunshine in those months. There is some ethnic diversity but it's mostly white and asian. I really don't see many people of African ethnicity when I'm there. There are more than in some places like Edmonton though (where there is almost none) also I've been told there are more in certain areas so in Central Toronto there may be less. I just looked it up and it says there is 8%, it didn't seem like that to me (like I said certain areas more than others). Kawhi will be in Central Toronto.

To be fair, I'm more of an (slight) outdoors person than some. I like to get out and go places. Hiking, beach, skiing and also more tame stuff like go to the movies. This stuff is exponentially more difficult in winter in Toronto (except skiing) . The first time I drove in Toronto (a piece of crap Toyota with probably some not-so-good tires) I was doing about 30 and the car went into about a 75 foot slide as I approached a stop light and it stopped about 4 feet before I hit a car (it was icy). That was my first experience driving there. I'm sure Kawhi will drive something safer or be driven but good luck with selling him on Toronto vs So Cal folks. I think the task is monumental "I'm telling you".

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think west is planning to recruit in tandem (like we tried). kawhi + durant would be the coup that i imagine is on their whiteboard right now.

on the second point: i agree. i never fully bought the george story (for good reason, it appears), and this does feel similar. that said, i think we have a better chance at leonard than we did george because (as i said earlier in the thread) leonard not only wanted out of SA, he seemed to want some control in where he went. george just wanted out of indy, and he used the FA threat as leverage. this was evidence by his immediate satisfaction with the trade to okc. leonard's camp emitted no such satisfaction.

the quote from someone close to him may end up legit. maybe kawhi is the kind of guy who can get accustomed and be sold on things. but i think toronto's organizational culture can't be great right now (okc's seems to be), and it's a hinterland in nba terms, which is part of why leonard didn't like SA in the end (though i still think it was about the injury and the failure to offer the super max).

anyway, it was smart not to meet their ridiculous demands. i skewered the FO for not trading for george, and i stand by that today. i think we could have had him for ingram/deng/1st, and we'd be in better shape today had we done it. but this time, the asking price was too high and the return too uncertain.

alam1108 likes this.
  12. therealdeal

No those are average players. If you don't know them, then all you're doing is proving my point. LeBron has more charisma than almost any star in the NBA and is among the most charismatic players the NBA has ever seen.

[​IMG]

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i thought this no charisma stuff was bout leonard lol

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  15. therealdeal

[​IMG]

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

You love Bron's charisma...

17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I [​IMG] @therealdeal 's gif game

TOTALLY different. Jus' sayin'

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

that comment bout liking tor was from norman powells mom. who also lives in sd and might have ties to leonards mom....in otherwords strawman reach BIG time

19. jordan-esque

jordan-esque - Rookie -

20. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

[​IMG]

They are average players but not in terms of charisma. Everybody knows who Kawhi is does not make him very charismatic based on what i have seen.

[​IMG]