Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

How long do we have to match Dallas’ offer, and do we still have 2 max spots to offer if we match on Randle?

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

We have just 2-3 days to match on Julius and no we would have just one max slot even if we stretched Deng.

3. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

If I am GM of the Lakers, I do not pay Julius Randle 18 million in any scenario. UNLESS it was for 2 years MAX.

4. Weezy

I probably would retain Randle for the $18 mil then, because I don’t particularly care to sign LeBron, and I’d be happy to even sign PG alone. But that scenario is still tricky because I don’t think it would happen. I think PG would tell us early on if he wants to sign alone or if he wants LeBron too and we’d have a clearer picture on if we’d HAVE to match on Randle or not. But, without that knowledge I probably match at $18 mil because that’s still a moveable deal at his increasing production if it didn’t work out. If Crabbe got that, it’s not crazy for Randle. I’d be incredibly reluctant to go higher than that, though, and anything $20 mil and above I’d say goodbye and good luck, be happy that he got a huge payday for his family and move on. I like Randle a lot, he worked hard to become very reliable in the 2nd half of the season, but I don’t think he’s earned a star player’s salary yet.

5. Weezy

I think a good comparison would be like Greg Monroe or Isaiah Thomas (maybe a couple other guys) years back. We were eager to sign one of those guys back then for around $18 mil, and Randle’s numbers are right around what Monroe was putting up then. It’s not a crazy number to me to offer a player that has shown the improvement he has in 4 seasons, especially since he didn’t even get to play his first year, so really 3 seasons of actual play.

Big Mamma Jamma and Barnstable like this.
  6. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Technically doe... Curry>randle right?

7. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    So bottom line and sorry to ask again, no Deng stretch...bottom line available salary for Randle if we sign George and Lebron?

Side point so LT, I've fallen for Randle again don't get me wrong... But man if we sign those 2 I dunno if it happens cause from what I recall it's like 14ish left over money for Randle if we sign the guys above.

If we just sign George I'm thinking if he'll take a HUGE like 40 mill deal for 1 year so we can get a discount for a follow up extension. Is that against the rules to front load something like that? Cause then if we get Kawhi for free in 2019 and retain all our youth we could build a successful team for hopefully over a decade.

8. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

These guys have a warm feeling about Randle for some reason. They are going to bring in stats, PERs, slugging pct and on base percentages. All the while, Laker fans are watching the 4th spring in a row with zero games on the tube. And yet, I am suppose to be convinced that 0 players are supposed to be brought back at high salaries because they played hard the last 30 games of the year, ON A CONTRACT year. What a concept. I haven't seen that before in sports.

Here is some real info:

Julius Randle is an ISO big. An ISO big who can't shoot and is average at passing out from the paint. He averages a charge per game because his fundamentals are below average. I want you to also imagine Randle playing against Anthony Davis and Rudy Gobert for the next 5 years when and if the Lakers start going to the playoffs. I want you to imagine what Pau Gasol used to do to Carlos Boozer in every match up with him. Because that's whats going to happen to Randle when games really start to matter. He wont be able to ISO and rumble his way to the basket. If he tries to back down the Davis and Gobert's of the world, they will send the basketball to Jerry Buss's old private box in Staples. Why? Because his footwork is crap. His focus is hit and miss and anytime he plays against a skilled 7 footer who can block shots, he is completely shut down.

If Randle wants to be a 6th man of the year guy, I'm cool with that. But if this team is to become a title winning team, Randle can not be a major cog in that line up. He isn't good enough. He is a role player who should be paid role money. $10-$12 per season. Anymore, you risk having to start sending draft picks and talent to clear his salary. I would think Laker fans who have been around the last decade would have learned what happens when the Lakers offer too much money to average players.....Luke Walton.....Mosgov......Deng...., etc

9. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Gobert isn't good on offense. ..randle would be very useful Vs Capella and draymond.

I get your point but he has been ascending. Every year. How much he has left in his ceiling I dunno. But I know he's not peaked.

10. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

We will know in 6 weeks how serious this team will be.

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It was the criteria he set and he doesnt like it so now its a "stat".

Genuinely im not sure Ox knows how stats work. This is pretty simple arithmetic. It's no more complicated than balancing a checkbook. It's way simpler actually.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What's that mean ... if the Lakers retain Randle for not 12-15M but more 17-18 ish .... there will still be no crow eaten in addition to my $10? It will be you simply saying Magic and Rob and Luke really don't get winning basketball like you do? You're not giving yourself an out here are you with the "we'll see if the team is serious"?

13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

If the Lakers give Julius Randle 18 million per year for 5 years, the Lakers are not serious about winning titles.

14. LTLakerFan

No g-damn it. Anything over 15 and you deserve a family of crows if you're a man about it. As will I. You can't double down like LaVar Ball with no more credibility than he has that you simply know more than the entire organization. F*** that attitude.

15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I don’t think anyone will begrudge Julius if he takes a big offer elsewhere.

16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Dude, I knocked the Mosgov signing out of Dodgers Stadium. Where have I been wrong on anything I have said? The results are what they are. It has nothing to do with how I feel. I am not thinking about Julius Randle. All I care about right now is Paul George signing July 1st. Once that happens, I will be waiting to see what Lebron does. Randle is an after thought. I couldn't care less if he signs or not. He is a role player.

17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

That will be good. Then we don't waste big money on him and then Rob can figure out how to ship Deng for something. Maybe use Randle in a sign and trade or something I would be down for that.

Lakers have a good core building. BI, Kuz, Ball, Hart. Some good vets on the team if they can take good contracts like IT and Lopez. Now they add two stars to that team and they are set for a run. As one of those stars gets old, they have the young core to pick it up.

18. LTLakerFan

Randle is not the same case as Mozgov. And you're still hanging your hat on that. So you're answering the question ... you are giving yourself an out to weanie out. We all want PG 1st.

19. LTLakerFan

If he gets an offer too high we don't want to match sign and trade of some sort would be the smart thing to do. No credit for you on that. More so you still look silly with all the 10-12M only he's worth in the NBA.

20. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

And you also managed to compare Randle to Erick frickin Dampier. I won’t waste my time quoting your posts from all last summer. This charade is tiring and Randle’s performance this past year makes you look foolish.

Battle Tested20, tada and therealdeal like this.