Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Randle can be maddening to watch. I love his hustle and energy that resulted in 21 points and 10 rebounds in 24 minutes. But his TO's, bonehead decisions under the basket, and other questionable plays can make me pull my hair out.

jbiggs, abeer3, lakerfan2 and 7 others like this.
  2. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Randle is awesome but he is predictable. He keeps coming back and drop stepping to go up with his left hand. I know he got mauled in the paint but we've seen it too often and they have a beat on him. He is not progressing in that part of the game. He is who he is but it's frustrating he doesn't have a counter to any of the moves. No Plan B

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    he needs to stay within his very limited game, and just do it well

it works for him and us when he does

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Wow, bullet dodged. Very revealing that we are open to talks about Randle though.

7. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm not so sure it was a "dodged bullet". If we don't plan on keeping Randle this summer, in order to clear cap space for FA's, then we don't have much interest in trading him except for picks. Dallas may make a run at him in free agency if we let him go.

8. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I still love Randle. Monstrous energy tonight channeling his anger from sitting all but 8 against the Rockets. That's what you do. Get mad and get even. His third personal in the first half was dumb (the illegal screen) and as has been mentioned he tried to go one on three too many times but he was still a beast. He also got no love down there and was getting pummeled where we couldn't breathe on Durant without a foul call. Overall pretty damn fine effort and he knocked down two threes!! 21 and 10 in 24 points with 2 steals and a block.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    agreed. Some of those defensive lapses make me so upset. It's a bummer because I trust Larry so much more defensively but when Randle has his energy and mind in the right spot he can be special.

10. Weezy

I consider it a dodged bullet because I don’t want Noel anywhere near this team. That’s all we need is that rumor coming true, Noel finding his way here and then LeBron coming along holding us hostage to sign him to big money and then he’ll sign with us. Another JR Smith and Tristan Thompson, no way. I’d rather keep Randle if that’s the case.

11. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I don't know if its possible to keep Randle and get 2 max guys next year, but the more I watch him play the more I just wish we would embrace him as a true player for us going forward with plans to keep him. I'd trade Clarkson in a heartbeat over Randle.

12. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ it's possible (i think Real said so).

therealdeal likes this.
  13. therealdeal

Well that's a really unlikely situation. LeBron probably would require another max contract and in order to get to that max contract, we'd have very little money left over. Noel would probably be somewhere in the 4 million dollar range or something. Of course, there's a possibility that LeBron would agree to sign here and make Noel one of his big FA requests, but we're in a different situation to the Cavs. If he did that, he'd really weaken his ability to field a good team.

If I had to guess, I'd say the trade was something like Deng/Randle for Noel/Harris or Noel/McRoberts or maybe even Noel/protected 1st. It's not the return I want for Randle, but it's the sort of trade I honestly expect this FO to make. They obviously don't value Randle much for the future.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think that was the lakers' proposal, but it seems that if deng's name comes up without ball/kuz/ingram, everyone's hanging up.

i'm guessing dallas said: noel for randle, straight up. la laughed. la said: deng/randle for noel/harris/mcbobs, and dallas laughed. conversation over.

i floated a deal centered on powell and randle a while back that i thought could clear some space. something like deng/randle for powell/harris/mcbobs. but i think dallas likes powell too much.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

We needed his energy out there but man did he try to force it too much at the end there and kept getting blocked by the long KD and Green.

Cookie likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Yep I think this is exactly how it went. Woj has never had much love for the Lakers, but I'm not sure this type of leak is going to earn him any favors. I don't know how this helps anyone really. I mean it's obvious at this point that the Lakers are planning on moving on from Randle, but for Noel? That'd be a bit of a let down given our situation.

It seems nobody is taking on Deng, so the return on Randle needs to be solid. I'm obviously hoping we can wait until the deadline and flip him for George or Cousins if one of those teams is struggling. There's no rush on us moving him really anyway.

ElginTheGreat and lakerjones like this.
  17. lakerjones

True, and got fouled by them as well with no calls.

tada and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  18. lakerjones

This validates what I was saying earlier this year, I don't think anyone is taking Randle in a Deng dump. Since the market isn't there for the Deng dump I hope we at least hold on to him until important decisions need to made. No trading him for peanuts, it's not worth it and will hurt our abilities to win now, as well as our possibilities this summer if we strike out in FA.

Yes, if you can package him for one of those stars, you do it no questions asked. But also as I said, I don't see either of those teams giving up on PG or Cousins this season before it all plays out. I don't see OKC falling, I see them getting better. If they get the 4 or 5 slot I think they have a good shot to get to the second round. After that it's anyone's guess. I'm hoping they have issues in the playoffs and PG decides to leave ultimately. Similarly I don't see Cousins getting moved at the deadline. The Pelicans are doing pretty well with him and he hasn't been disgruntled there at all. They should be in the playoff hunt this year as well.

tada likes this.
  19. Weezy

Woj has gone to the dark side. If he had any love for the Lakers before he had to leave it at the door when he entered ESPN. I’m all for trying to get Cousins for Randle and pieces not named Ball, Ingram, or Kuzma.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  20. therealdeal

Everything is pretty fluid I think on those teams. Davis could go down and the Pelicans lose 8 games in a row and all of a sudden the landscape changes. It's just something we all need to keep in mind and hope for!

As for Randle I'm mixed on this. If we feel confident that we'll clear space and get two guys, I think it might be prudent to move Julius at the deadline instead of missing out on everyone. It's clear the FO has little plans to keep Julius as a centerpiece. Do we get something for him in Feb or do we just take our chances and lose him for nothing if we have to? I don't know. Still debating.