Jerry West To The Tenants.

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by John3:16, May 31, 2017.

1. Jazzygirl205

Jazzygirl205 - Rookie -

I'll feel so betrayed. Please don't let it happen.

2. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Jerry West is always good in my book. Supposedly he reached out to us but management had other plans.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That seemed totally like fake news at the time. Heading right into the most important time of the year for the Warriors? Jerry's not that kind of guy right?

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so. That team is sort of stuck where they are. How do the Clippers get better fast? The only way I can think of is to sign both Blake and CP3 and hope to flip Blake at the deadline for a wing like Butler or PG13 if he's still on the Pacers roster. They have a lot of money wrapped up in Crawford, Rivers and Jordan. Add in 30 million for CP3, they're capped out. Who can they add to take them to the next level? They are also going to lose Reddick which will hurt since he's the best shooter they got. Honestly, if I were the Clippers I'd let Blake and CP3 walk, try to package DeAndre with Rivers to get back an expiring and maybe a pick, and start from scratch.

5. LTLakerFan

..... and you'd think at 79 starting over would not look attractive to West with the Lakers coming back right at that same point in time.

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Dang, if Jerry built a winner with the Clippers.... he'll be all, "Remember me guys?"

[​IMG]

For his health sake, I hope he chooses anyone else. I can understand wanting a challenge, but why fight a curse in your golden years?

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

:Mindblown:

8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Oh god no, I never thought of this possibility.

Please no..

Cookie likes this.
  9. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

No.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think savory's right. the bold move is to clean house and collect assets. it's not a sure thing, but maybe with west driving the talent acquisition, there's a chance. that's more than they have with their current core.

therealdeal likes this.
  11. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...Warrior management probably smart enough to retain his counsel. Just a courtesy to West in allowing him to speak with the Clippers.

lakerjones, 432J and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

Revealing Broderick Turner article covering all this.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-jerry-west-20170601-story.html

Bottom line I think is he is 79 and Jeanie would not have looked there first, nor would have wanted the publicity prior to making her decisions to oust Jim and Mitch. There certainly is no feeling of the Lakers now having a "lighter weight" basketball minded front office / coach situation with the four headed coalition in place now of Magic, Luke, Kobe as consultant and Pelinka. And in the prime of their energy levels as driven competitive basketball businessmen. Seems to be a case of yeah really do you need, great as he is, West to be one more cook in the kitchen?

The Clippers, their stench and curse and financial situation with Paul and Blake might at his age finally be too big a hurdle to clear. Yeah if he took it he very likely would need to take Ryan as well. Someone is coming after Ryan at some point. His title surely doesn't have a lot of juice to the sound of it, though obviously he's integrally a key player in the Lakers FO. No idea how well he is paid compared to some team or West wanting him for GM of Clippers (hypothetically).

13. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

that would really suck to see jerry team up with the JV team. i doubt the warriors will let him go though

i mean, i understand jeannie not being for it just because this is a "new era" for the lakers and she doesn't want to bring back anyone from the past but come on, it's the logo. he was a great player but he's been an even better executive. he's the one guy from the past I would love to see return to the organization, especially now that ryan is going to take on a major role

Cookie likes this.
  14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Seems more like he just talked to Ballmer in passing, but a marriage isn't likely if that's all we're going by in that LA Times article.

Honestly if he did that, I wouldn't care all that much. At almost 80 years old, I don't think Jerry has a lot left in the tank to turn around a problem like the Clippers. Good luck to him. I'd like to have him here, but it's possible he wants more than we have to offer too. He may want a stronger position than we're willing to offer which I'm okay with too. The young West son is doing his thing.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

Love that Jerry scrunched up his face ;) to show how much he dislikes LaVar Ball ...

[​IMG]

.... and said this,

West was also asked about LaVar Ball, whose son Lonzo Ball has been considered a top-two choice who many expect the Lakers to select with the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.

“I wouldn’t want a father like that, to be honest with you,” West said. “I think he puts an added pressure on his kid. You know he loves his kid, you know that. But this should be about his kid and not about him.”

Weezy and Cookie like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

Just saw a sound & video bite from Steve Kerr on Channel 7 news Sports section saying they hope he stays with GS rather than going to Clippers. And that he was instrumental in bringing KD to Warriors.

I'm a little nervous. Could he feel dissed enough from over the years with the Lakers .... first Phil Jackson and his pissy attitude letting him know he wasn't welcome in the locker room / around the team, to now .... no offer from Jeanie and the FO to be part of this Lakers "Phoenix rising from the ashes" period ..... to go to the Clippers and build a super team around LeJerk in the summer of 2018?

I mean Jerry would know how to do that and bring the right pieces and make it all work financially after LeQuit gets his big contract.

Still don't want LBJ's carpetbagging a** on the Lakers.

John3:16 and sirronstuff like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

It's looking more and more like Jerry is going to join the Clippers. Plaschke's article says his contract is up in July and he still lives in L.A. and wants to be close to home. Apparently did want to come back to Lakers but no room after Jeanie made her decisions. Not happy with this and I could see him luring LeBron in a couple years if Lakers don't take him, which many of us don't want. That didn't mean I wanted him next door with the tenants who were just getting ready to implode. Now they'll have someone to make more of the right moves for the pickle they're in. F***!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-west-plaschke-20170610-story.html

John3:16 and abeer3 like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

impossible. jim buss was the root of all problems here.

19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Poor Jim always get's the blame when it was Kupchak who pulled the strings. Those last two idiotic signings are pure Mitch, obviously the weak minded fool Jimbo was convinced by it but well he's a dumb a**

20. LTLakerFan

If Jerry wants to stay in So Cal close to home you'd "bet" GS would be happy with him tele-commuting 90% of the time for his Board of Directors functions. Why the Clippers? To spite the Lakers? Because good ole almost 80 Jerry still burns so hot he needs that challenge still? Really Jerry .... the Clippers??

I'd vote for spite, for the way he was treated once Phil arrived, and now with both Phil and Jim out of the picture he still doesn't get the invite back. But maybe he's just wired for the challenge?