Head Coach Frank Vogel Discussion: The Fall Guy

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 13, 2019.

1. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I don’t miss Kidd at all. Not even sure what he did on the bench last year. It’s not like our offense was gangbusters last year. Dallas isn’t tearing it up with him as a coach either. They are 9-7, so they have played 2 less games and have the same amount of wins.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

same could be said of fizdale, is he actually running an offense out there?

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Wanted to reply to this, but didn’t want to derail the Westbrook thread. I don’t think coaching is our only problem at all, but it’s definitely a big one. Frank cannot stop playing players that are of little to no value, that’s coaching

I agree with takes like these. I also don’t think Vogel is a bad coach, but when a team quits on their coach or stops trying it’s very sad to watch. This team has quit on Vogel.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Nobody has quit on Vogel, he's just playing the wrong people. He is the head coach, he controls who plays and who doesn't.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  5. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Kidd was buddying up to people like Duds because he knew he was likely going to be throwing together another coaching squad. What was he going to do anyways? Tell Lebron what to do? Is Fizz going to? Fizz may be up to the same thing in the background though his chances of ever seeing a head coach seat again are far less than Kidds was. Temporarily maybe, in the case of a mid-season firing of Vogel. Hollins was up there in age and isn't in a new position so he may be retiring.

I think there's something to be said about not hiring former head coaches as assistants as their agendas may be a little different. I'm sure there are exceptions but if I'm a head coach, I don't care for it.

Cookie likes this.
  6. Weezy

You really like to play contrarian and state opinions as fact. There’s a reason you won’t see me interacting with you much, if at all. I like to have discussions, not just hear repeatedly eh it’s fine, he’s the coach he’s fine, he’s a superstar, he doesn’t have flaws or any faults… etc etc.. If everything is always fine, what even is there to discuss?

OX1947 likes this.
  7. Slick2021

It's cool with me if you never respond to anything I post. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
    You make some broad statement about a team quitting on the coach and not playing hard, like you just spit some kind of facts. Whatever dude.

8. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

100% thats what he does. Doesn't matter what the topic is.

I have friends who have a habit of talking their opinions like they're facts. Society has this problem in general. Opinions aren't fact. They're opinions.

9. Slick2021

It would seem that all three us of share a similar trait judging from the posts made.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

but they don't play hard n look like they at various times during games

11. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Time to get someone unafraid to go ballistic on the little 3.

12. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

It’s not the coach.
    It’s the lack of effort on D.
    Third quarter showed it all.

CarolinaLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  13. Weezy

Vogel is a defensive coach, that’s his thing, it’s his entire coaching philosophy. If they aren’t playing with effort, doesn’t it mean they aren’t buying into what he’s selling, not buying into his system, whatever you want to call it? Like I said before, it doesn’t mean he’s a bad coach, it just is what it is. I don’t know the solution, I don’t think a better coach is available, I think Fiz is just as not creative, firing him won’t fix this, BUT, something has to give.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  14. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I’ll just say I’ve been harping on his line ups and rotations for awhile. I don’t think we should fire him but I do think he needs help on this staff.

Weezy likes this.
  15. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I'm not happy with how things are going for sure. But the jury is going to be out for a while on this one. We have to see the big three get some significant time together on the court to see what we've got. Also it would help to at least have Reaves back for another energy guy out there. I've given up on getting Nunn back any time soon.

Cookie likes this.
  16. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Coaching , the roster and the effort by the players on the court are all below average to average at best.

This is my take

17. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Would be fitting if Vogel ends his Laker coaching tenure in Indiana tomorrow. I don't expect our guys to show up on a 2nd night of a back to back with a holiday looming.

18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I don’t know which post I like least here Rock, your’s or Faigen’s. The FO f***** him with giving him a bunch of too small players who can’t play defense and getting rid of the last semblance of continuity with the guys who are gone and then double whammy with the injury bug back as vicious as last year with a third of his expected rotation players from this ill fitting bunch not available anyway …. and he’s the problem? What was Faigen even talking about standing out. Vogel’s trying everything he can to find combinations and schemes to shore up this crap defensive roster with no young large wings he can. And you think it would be “fitting” if he’s canned in Indiana if this “available” roster can’t muster a win on a back to back after the energy spent playing catch up the night before? Fitting because it’s Indiana? He’s the best coach we have had since Phil but yeah let’s dump him as the fall guy.

Cookie, Juronimo and CarolinaLakerFan like this.
  19. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

:This:
    Couldn’t agree more. Vogel is a d*mn good coach who’s hamstrung with the most ill fitting roster for a coach who hangs his hat on defense. Again, this is on Rob, Lebron and AD. They strong armed their way into this crappy roster and either need to fix it by the trade deadline or play better.

lakerjones, Cookie, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Our issues aren’t just defense. The offense isn’t utilizing the guys we have effectively.