Head Coach Frank Vogel Discussion: The Fall Guy

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 13, 2019.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Frank is probably in some trouble, though I’m not sure he should be. Yes, our offense is bad, but he’s a defensive coach who was handed a roster of vet min guys who can’t play defense. I can see him being fired, but the problem is, there isn’t anyone out there who is better to replace him.

2. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m going to reserve judgment on Vogel until he has a full, healthy roster to work with.

JSM, Cookie, FrontOfJersey22 and 2 others like this.
  3. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    This!

I really don't think Vogel can do better. It's not like he is dumb and can't see the flaws. He just can't fix it and probably nobody can.

Wolves come on 6 game losing steak. Outscore us by 28 on our home floor in one quarter. Enough said.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Didn’t see game; why would you start baze at pf other than you want to lose at home to Minnesota?

KB24 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  5. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Lebron, Ariza and THT out. Their starter is Vanderbilt. If you want AD at 5, it's either him or Melo. He wanted to keep Melo for that scoring spike from the bench. Didn't worked but understandable decision

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Vanderbilt isn’t a shooter, so I’d have played dj at c.

7. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

I feel like this is the story of Vogel’s tenure with us. We could have probably fired him last year too, but it’s always the question of who do we replace him with? There are literally no good coaches out there. Heck, most of the coaches currently employed suck.

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
  8. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Ok he's a defensive coach...the team is not playing well on defense either.

Last year they were phenomenal defensively even if we had guys missing, so what gives?

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

then why give him an extension?

10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

They (FO) completely reshuffled the deck on Vogel, took away key defensive players who have been here for years and replaced them mostly with one way offensive minded guys. Oh yeah and brought in a great player but not a great fit to run the offense. He’s got a lot on his plate right now trying to integrate 9 new players while a third of the roster has been out all season long so far including our best player for half our games. Not sure what folks are expecting but you might want to cut him just a little slack. This isn’t an easy hand to work with.

alam1108, ElginTheGreat, JSM and 4 others like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

tyronn lue lost every game with a lebron roster and no lebron. every single game.

i don't think there's a coach in the world that could have a great record in our current situation.

comments from various players seem to indicate that there's some motivation issues going on, but again, this isn't high school. you shouldn't need an nba head coach to get you properly focused on playing winning basketball.

i think everyone thought it would be easy, even when they were telling the press it wouldn't be. and what they were telling the press was actually accurate.

ElginTheGreat, Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Frank has his issues with rotations and play calls IMO. He also doesn't have 4 of his top 9 rotation players available. That can make the team look inconsistent. If all those threes we jacked up last night don't fall, you get what you got. Now...if we play like that with a full deck, he deserves to be fired. We won't, so he will be evaluated on his play-off performance.

I do have to say that this third quarter malaise, has been going on for awhile. With Lebron and AD, without either of them. It's three seasons of the same ole...I don't know exactly what the issue is on that one.

13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Vogel is a good coach. We have a roster of minimum players and ill-fitting stars with injuries up and down the roster. You can't draw blood from a stone.

alam1108, ElginTheGreat, JSM and 4 others like this.
  14. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

TRUTH.

Cookie likes this.
  15. FrontOfJersey22

I just don’t understand how people put so much blame on Vogel. When given players who actually try on defense, and still are young enough to play it, he can take teams very far. Saddle him with a hamster brained, turn over machine, PG who rarely plays D, and is supposed to lead the team with LeBron out, you put Vogel in an impossible situation.
    If you want to blame anyone in management, blame Rob. He allowed LeGM and AD to convince him that bringing in Westbrick was a good idea.

Cookie, Juronimo and CarolinaLakerFan like this.
  16. Slick2021

Blame Rob for what? Listening to a guy that has lead 3 separate teams to 10 Finals in 12 years? You seem to be on this crusade, to prove that Lebron James doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. What numbers can you provide to back that up? This guy has actually been to the Finals 9 straight times, when he was healthy going into the playoffs. He isn't even playing and you have already decided that he got it wrong? Man chill..this is November not May.

17. FrontOfJersey22

No Crusade.
    I just don’t think Westbrick is a good fit.
    Blaming Vogel is lazy and doesn’t even acknowledge the fact that he’s missing key rotation pieces.

18. Slick2021

How can you judge a fit if all the pieces aren't there? You give Vogel leeway for having missing pieces, but that doesn't apply to Westbrook?

19. FrontOfJersey22

Vogel is missing guys who play defense. Russ doesn’t care about defense. He was brought in to run the offense when LeBron is out.

20. Slick2021

Point out how Russ's defense is the culprit here. Don't give me some general stuff, point out these parts of the games where HIS defense was somehow the key factor.