Head Coach Frank Vogel Discussion: The Fall Guy

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 13, 2019.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Yeah Lue coached well before Frank ever got this job. He coached well without Kawhi or PG13 too. Shrug.. it is what it is. Frank took the offer Lue passed on, good for him he got a ring.

2. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

And Lue had Lebron as well. Well, Vogel also took a so-so Indiana team to the playoffs for 5 years and that includes 2 Eastern Conference finals, one to game 7, the other to game 6. He had Paul George and no other stars (Please, Roy Hibbert was no star). Lue had George and Kawhi and went to the Conference finals once.

Vogel had the carpet pulled out from under him with this team. Luckily Rob and Kurt & Co put together a defensive roster for the bubble squad and then just to prove that they didn't know what the hell they were doing in the first place and that it was mere luck, they disassembled that team when they could have kept every single player besides Rondo and put together a defensive nightmare for a defensive coach whose entire battle-plan is predicated on a team that plays defense. The shame is that Vogel will be the fall guy for what inevitably was the fault of the FO and I'm not going to blame Lebron even because the FO can tell Lebron "No, we are not doing that"

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

ya'll see lue's adjustments against the suns?! completely took paul, booker, ayton, and crowder out of the game and stomped them. we need that kind of strategy.

Helljumper likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

is there a spiderman meme but with MR GLASS nba stars?

anyway, you're wrong. and ty lue would have AD's bones in better shape via in-game adjustments. his knee would get partially sprained, and then just suddenly get stronger from some tinctures or something.

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I'm not going to knock your opinion about it if that's how you feel. It's all kinds of varying shades of gray on some things, instead of -cut and dried- black and white for me.
    I don't think Lebron has all this roster building power that folks think. He wanted Russ over Hield and I don't blame him one bit, I would do that again too. The Lebron the GM stuff gets a lot of chatter but I think it's a bit overblown. All superstar players should have some input on guys they want to play with IMO. It was all good when we got AD right? Now he's ruined Vogel's scheme with his meddling? SMH. Ultimately Vogel's job is to coach the roster he's was given, just like every other coach. If it doesn't work out you tend to get fired, that's how it works in the NBA. His last 6 out of 7 seasons, beside the Bubble, have been underwhelming, that's just what it is. Kudos to everyone involved for the bubble chip tho. Guys got hurt and we didn't or couldn't adjust. That happens to, but Frank bungled more than his share of winnable games with the roster he had IMO. Hopefully he'll get another gig, I'm honestly not so sure if it's a HC job right away or not. As a HC, I think he started out great, and then got lucky to catch a prime and dominant AD and Lebron in his first year here, but again the other 6 seasons were not exactly examples of great coaching. FWIW..Lue hasn't had a healthy Kawhi and PG13 yet ( Kawhi got hurt in the playoffs), that was Doc. I'll take Lebron, AD and then Rob over Frank in the pecking order of importance for winning that chip. Same thing moving forward, I don't think the Lakers can only win with Frank Vogel at all.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

do you think all superstar players negotiate trades that then get executed instead of the ones the people who get paid to do so negotiated?

anyway:

this is a repeated strawman. literally zero people have said this, and you keep dunking on it.

7. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I don't know, but if Lebron is really this super shadow GM that folks think he is, he has to be one of the most successful GM's in the history of the NBA.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Who can we hire that's better" " There isn't anyone better than Vogel available "
    " The next coach will be worse"

Same s***..worded differently

9. Alcindor

Wrong about what? All I did was provide some stats about those 3 players' wearability and lack of resilience.

10. Alcindor

I'm not necessarily saying Vogel is better than Lue. I just think everyone is throwing Vogel under the bus. Yes, it's his job to coach the roster he's given but he came into this team with a far different roster. Conversely, it's the FO's job to put together a team that can win with their coach. It's not unusual for a coach to like certain types of players, Phil Jackson liked his triangle guys, Popovich has his profile too. Vogel likes defensive guys and I don't blame him, it's what generally wins championships. Getting rid of solid defensive core players who aren't bad at offense either to get a bunch of 3 point shooters who constantly get cooked on the other end is a bad recipe for success.

Cookie and TIME like this.
  11. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

The Lakers team under Vogel looked messy, clunky and unwatchable. Very similar to how Luke Walton and Mike Brown led the talented squads. There were too many moving parts, talent and voices in the room and its just too big for these guys. Vogel had some success due to the calming veteran coach Lionel Hollins and Kidd, whom everyone respected.

If we had a different coach in 2022, (MDA or Terry Stots) I think the same issues persist but we would probably be in the playoffs even though we are not a title contender.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's not. there are better coaches than vogel. they are currently employed. the names suggested so far are pretty much objectively worse, and every coach we've hired post-phil has been objectively worse.

i was being sarcastic. you're right; because those are facts. my point is that players have periods where they're injured. almost all of them. pretending like you know definitively that a player will never exit their current state of health or lack thereof is the problem.

13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I don't think we'd be any better with MDA, especially with the age of most of our roster. His "run faster" solution won't work with Dwight, Melo, Ariza, Ellington, Baze, Bradley, or a dinged up Bron. Plus if we didn't like Vogel’s undersized lineups, MDA would've had Monk and AB center minutes.

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  14. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

A lot of our offensive problems was because Lebron dominated the heck out of the ball and it left the rest of the team taking shots out of their comfort zones and basically become catch and shoot guys. I believe MDA would've figured it out offensively to bring us some success in the regular season.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lebron as pf and backup c. AD would have to be traded for someone who could shoot threes. westbrook is starting center. we win 50 games and get completely jackhoused in the playoffs, round 1.

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I don't pay attention to what the media throws out this early. The man hasn't even fired yet. I don't remember his name being floated by the "experts " when Luke got axed. I'll just wait and see who we interviews for the job. Frankly...Williams, Lue and Vogel were pretty solid candidates. I'm not going to automatically assume that we can't come up with more of the same in our next coaching search. I'll wait and see, but I'm totally fine with moving on from Frank Vogel.

17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

All those guys besides James,were on 1 year deals, most won't be back. So it's difficult to project what the next coach will have available. The three young guys I keep mentioning, will be a part of the roster. I assume...picking up different players at those spots above can make the roster entirely different.

18. Alcindor

I'm not pretending anything. We've seen that. Stephen Currey was thought to be a bust early on in his career. Grant Hill put together a "serviceable" career in his 30's.

But I think when you get to the Kawhi point (which was my point if any), now I think you can look and say definitely, "based on these stats, we are not going to see this guy on the floor for 82, ever"

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Latest from Stein on the Kings coaching search (applies because we're linked to three of the same names)

Sac Town, please take MDA or Brown off the board. Or even better, hire MDA with Brown as his assistant head coach. We need bad options taken off our board because I don't trust us to make a good decision.

20. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, if Jeanie hires either of these fools, I’m going to lose it