Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

He was really experimenting in the last game. Hate the 4 guards lineup. I also don't like our team with AD and LeBron at the 5/4. It can work sometimes, there's many teams playing really small ball (Wiggins or Kuminga at the 5, Siakam and so on) but I don't want it to be our plan A.
    I don't have numbers but on the eye test we lose a lot in defense and rebounding.

Let's see. I'm curious to see the game against Portland, that one should tell us what's our plan A. Against the Warriors I'm pretty sure we will start AD at the 5 and the Clippers are so deep and big at the wings that we may have a special rotation against them. Then the Portland should be more normal as they have a "standard" lineup/roster

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    It's true though. Time has not been kind to Q. Made me wonder if he has/had an underlying condition that contributed to it. Either that, or ghost of Jerry Sloan had a role in it. Coaching today's privileged athletes may do that to you though.

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

Check out the big brains on Ham! Moving Russ where he belongs (if he's going to be a Laker)... the bench! Hopefully he keeps him there as long as we're forced to endure this arranged marriage.

abeer3 likes this.
  4. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

I think Ham sees what we see. The list of possible starters has shortened significantly. I don't like our bigs play so far. Didn't see last night. Doesn't appear I missed much? I like AD, LeBron, Wenyen, Lonnie and Austin. Nunn our first guard in for his scoring punch. He could easily start. I like the good attitude energy guys. Limited action Lonnie has surprised me. Maybe just preseason but I haven't liked Beverly particularly. I would give Matt and Max lots of minutes to acclimate them. We will need them later. Bryant/Jones kind of a coin toss. Heads I win tails you lose.

abeer3 likes this.
  5. sirronstuff

Plan B an option yet? I think his offseason excitement might be slightly waning

6. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

so for no good, Ham might be a better coach once Westbrook is out

7. sirronstuff

Hardly sounds like it can’t all be blamed on RW.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

beverley had a bad preseason all around, imo, and ham's in a tough spot with him. his track record says you have to play him, but he was outplayed by reaves, nunn, and lonnie, all of whom really play the same spot. hell, i might argue that christie looked to be about as useful as beverley did.

i actually feel bad for ham this year, as his situation isn't a lot different than vogel's in that his vets aside from lebron and AD are being unexpectedly outplayed by inexperienced guys. at least he has more job security, i guess. but it looks like we'll end up making some large, substantive in-season trades, which will require re-learning of the system, etc. rocky first year ahead.

9. sirronstuff

if he didn't play well enough to start, do what you said you would do and have him come in off the bench. If the bench is better than him, have him sit and get garbage minutes.

Money should never dictate playing time for experienced pros not playing up to snuff.

Toklat likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we talking beverley or russ? i think both are open for demotion because ham has job security. his dilemma is: what if that doesn't work? if he benches decorated and expensive vets for cheap young underperformers, does he lose the locker room?

and i know that russ and schroder (along with beverley) are the least-liked lakers, but not having the first two to start the season might be rough. they're the only real pgs on the roster, imo, and those are kind of important to have.

11. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

I think what really helps Ham this season is that the young guys are really good. The ones you mentioned are clearly better so it makes it easier. Reaves, Nunn and Walker are actually good enough to start with AD and Lebron and be a good line up. Admittedly smaller than I like but they all run and pass well. Good defenders. I have seen all three of them blocking out during pre-season. I have been impressed with Lonnie. Does put a lot on AD. With a lot of people not having high expectations I think Ham comes out of this smelling like a rose. Give Max and Matt minutes to develop then as long as we can sneak in the playoffs healthy we would be a team that could pull an upset or two. Wenyen can fill many roles. I'm hoping Jones or Bryant one will step up. Other than insurance for injury I'm not big on Beverly, Schroder and definitely not Russ. We may see some games early we get hammered but we will get some wins too and likely improve more than most teams. Also I agree we will make a substantive trade at some point. Kind of exciting as we can fly high or crash and burn...lol.

12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

LOL @ Ham. We're getting smoked no matter who plays in the starting 5, even if Bron and AD go for 65/25 combined.

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  14. sirronstuff

if we do, maybe it spurs some additional changes

I don't see a downside to getting wiped out

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Lol. Noooo. I think this will be a case KD the team getting better as the season goes along.

Doesn't mean a ring but competitive.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, it's going to be ugly the first 6-7 games for sure--don't use that to detonate the next three years. we held on this long, gotta ride it out. i think ham is in position to captain that. but again: rough seas.

17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Rookie coach will get blamed for the expected meltdown.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. sirronstuff

he can take it

leBronze can't

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he won't. vogel died so his sins can be forgiven, tbh. truth is that nobody can win with russ eating 47 million in cap.

alam1108, Juronimo, JSM and 2 others like this.
  20. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Starting Russ, Walker and Hobo (or even playing all 3 at the same time) is just r*******.