Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Luke never won anything here bro. Let alone get to a conference finals in his first year on the job. You guys are seriously arguing, against your own arguments. How can A coach succeed, if he doesn't know what he's doing? The same coach that gave most of that team, the most playoffs success, that they'd ever had. It doesn't make any sense.

Either the coach is extremely important, or he's really not.

2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Correlation does not equal causation. You are presuming Ham caused our run to the WCFs last year. I see it as we got there in spite of him.

3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh..Then you really don't consider the coach, to be that important Jones. You just don't like how Ham did, some of the guys that you like. IMO.

Funny thing..they b****ed and moaned about playing time, and then went out and laid an egg on the big stage. Maybe he knew something we didn't?

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Yes, Ham is a genius. That’s it.

:Noddingyes:

5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'm assuming you are responding to me since you quoted my post, but you referred to me as Jones?

Anyway, no I consider the coach a very important role on a successful team. But I also know a team can succeed to some extent in spite of the coach. Usually, that happens when a bad coach is coaching a top tier player or players. The high level of pure talent can offset bad coaching somewhat. I know you believe that, because you consider Vogel a bad coach, but his team was so talented that they won the championship. Not sure why you can't see that in this case with Ham.

No, I don't like the way Ham has handled Reaves, Dlo, Hayes and Max Christie over the course of the season. I also don't like that he gave too many unearned minutes to Reddish and Prince. But my issues with his coaching go way beyond minute distribution. His schemes are bad, his in game adjustments are bad, his time management in game is bad, his player connections are bad, his refusal to accept any blame for the results is pathetic.

6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

My bad, I did call you Jones. I was thinking of Laker Jones. Apologies

Every one is entitled to their opinions. Frank won a chip, I respect that, he also went 10-31 to close a season, and he totally lost his team. These are different scenarios IMO.

I don't see that level of quit, associated with Ham at all. Some guys grumbled, but were given every opportunity, to prove their gripes were legit, they failed IMO. NO He shouldn't come back to coach them, because some of them, shouldn't be coming back to play for us at all.

It's hard to see a guy, being all of those things that you listed, but somehow was still able to lead the team, to only an 11pt difference, in a 5 games series, against a great team.

A team that has a bunch of players that nobody else wants. This is coming from our fans too. I don't see the media, trumpeting our great talent level, outside of James and Davis either.

I just find that to be an absurd idea, no offense to you. Some of these cats, maybe just aren't as good, as I hoped they'd be. I don't blame Ham, for not overcoming that at all.
    We are going to see what Rob thinks, on both subjects pretty soon.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    TIME likes this.
  7. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

Let’s not over complicate things.

Darvin Ham literally does not know when to call timeouts. He can’t coach an NBA team.

Cookie, sirronstuff and Juronimo like this.
  8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Another weird take...
    Then every team we beat, must didn't understand, how to use their own timeouts then. Smh

It gets silly, what's next, he didn't properly coach them on boxing out? They didn't get enough shooting practice, that's why they blew so many open looks?

He didn't coach them up enough to know how to move their feet on defense?

9. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

Slick man you're entitled to your opinion, but if you had your way we'd have maxed Westbrick and would be building around him now.

when 99%+ of Lakers nation agree Ham sucks, it's probably because he sucks.

10. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Personally hope we avoid the 3 star plan. It doesn’t always work. It’s top-heavy and leaves limited money to fill out the roster. Already this year PHX is out, and the LAC looks next.

Our team’s issues are not solved by Trae Young or Mitchell, no matter how fun that’d be. On the other hand, sometimes you don’t need to fix your weakness but instead create a new weakness for others. Trey or Mitch with AD/Bron effectively does that. It’s not my preferred way but it seems to be the Laker way of late.

11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

What's funny?

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

That's false..I wasn't some great Russ fan, at all. I thought the guy got a raw deal around here. I also thought that his 47M contract had great value, as an expiring deal. It did,and we just pissed the opportunity to flip it into Kyrie. We flipped it into D'Angelo's choking a** instead.

Ham can get fired tomorrow, I don't really care, I'm not a big "coaching" over players guy. They are more easily replaced than good players. I just don't believe, that we have a lot of good players, outside of Lebron and AD. Austin, Jarred to a lesser degree, every else can go IMO.

13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

D'Angelo being redeemable. He's not built for a Championship team. Not as a key player. No..I don't believe that at all. He's mentally weak and immature IMO.

He's talented tho, and can still have a long career because he can shoot. He might figure it out 5 years from now, when he's making 8M per or something.

14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

The entire planet: "The Sky is above us."

Slick: "It's on the bottom."

Cookie, Weezy, 432J and 5 others like this.
  15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..See..if you had picked me up on that drink offer, when I was in Temecula, you'd get it.

You whiffed..like D'Angelo

OX1947 likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think this new story about how kyrie irving was on a silver platter because brooklyn wanted his expiring contract is one of the funniest ones. this simply didn't happen, but slick's willing it into history in every thread.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Buha update on The Athletic's NBA Show podcast last night: latest he's heard is the plan is to still move on from Ham at some point, likely by end of the week. Potentially as early as today.

Has started to hear some names of replacements but waiting for the Ham situation to be resolved before going into that.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3wzIf5FaNXfowsCkSdbqIq?si=C94HaoXqRiuMCIHG_CyQSA
    (Around 14 minute marker)

18. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    this nightmare will be over soon, hopefully

Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I know it's not fair to compare him to the best coach in the league but it's night and day out of the gate. Shuts the injury excuse down immediately.

20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I thought you said, that there was no way, to really know already? Reaves and Christie, were not too high of a price to pay IMO. Couldn't have been done at all, without that contract.

He said nothing about the owner just being spiteful.

Here's Shams article on it

https://theathletic.com/4158739/202...-lakers-suns-shams?source=user-shared-article