Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Lol..Lebron isn't going to kotow, to Handy or Rondo either. Are you serious?

Have you learned nothing about Lebron James man? He's his own coach, your job is to coach these other guys. That's not going to change, now? At the end of his career?

James wants PLAYERS..he's been telling anyone that listens, that since last season's Conference Finals.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not sure whom you're addressing, but yes, the whole point was that lebron is the coach, so why not just elevate handy?

if lebron wants players, he needs to sign for the vet min to free up 40 million dollars to chase free agents of his choosing.

another option is him shutting up and not throwing teammates under the bus left and right.

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

We're in a tough spot but what else is new. Lol.

Our track record with coaching hires just isn't good. There's little reason for hope here given the available guys, our search methods, and that we will really have to open the checkbooks for a new guy. No one is going to want to take this job without a certain amount of years guaranteed at a high price IMO.

Elevating Handy and giving him a good staff may be our only out but I feel like we're just going to be right back here when he inevitably experiences the growing pains that come with being the head guy.

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

sure lame, you the true def of a wannabe know it all, porter went off for 20 along with 3 other nuggs....should try joining spam crew, bunch of lame's thinking they know what theyre doing

Juronimo and DeeZee like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

The equipment is already being gassed up and positioned near the field for the next/latest “moving of the goal posts” with regard to that. :D

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

One of the options we've kicked the tires on before is off the board.

VladeD714, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  7. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Meh, not mad at that.

8. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

If the Clippers lose this series, and Lue doesn't take a sabbatical, keep an eye there.

Cookie, JSM and ElginTheGreat like this.
  9. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Coaches don't save you in the playoffs . Denver still will beat this Lakers roster 4-1 if Spo was a Laker .

Lebron is 39 and our offensive oriented role players can't score ..

10. ElginTheGreat

I think we’d definitely look at Lue and a guy like Atkinson again. Question for me is if we will pay them.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

while i agree with your assessment of why we're losing, i think a great coach mitigates some of that by finding ways to put the secondary players in positions to succeed. miami's support players aren't better than ours. we've now learned that twice, painfully. but they're put in positions to succeed.

ours are now watching lebron dribble for the bulk of many possessions and asked to be shot making machines. that's not how it works.

i think we would this time. i think atkinson would take our head coaching job, too, though his experience in bkn might make him a bit wary.

Cookie, Juronimo and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Lebron is going to play the way he likes to no matter who's coaching .. He even disregarded Anthony freaking Davis in Game 2 to keep playing his target ball BS .

As for the role players , if Rui doesn't blow 3 uncontested layups at the rim in Game 2 , we would have won too .

Austin and Rui had good playoffs games under Ham last season .

We're not just nowhere near good enough to beat Denver regardless of the coach .

13. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Hearing a rift between the bball vs. biz ops sides re: Ham as HC next season. Pelinka wants to bring in someone with years under their belt who can hide weaknesses and maximize strengths. Ideally someone w/ experience coaching aging superstars so that LeBron's health can be managed accordingly. Biz side (specifically Harris) more concerned about optics of a coaching carousel (esp. w/ '23 WCF + IST win), and wants to Ham to grow in the post LeBron era. Obviously you all know where the news leaks are coming from.

IMO a Denver sweep gives Pelinka more ammo to make changes. But the LeBron contract situation also adds a twist to the situation. I also think Harris is underweighting the future impact of the Clipper's expansion in LA. Lots going on here.

Will keep you posted as I hear more...

Cookie, KareemtheGreat33 and abeer3 like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Does Harris want to “start” the post LeBron season next year, because he sure as heck doesn’t want that clown back?

15. ElginTheGreat

And that’s a big part of my issue with the franchise. Basketball people should be driving our decisions not business folks.

16. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

As a fan I have a lot of thoughts. I think if optics are a concern, the Lakers quite literally have the "golden goose" with LeBron, as their ability to attract top talent has always been their edge. But throwing that away and transitioning to a messy rebuild plays right into the Clipper's hands.

In any case, my opinions matter very little. But I'm loving the analysis of the coaching issues in this thread. Super insightful. Here's hoping that we can strategically maneuver this offseason to come back on top asap!!!

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Honestly surprised that's not flipped, I would expect Rob to be concerned with optics because firing Ham and having to hire another coach is a big ding on his resumé. It'll be the last coach he's allowed to fire and hire, next time he'll go out the door with them. His meat shield is gone after Ham.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  18. ElginTheGreat

Every time a decision needs to be made with this team this disfunction comes out and I am beyond tired of it.

Juronimo likes this.
  19. Slick2021

Lol..Rob wants to hire a coach, that can hide the weaknesses of the roster, that he put together? Big offseason ahead for Rob coming up. Lebron wants another impact player, AD wants another big. If D'Angelo walks for nothing, he's the one that structured his contract this way, isn't he?

After overruling his scouting and picking JHS(allegedly) he better come up big this summer, or the spotlight is going to firmly be on him.

Bidding against himself in the AD trade, letting all the vets walk after the bubble, chosing Tucker over Caruso, whiffing on bringing in Kyrie, because he thought that two prospects, and two future draft picks, were to steep a price to pay. His resume has a few dings in it.

20. Slick2021

Bs..why should that man take a paycut?He isn't going to change it up now, for any coach. He's been his own coach ever since he went to Miami . That s*** worked out pretty well too.

If we didn't plan on going all out, in the time that he has left, we should have told him that. Rob keeps taking about sparing no expenses, picks,players whatever, in order to build a Championship roster, around Lebron and AD. Do it.