Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Lol..this is why I like Ham. I know what he wanted to say.

" You guys weren't whining, when you up by 20".

"Denver makes a run, and your sphincters got tight!"

" f*** that, hit your damn open looks, get some friggin rebounds, and stop losing your damn man on D!"

" Once again, I put you guys in the position to win the game, and you f***ing choked!" AGAIN!!!

"FOH"!!!!

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

good coach like spo don't say "I don't know what to do" and takes accountability when his team fails....den adjusted as per Malone, Ham on side line giving motivational speeches...when gm was tied by mpj, we didn't call a time out to setup a play (had 2 TO) instead lbj just free styled into an open look due to den defender falling down, none of that was by design, murry getting ad switch was by design tho even w/o having TO, den knew what they wanted to do

Juronimo likes this.
  3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Denver didn't do anything special at all. They run that Murray/Jokic P&R, down the stretch period, it doesn't matter who's guarding them. That's their bread and butter play.

You act like the coach, is directing every single move, out on the court, by his play calling. That's some nonsense, the HC gives them a set he wants to run, live action dictates what actually happens.

Lebron doesn't need a timeout,to know how to take advantage of an opening. He's the most playoffs tested player, in the League. Of All Time!!!

It starts with Lebron, he's the leader, he's been Hella shaky in the clutch, against Denver. The whole team seems to be following his lead..

lol..You seriously think, that Lebron was somehow flummoxed , by Gordon on AD? The guy who sees everything? Has seen everything? The action he chose to run, just didn't pan out, in the way that he envisioned it, ncluding his own miscues.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  4. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. This part.

5. ElginTheGreat

6. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

A lot of talk about the offense when we couldn't get a stop to save our life .

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the play we let Murray walk into an layup with absolutely ZERO resistance on a halfcourt set which cut our lead to 4 pts ( 93-89)

7. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Cranjis is smart. I like him, but he also picked up to win in 6 last year, and said something like, "Murray shoots less of percentage going to his left off of pick in roll, we should shade him that way," lol. Murray still averages 32 pts a game last year; it didn't matter.

Denver is going to sweep us or win in 5. Then Cranjis can go through all the tape during the early summer vacation we have and figure out why...ROFL.

abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

Sure. Cranjis isn't always right. No one is though.

We should not be getting swept by Denver though. Last year or this year IMO. I don't think the talent gap is that wide and we aren't getting blown out in any of these losses. So I do find what the tape says to be interesting particularly with Game 2 as we just shouldn't have lost.

Plus, I'm definitely not going to go through and rewatch all these games so its nice to have someone else who's insane enough to do it. lol

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i don't like the monday morning quarterbacking as a claim to genius. as vlade said, if you're really smart, you'd get it right ahead of time.

our offense definitely goes to s*** as the game wears on, and some of that is strategy. some of that is the players going rogue or choking, too, though.

i think AD's comment was about how the team has no real set of what i would call "dominant responses". basically, we don't have winning habits, familiarity with scheme and teammates, etc. and i think AD is right about this. some of that is definitely ham's fault, some if it is injuries, and some of it is on the leadership of lebron and AD, imo.

you want an identity? help forge one. all of you. i agree you don't have one, but that's on everyone, all the way up to the owner.

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

11. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Ok, so, if the talent gap isn't that big with respect to personnel, how far is it between coaches? There's probably a greater gap there, right? Typically, if that's the case, you're going to lose to the better coach particularly over a 7 game period.

12. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

That's fair, and if everybody would have forged one, we wouldn't be playing Denver in the first round.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

I think the coaching gap is considerable but not so much that we should be getting swept or lose to these guys 10 times in a row. We've been in a position to win several of these and some of our players are just choking. If we were to lose in 6 or 7 then it is what it is. That's honestly how this matchup should play out from what I'm seeing.

And this isn't really a defense of Ham. I'll say again, I have no problem getting rid of pretty much anyone in the organization at this point as I think we've got too many people learning on the job or just average at what they do. We should have the best and brightest and we just don't.

We've got a lot of average running things and it shows in the results IMO.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

especially jobs that aren't affected by the salary cap.

our FO should be bigger: rob needs a bona fide assistant gm with great league connections.

our coaches should be better: how can we continually be wrong on these?

our medical/training staff, player development other than handy, just on down the line.

but this is the ham thread, and he's done very little to positively distinguish himself, imo.

15. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I think last year before the series, you could have convinced me we would have won in 6. However, after watching that series, I think most people realized that Denver was the better team and the best team in the NBA. Fast forward to this season, where we take games off, have injuries, and Denver brings back mostly the same team (minus Brown, who was a big part of what they did last yaar, IMO & Green to a lesser extent), and I think it's a 5 game series at best if we have to play Denver at any time in the PO's.

Once Murray (who got it going in the 4th a bit) starts knocking down shots consistently, you'll see a greater gap, IMO. I mean, it took Davis going 13-14 from the field and Russell shooting lights out to get that lead to 20, and we still lost the game. That Davis shooting won't continue, and I don't know what to expect from Russell. As I've said before, we need to play 4 perfect games to win this team, and and the margin for error is much greater with Denver because they're that much better than us, IMO.

We'll see how tonight goes, but I believe this series is a wrap. Ham will be back, too.

16. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

[QUOTE="abeer3, post: 526464, member: 55"]especially jobs that aren't affected by the salary cap.

our FO should be bigger: rob needs a bona fide assistant gm with great league connections.

our coaches should be better: how can we continually be wrong on these?

our medical/training staff, player development other than handy, just on down the line.

but this is the ham thread, and he's done very little to positively distinguish himself, imo.[/QUOTE]

Rob should probably reporting to somebody, IMO.

Coaches? We can't hire any and let all the good ones get away that were assistants w/us.

Medical training staff is a disaster.

All of that needs to get better.

I have a funny story, that Ireland told on the radio who works for the Lakers. I'll fill you guys in later.

abeer3, JSM and ElginTheGreat like this.
  17. ElginTheGreat

Yeah. I think tonight will tell the story. We need to win or I think we are looking at another sweep. I think these guys will mail in game 4 if we can't win tonight.

I think there is a good chance Ham comes back as well.

abeer3 and VladeD714 like this.
  18. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I'll fill you guys in now; by the way, I love the discussion @abeer3 @ElginTheGreat

You guys always bring quality posts.

19. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Ireland told this story on ESPN a few weeks ago. He has been traveling with the team for 5 plus years. He gets on their chartered flights, sleeps out of the same hotels, gets on the busses, etc.

So, from what he said, the scheduling, the hotels, & just the logistics of it all were so bad for the Lakers. Nothing was ever on time or done correctly. This is the Lakers we're talking about, right? This was just about 4-5 years ago, too. He said everything was horrible and everything that could go wrong with traveling with the team always did.

So, what the Lakers did is they hired (can't remember her name) the Chief of Staff (I think that was her title) when she worked for the Obama administration. She took over all the traveling duties and gave everybody a role and a job. He says the Lakers created the position because everything was so bad with the team with respect to traveling.

He said once they hired her and she got the ball rolling things were night and day. Scheduling, flights, hotels everything was on time and everything rolls in perfect unison just like it should be for an NBA Franchise.

So, I pose this to you guys, if just traveling with the team was just that bad up until a few years ago, how bad are the other areas of our team that need a complete rehaul? Makes you wonder. LOL.

20. ElginTheGreat

I can completely see this being true. It's the problem with hiring your friends and family. What disappoints me is that they haven't applied that approach across the board and looked to bring in help in other areas from outside their circle.