Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Well .... Phil himself "seems" to think he has the knowledge from all his vast top level team bench experience (to go along with the skills training) to be a head coach .... as reportedly and allegedly .... he was somewhat miffed at not getting even any consideration for Frank's vacant HC position. So there's that at least. I would expect Handy knows himself pretty well.

:Kobe Shrug:

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Ham thought he was ready too. AND he convinced the Lakers too.

don’t get me wrong, if the Lakers do pick him, I hope he is more than ready, and will be wildly successful.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I can’t personally see Handy doing the same objectively stupid stuff Ham has done for 2 years now of long stretches not starting your best players or expecting maybe ;) that unused timeouts carry over to the next game. ;)

sirronstuff and JSM like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

as i was saying in another thread, it's now less about what ham's replacement does (i'm prepared for it to be...also bad) as much as it is about being just not ham.

now, you might ask me, abeer: you make fun of the "anyone but kuz" or "anyone but dlo" crowd, but you yourself are an "anyone but ham" guy?

yes. he lost the locker room, particularly most of the best players. this is different than not fulfilling a (silly) promise of becoming a third star.

your job as a coach is to organize and motivate folks. he's failed on the latter, and i think some of that is due to the former.

i'll be shocked if he's back.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Thought he coached a pretty good one last night, even used some of his timeouts when sensed a hint of momentum shifting.

Not going to give him credit for the good start, that was all Bron taking control. He was nearly up to double digit assists before Q1 was over.

Only real complaint is Dinwiddie's minutes. Could've used more meaningful minutes from him. I do not see the point of giving Vincent anything right now unless it's garbage time. The weight of the games are too much now for us to be getting him reps in hoping he won't be the worst offensive player on the roster. I think it has disrupted the groove our 3 guards have been in a tad, namely Dinwiddie. Sure it'd be nice to throw him at some of the elite guards we're going to face, but there's nothing he's doing out there that Spencer can't and Spencer isn't a complete zero offensively.

And then maybe if Ham handled our "stay ready" end of bench guys better this year, maybe they wouldn't be so s***ty and our starters wouldn't have to stay in or come back in during a blowout. Perhaps that removes AD from the floor and the back shove never happens.

abeer3, Juronimo, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Turned back into a pumpkin tonight. Awful decisions.

From seeing Gabe having a good 2nd Q and deciding to go completely away from Spencer in the second half. To hating timeouts. To sitting Bron and AR late in the 3rd. To refusing to set any offense up, instead we took the bait and matchup hunted Alvarado. Taking any flow and rhythm out of the game. In a night Bron and AD don't have it, that's shooting everyone else in the foot.

7. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, what was that in the 4th...? I am speechless.

lakerjones and Bryant like this.
  8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    It was a white assistant coach calling the plays late in the game:Laugh: might as well make Jent or whoever that was, the head coach

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

10. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

He was terrible tonight. What happened to good use of timeouts. Didnt have a good counter to Alvarado and Nance small ball lineups .
    Randomly just took Dinwiddie out of the rotation

11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

It must be easy as hell, to coach a team to the 3rd best record in the NBA since Feb 1. And win two must win games on the road. Shidd..half of this board should submit their resumes.

You either win the game or you don't. Flapping negative jazz, while still winning, kind of belittles the whole "coaching " argument IMO.

Anyway..I remain a It's the Jimmies and Joe's type myself. It does get rather amusing tho, to see folks fall all over themselves, looking for something, to gripe about with Ham. After every game..win or lose.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  12. Slick2021

Prepare to be shocked then.

13. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I literally just wrote in here that I thought he was terrific in the first game against the Pelicans.

But today was ugly Just awful today, offensive game plan was terrible, use of TOs was bad, Pelicans baited Lakers into these post up possessions which started at the 3 point line instead of on the block

JSM likes this.
  14. Slick2021

I'm not just talking specifically about your post Pioneer...this has been a continuous spewing of negative stuff, for a couple of months now.

Griping about losing is one thing, continuously griping about, how we should have won more, in the midst of the team playing months of good ball, is some BS IMO.

15. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

We started playing like the third best team in the league when we adjusted our starting lineup, something Pockets got dragged into doing kicking and screaming. When he does something smart, it’s only after he becomes the last person on Earth to figure it out.

NickthaQuick, JSM, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

He’s going to get out coached by Malone, again.
    It’s almost as if he completely forgets what’s worked in the most recent past.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

If we somehow beat Denver I'll give Ham some props. Until then he's the guy who underachieved for the first half of the season and cost us the fourth seed.

JSM and SamsonMiodek like this.
  18. Slick2021

Not exactly..we started playing like the 3rd best team in the league, after Lebron came back from his mid-season vacation, and broke out of one his worst shooting stretches in years.

It's not a Coincidence, that our losing streak, after the Tournament Championship game, coincided with Lebron's slump.

However Ham not starting Rui, gets all the pub. Lebron James is still the straw that stirs the drink around here IMO.

19. Slick2021

So Malone outcoached Ham, by forcing D'Angelo to choke?

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Ham is a Turkey

does this make him spam?