Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

LOL you naive naive man...

That position is going to Pimple Jr,

Kenzo likes this.
  2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Stotts has never won anything, what does he supposedly bring to the table? The offense looks fine to me.

3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Stotts feels snubbed by the Lakers choosing mediocrity as usual

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

He has strong relationships with his stars, understands NBA offense, coached over 1000 games, has been around the game over 26 years and is well regarded by former players and the coaching community. Having that perspective whispered in the ear of an inexperienced Ham who's most glaring weakness is in game adjustments would be quite beneficial. When you hire a rookie coach, you put experience around them on the bench. It's coach hiring 101. We dropped that ball with Luke and instead hired his beach volleyball buddies and once again f***ed up on Ham's staff. Being the a** backwards organization that we are, the only time we had a fully fleshed out bench was when we had Vogel.

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

That rookie coach, with a rookie staff, besides Handy, made it to the Conference Finals, in his 1st season on the bench. Stotts made it to 1 Conference Final, in his 13 seasons as a HC.

Ham has been coaching in the NBA, for over 12 seasons, that man is not inexperienced.

Folks don't like some decisions that he makes, so what? That doesn't mean that he needs someone, to "whisper " in his ear about anything. He's making the calls that he wants, that's his prerogative as the HC. We can all judge the results after the campaign is over.

6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

So far not very good this season. Barely over .500 with relatively very good health from Lebron and AD, currently in 9th place in the west. That’s a shame in my opinion. Can he turn it around like last year? Maybe so and if he does I’ll think higher of him. But thus far this season he’s been a real disappointment.

Wino likes this.
  7. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

This isn't the same team as last season Jones. Having a PG like Dennis impacted that team too. Why shouldn't we make a run? We were 6 games under 500 and in 14th place this time last season. The team has won 8 out of the last 11 games. I don't get this obsession with what could have been, we are where we are now. We have multiple games, against teams ahead of us in the standings left, and some weak Eastern Conference teams still to play.

If this current team is something, that you would like to see kept together, I'm confused as to why you don't expect them to make a run.

8. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Complete and utter!! He needs to read this page!!! Get it together Ham!!! You can do it, quit tripping over your own feet!!

lakerjones likes this.
  9. lakerjones

The difference so far is that the other teams in the West are better than they were during our surprise run after the deadline last year. They are winning at high rate too. So we are stuck in 9th place and not gaining ground. I’m disappointed for what should be obvious reasons. If Ham had started Rui at the beginning of the season along with Dlo and Reaves we would have won at least 5 more games than sticking with Prince for 45 games. 5 more wins puts us at 5th place and takes us out of the playin mess. We would not have so much of an uphill battle. Ham misused what he had, and wrecked the continuity the FO created by resigning Reaves, Dlo, Rui and Vando. He futzed too much with awful lineups and lost the locker room. Can he get it back now that he’s finally figured out the lineups? Maybe. Will we be able to win enough to leapfrog out of the playin (or even make the playin)? I hope so but time is running out.

10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

You don't know that Jones, Rui has been historically up and down, during the regular season for his career. It's no guarantee that we would have won, any more games than we did. Austin looked like he had dead legs to start off this campaign, it's funny how his game elevated once he went to the bench.
    Vanderbilt was hurt, he couldn't play period, and it took him awhile to get back to himself after he came back. We never got anything from Dennis replacement either. You are ignoring all these things for some reason.

And I will say this again, D'Angelo was out there playing, like he didn't give a single F, that's why he got benched, and he deserved it, it definitely seemed to get his attention. Maybe he should have been benched earlier.

That man never lost the locker room at all, players gripe, so what, they weren't performing up to expectations either IMO. Vogel finished his last season 11-30...that's an example of a coach that lost the locker room.

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Man you pick the oddest hills to die on.

What he did in the past doesn't matter. You can only judge him on what he's currently doing. Right? That's the logic you applied to Vogel. So the same has to apply to any success the team had under Ham last year. Or are absurd takes only valid when they're convenient to whatever nonsense you're standing on at the time?

There's a big difference in the passenger seat and the drivers seat. Shaw and Cleamons for example were really good assistants, but awful HCs. You see the same thing in the NFL, they'll be a great OC/DC but can't make the transition whether they've been in that role 1 year or 20 years.

THAT doesn't mean he's a good coach, that he knows what he's doing or couldn't benefit from another set of eyes and a more experienced member of the brain trust. The man got called out by every player from last year's roster + your main squeeze C-Wood. Every stat and all lineup data confirm the eye test of the mistakes he's bad thus far this season. But fake news, right?

[​IMG]

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Moving backwards..how do you lose the locker room winning 8 out of 11 games?

We didn't win no damn championship..the players don't have the luxury, of resting on their laurels either. They aren’t Lebron or AD. Perhaps acting like they accomplished this great feat, and deserved to be coddled, was part of the issue.

Vogel went 10-31 in the 2nd half of the season, that's why he got fired. He deserved it too, if Ham does something similar, he should get fired.

I'll judge the final reults, when it's over, right now, it ludicrous to be yapping about the HC, when the team is on one of its best streaks, of good ball being played in years.

It's a b******* narrative, and it's totally out of whack with what's presently going on.

13. lakerjones

The team is on a good winning streak since Ham changed the lineup to one that has familiarity and continuity with the one from last year post deadline. That makes a lot of sense to me as it is the same players (minus Vando of course due to injury) that won 65% of their games last year.

But why did it take Ham so long (almost 50 games) to realize that would be a helpful thing? It shouldn’t have.

Do I know for a fact that we would have won at least five more games? No we can never know for certain but I strongly believe it based on last year’s lineup with these players and Prince’s lack of production for 30 plus minutes a game versus Rui’s. I’ve been over it plenty but 9.5 points a game at 43% overall shooting is where Prince ended up at 30 plus minutes a game. That’s simply not very good and he does not add much rebounding, assists steals or great D to that. Rui is averaging only 24 minutes a game now on the year with 12 points in that time and shooting 50% overall and 40% from three. In the last 10 games most of which he’s started, he’s at 15 points a game in 28 minutes a game and a whopping 62% shooting overall and 47.2% from three. He’s been killing it as a starter and I can only go with what I see - he’s produced a hell of a lot better than Prince and should have been taking a lot of his playing time, especially alongside the starters who he has good chemistry with.

It has been widely and publicly reported that Ham did in fact lose the locker room trust with all of his awful rotation decisions. That’s not a BS narrative. Shams and Jovan Buha both reported it. The fact is there is less dischord now because he straightened out the lineups inserting Rui. But you can tell that Dlo is still a bit upset with him. Reaves also seems unhappy with him. Lebron and AD have also thrown out little digs at him about the rotations. Again, now it’s water under the bridge but Ham has bungled a lot of this season. Maybe he will redeem himself. We shall see. Bottom line, though, it should never have come to this, where we have to fight extremely hard down the stretch of the season just to make the playin let alone the playoffs.

14. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Ham can’t win 50 games with AD and LeBron, that would be automatic for any other mediocre coach but everyone was so happy when Ham was hired. It was a feel good story, the Lakers what a classy organization for hiring a life long assistant. There was a reason no one was hiring him, he was a dumb oaf.:Laugh:

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

If we don't make the playoffs, Ham should get fired, and some of these players, need to go too..period. If Lebron and AD really wanted Ham fired, he wouldn't be here. So I don't really care, about Austin, D'Angelo or Rui's feelings. We didn't win a Championship last season, they aren't entitled to play poorly, and think that they should still start, and play 30 minutes plus anyway.

I say that with Austin, Rui and Jarred, being my 3 favorite players on the team. Russell just choked, might have cost us a chip last season too IMO. He should be the last person, running around in his feelings IMO. Man up and hoop, in the playoffs dude, then you can talk that talk, all you want.

Rui is avg the most minutes played since his 2nd year in the league, when he was a full-time starter
    Austin is avg the most minutes this season, of his young career.
    D'Angelo has avg more minutes this season, than he did last season.
    Prince has played a whole 2 minutes more than D'Angelo, and he's been more available than Rui. So pinning every thing on Prince, is unfair IMO.

I'm just not feeling all this pity, for their reputed discomfort. The leadership from Lebron and AD hasn't been all that consistent this season either. It seemed pretty clear that Lebron, wanted D'Angelo outta here to me, and if that included Rui so be it. That has an effect on team chemistry too. He's a GOAT

All of that, and we are still only 3 games out of 5th place today. We'll see what's what, after these next 12 games. 9 of them will be on national TV. 10 of them will be against playoffs/or title contenders.

The season is 82 games long, I'd rather be playing well down the stretch, than quibbling over what should, or shouldn't have happened earlier. I'm not expecting to be in the playin game at all. We shall see.

16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think when I looked at the list of available coaches that you hoped could lead stars and coach them to the promised land, you had a list of so-so retreads and potential hot prospects that had been part of championship programs. Ham was on a staff that won a chip in Milwaukee.

Seeing the options available, it wasn't an illogical selection. It was bound to have some growing pains. Hope he figures it out, but I admit I don't like a lot of what I have seen so far minus the WCF run. He seems limited in his ability to adjust a game plan.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    It was between him and veteran Stotts, multiple 50 game winner, they chose the inexperienced d****** to coach LeBron in his last few years, Logical it was not.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Stotts went to one Conference Finals in 13 years as a HC. Ham did it in his 1st season, I'm sticking with Ham.

19. sirronstuff

Yeah, what Slick Said. If you want solid and playoffs only, he's your guy. But he's never proven that he's THE guy to lead stars to the Title. Fair or not, I think I understand the logic in not going that route. This is riskier for sure, but they saw something they felt they could work with. We'll see.

20. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    But you won’t give Vogel credit though, you know the one who actually won a ring

Cookie and JSM like this.
  21. sirronstuff

That was an odd situation, but he lost the locker room, and it was assumed he was the problem more than Westbrook. In hindsight, that was incorrect. But coaches have always been more expendable than star players.