Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

The Rambii will lead us to the promised land.

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Ham was not hired as head coach for 15 years, there is a reason which he is showing now. But the Front Office ignored the signs and virtue signaled that they make dreams come true lol.

Stotts had several 50 win seasons which I doubt Ham would be able to do in his what would be short lived career.

3. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I think we're all missing something here. Chris Jent is the lead assistant on the current coaching staff, not Handy. Jent has been an assistant coach for a while and was briefly the interim head coach of the Magic in 2004-2005. Jent was an assistant for the Cavs from 2006 to 2011 while LeBron was there and apparently was LeBron's personal shooting coach.

IF Ham is fired midseason, I think it might be Jent, and not Handy, that gets the bump up. I could see the FO wanting Handy because he predates Ham and his staff, but I could see LeBron wanting Jent because of that last connection.

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

why cant we hire coaches like Bos? Even after firing Udoka, Mazula who was already on the staff didnt miss a beat as the interim initially

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Which shows that it's more about the players Boston has, over who is coaching them.

6. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

We can only hope lol

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Eh, I don't agree with that on Ham. There's plenty of minority coaches in the league so there's no need to try and make a PR move. From a women owner to a very diverse mix of coaches and power players, representation is one area the team doesn't really have an issue with. At least from the outside looking in.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Interesting. What does the real Shams think?

:Laugh:

9. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I, for one, am more than ready for the Phil Handy era to commence.

PurpleAndGold88 likes this.
  10. PurpleAndGold88

LTLakerFan, abeer3, JSM and 1 other person like this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Jent is more of the same and from that same tree. Hypothetically if they moved on from Ham and I don't think they will unless we go 0-15 or something wild, I think they'd want to move on from that coaching tree. Like you said, Handy pre-dates that regime and has really good relationships with Bron, AD, Austin, Rui and Vando. Jent has who?...Prince and Cam?

ElginTheGreat, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  12. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

An argument for Jent could be that would don't necessarily need a sea change here. A substantially similar roster to this one finished last regular season strong and made it to the WCF. The biggest problem we have with Ham is these weird a** lineups he's been throwing out there, so just don't do that. You keep continuity with scheme, structure, etc. and just slot everyone correctly. I think this would be a decent argument if the FO thought Ham had just gotten carried away experimenting.

The counterargument to my own argument (lol) is that lineups/rotations aren't the only issue here, which I think is true. The problem is that Handy may just not be HC material. He's been a player development guy for a long time and I've never heard any whispers of him having a HC opportunity somewhere. When Vogel left, Handy was already on staff and was never a candidate for the job. I think we need someone with more X's and O's experience if this team still wants to do something this year. If our expectations were low, sure let Handy coach out the season. No one would expect anything from him, and best case you find a diamond in the rough. This is basically what's happened with Antonio Pierce and the Raiders. But if we're trying to salvage this season and make a playoff push, I'm just not sure you can give the job to the player development guy. I think Jent would be the safer option, and there's probably an outside hire in the offseason barring a really impressive run.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. PurpleAndGold88

C bag fans absolutely hate Mazula! They call him a choker . After every loss they want him fired

abeer3 likes this.
  14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Big month for Ham.

He was on a lot of pods and other interviews today. As I see the summaries or get to listening to them, I'll share anything interesting.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Fortunately for them, they only have 7 losses and are playing almost .800 ball. They have nothing to complain about.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'd looked at the schedule and saw this stretch as the time to go on a tear. instead, we came out and got whipped by miami's b-team at home, completed with lebron not talking to the press after the game.

ElginTheGreat and JSM like this.
  17. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

He stays another 4-5 weeks, season is over. We bring in someone new, there's a slim chance of turning things around. Either way, im afraid we're screwed (all while AD is healthy and killing it, same with Bron... except that last game or two).
    :(

4dm68 and abeer3 like this.
  18. PurpleAndGold88

They don’t see him carrying them to a title, they know he will screw up somewhere come playoffs.

I spy over there a lot lol

abeer3 likes this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yes, all of this. We don’t have the most amazing players in the league, but almost every single one of them is being used incorrectly. Prince is a bench guy, he’s not a starting 30+ minute per game guy. We don’t have a backup C, Ham plays Hayes sparingly, and if he plays Wood it’s WITH AD a lot of the time. I know we have had injuries, but not the point that the starting lineup gets shuffled like this, guys just suddenly don’t play for weeks at a time, Ham has no clue what he’s doing, he’s throwing s*** at the wall at this point. You would expect ONE of these guys to be over performing just by chance, but almost all of them are underperforming or being played on a role they never have before.

TIME, lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.