Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wow it sure didn’t seem that that’s what was being said here. He was getting bagged on for being no better than Frank with his rotations and results with the crappy personnel we had available at the time?

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I thought Fiz sucked when he sat in for Vogel. Not sure we even won a game. I’m fine with getting rid of him and Penberthy. Great news on keeping Handy. I don’t think the Sheed signing is a done deal but I don’t mind at all if he joins.

Edit he went 1 and 5, lol. So he won one game. Vogel said he did a terrific job too. Very terrific.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Again, who do I believe? Lakers Ball or Cranjis?

Our record wasn't very good in December but the process was better and he opened up our offense, IIRC.

But the rest of you guys want Rasheed who has a questionable resume?

Lol. Yeah, glad Fiz is gone, though.

4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

As I said, Fizdale didn’t impress me at all. What’s to like about going 1 and five? I am glad he’s gone. And no I don’t mind Sheed at all especially if he’s going to toughen up AD.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

There’s this worry in me that the way Ham talks (toughness, keep everyone accountable, defense, sacrifice)…. He reminds me of Byron Scott as a coach.

It worries me if that’s the comparison and I hope he has higher upside

abeer3 likes this.
  6. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Byron Scott was kind of out of touch though. I don't get that from Ham.

7. LTLakerFan

Yeah this is going to be interesting if Brick is here until the trade deadline. That accountability on defense is not some new concept here that Vogel didn’t preach as well. The first season with health good for LBJ and AD and them working and setting the example was great. As their availability and injury issues manifested over these past two seasons their leadership in that area of course diminished. But Russ and accountability in the same sentence was an oxymoron on defense all season. When Vogel and the staff tried it with him in those very same film sessions that Ham will have to do as well with him, because it had to be so glaringly obvious to the whole team how badly he was holding up his end on defense in general and off ball in particular …. he got all butt hurt and was crying to his brother that he was being “singled out” in the film sessions. DUH!! Prepare to be singled out again Russ unless you’ve suddenly gotten smarter and more self aware after all these years.

Agree the ONLY marginal hope is that Ham is a miracle worker with the psychology of convincing Russ how important he now is and revered for using his still exceptional athleticism as the on ball defender who’s counted on to take on the best guard on the opposing team each night.

8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

new lakers assistant?

9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It didn't look like anybody was paying much attention to Frank for most of this season, except the young guys LT. Cats were on their cell phones during games. Maybe Kurt dressing him down in front of the players killed all of his credibility, but there haven't been any narratives at all, about Westbrook leading some kind of insurrection on the team from any source. I know that Frank was your guy and all, but he had more issues going on than Russell Westbrook.

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I thought he was saying the messenger was going to be a frying pan to the head

:Laugh:

If you hadn't pointed that out, I wouldn't have even seen it.

Punk-101 and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Very happy with the house cleaning today. 2 good days in Lakers ball. Tomorrow we announce a trade for Russ?

ElginTheGreat, JSM and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Darvin doesn't even need to have conversations about the bro code, and that's why Fisher was coaching women (Allegedly). He's not coming.

It's pretty normal to clear out all assistant coaches, so the only news is really Handy being retained. Nobody else should have expected to change. I think it's odd to even bring it up, but I suppose they were all under contract that aligned with Vogel's.

ElginTheGreat and Slick2021 like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Agree Kurt had to have been detrimental to the respect he was getting from certainly not the young guys, probably rather the old retreads planted on the bench, exacerbated by the weak vote of confidence with the only 1 year extension. Barely a cut above lame duck status. Never said a word about Russ leading some insurrection. I’d call him a cancer last season though with no problem at all doing it.

Cookie and Toklat like this.
  14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

15. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

If you’re going to ask Russ to defend better, it’s going to be as an on ball defender where he can use his athleticism and not as an off ball helper where his IQ and instincts are quite low.

16. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Just say NO.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Toklat like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, it's the only hope. tbh, marcus smart just won dpoy without being a particularly heady player on that end, imo. more like mwp--just a bulldog who can lock in on a single guy.

i don't agree with your assertion (from the other thread) that we need to also hand him the ball on offense. yes, that is definitely what he does best, but it works against our interests, imo. houston figured out ways to get him working without him having to have the ball all the time on offense. we just need to make sure the guys who make that offensive scheme work can also defend, which is super tricky with our salary structure.

svtzr likes this.
  18. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I’m actually suggesting we employ a lot of Houston’s tricks. They had a split of Harden vs Russ on ball of probably 65/35 when they shared the ball. That’s all I’m suggesting. I’m also suggesting we split Lebron and Russ’s minutes where possible.

They’re similar players and we should always have one of them on the floor running the show. If Russ gets 18 minutes without Lebron and another 15 minutes with him where he is on ball for 5-7 of those minutes. It’s basically 24 minutes of Russ running our offence. That’s plenty. Lebron plays 30 mins and runs the offence for 24 mins.

Which of them complain with that outcome?

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Rolling up his sleeves

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

What’s the issue with Rasheed? Honest question as I haven’t kept up with him at all. I would think he’d have a relatively smaller role in the staff if he’s brought in.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.