Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Just got around to listening to his interview on his Lakeshow podcast with Bres, Clifton, and Geeter that I posted above. Recommend checking that one out.

-Ham's off-season targets in the draft and free agency: shooting, quickness, athleticism, as many 3&D as possible. G-Leaguers (he comes from there so wants to look into that market).

- cool story about Kobe getting a Patron at the hotel bar with him during the Pistons series.

- went into detail about him getting shot as a 14 year old.

- discussed his vision for Russ and the convo they've had. He is really anchoring our perimeter defense on Russ. This could be pumping up that trade value, cause Russ isn't that guy, but if not I'm terrified of how wrong that will go and how quickly it will go south. Russ is focusing on D this off season and is committed to Ham's marching orders... today. It actually happening night in and night out... we'll see. If we start the season with Russ on the roster: Who do you all think will blink first? Will Ham demand that we trade Russ or will Russ demand to be traded?

alam1108, Cookie, TIME and 2 others like this.
  2. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Vision for Russ should be him not being on the team opening night. Say the right things in front of the camera all you want, that malcontent is a problem and no coach in NBA history can coach that bum. Until that's done, Lakers will fail and fail royally. Why? Because when the going gets tough, Westbrook has zero accountability.

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I get the feeling Ham has been empowered a bit by the front office. I don't get the sense that he is a pushover, especially given some of the things he has experienced. So I think if Russ isn't working he will find himself on the bench.

That said, I expect us to trade Russ as soon as a solid deal emerges.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  4. KobeKing4208

KobeKing4208 - Rookie -

Obviously, I like the Ham hire, as he is exactly what this team needs as far as accountability and lighting a fire under players instead of the obvious laid back approach of Vogel, but I still think he is biting off more than he can chew when it comes to Westbrook.

The bottom line is it didn't take a genius to realize after winning the championship in 2020 what a team with an aging LBJ and AD need to thrive and be successful...

Spacing, shooting and defense. It is no different now, and the insane trade for Westbrook; which in return we gave up almost all (including not re-signing AC) of the players we had that gave us those 3 things FOR A PLAYER who doesn't excel- no scratch that- STRUGGLES in those three areas is why we are where we are right now.

So they found a coach who is willing to (at least publicly) talk up Westbrook while completely ignoring the obvious that he is probably the worse player (certainly the worse based on his cap hit) you could add to this offense and make it thrive like I mentioned above.

I am more than simply skeptical that Ham will be able to get him to "sacrifice" himself and change the way he plays, become even a remotely good off-ball guard and defender- even enough that would offset what he is absolutely horrendous at (shooting).

alam1108, Cookie, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Agreed. With this upside his head. :rofl:

[​IMG]

Punk-101 and abeer3 like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm wondering if ham's plan isn't to try to limit russ's off-ball defense by simply having him on-ball as much as humanly possible? i imagine there are some ways to scheme that in a bit (matching up russ with top creator on other team, not switching his screens, etc.). give russ a bunch of props for taking the other team's top perimeter dog night and night out, when it's partly a way to hide his worst defensive tendencies.

i am encouraged by his hints about limiting lebron's minutes. that's something vogel never seemed really committed to doing. he talked about it, but when anything went south, the security blanket was in. and vogel's obviously not alone there, but lebron's old. he simply can't play 36mpg.

he and russ should each play 28-30mpg at full throttle, with only about half of those minutes overlapping.

7. LTLakerFan

Because ... he's Kenzo

:Laugh:

[​IMG]

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Think it helps that Ham was given Bron's ringing endorsement, that Ham is sitting on a 4 year deal, and has more power than Vogel was ever given. There's no shadow coaching by the front office (yet.... and hopefully not ever again).

I think Ham can sell it to him as well based off the Giannis model that he helped coach. There's plenty of games he only plays in the high 20s in MPG but still is a world destroyer and putting up insane numbers. He can possibly show Bron that he doesn't have to play 40+ to do what he's wanting to do. Instead at a higher level for a truncated 29 MPG.

9. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student

Hopefully this means Phil Handy is staying?

alam1108, Cookie, Weezy and 4 others like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Glad we got rid of Bron's guy in Fiz, he gave us nothing. Awful run as a fill in head coach. And AD's hire in Penberthy. No shooting coach should be retained after AD's % last year. Now we get some of Ham's guys to come in and do it better, hopefully.

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

boom goes the dynamite. curious to see who the top assistant will be.

Cookie, sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

13. LTLakerFan

Those 2 guys together, Ham and Handy, seems like a hell of a great foundation for any coaching staff.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Which is why I said I thought we'd see end of the bench guys like Sheed get leaked first

When Ham mentioned young assistants, I thought Lee (obvious connection) or maybe Cassell.

Wouldn't mind: Lee, Handy, Clifford, Sheed

alam1108, Cookie, lakerjones and 3 others like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lee's been the guy i've wanted the whole time; thought he maybe should have gotten more consideration as a head coach possibility?

cassell was someone i said fit the profile of what could potentially work here, too.

ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Handy confirmed!

17. LTLakerFan

18. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

I think the front office got the feeling from Ham he was not going to be pushed around by the players so they jumped on him. They won't say it but imo they are tired of being placemats and doormats. If Ham holds players accountable that alone does wonders for us. It would be hard to believe anyone would want Russ here next year including Russ, but without giving away future assets who is going to take him? I'm a firm believer in not getting rid of anymore assets. Barring a miracle trade he will be here to start the season. He continues with the big baby routine send him home right away. Message sent. We will be much better this season and Ham will put an offensive and defensive system in place. It is nice to have a coach with security and authority. Frank never had both and rarely either. Handy staying would be a great start to a staff.

Cookie, sirronstuff, TIME and 4 others like this.
  19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i like ham already

fizdale was worthless and needed to be let go. penberthy clearly wasn't doing a good job either with the way this team has shot the ball the last few seasons. and i had no idea john lucas iii was even on the staff. keeping handy on is awesome

now go out and get charles lee

Cookie, JSM, lakerjones and 3 others like this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Idk the scope of what Fiz contributed, but I can tell you the offense opened up according to Cranjis when Frank was out with COVID in December and Fiz was filling in.

I wouldn't say he was useless; but you know we'll label what we want after people depart and remember what we want I guess.

Anyway, looks like he's keeping Handy and Quin so far. Don't like the Rasheed hire. We'll see how the rest of the process works itself out.