Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think saying they are starting out as starters isn't that big of a deal. Their job to lose, but they are the incumbents, and should have an advantage knowing the system.

Toklat likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Another way of looking at it I guess. Just seemed unnecessary before even first day of camp to me. Maybe to get him to sign for 18M a promise of that was made? Anyway I think it’s the right decision and am rooting hard for him.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think i'm still a bit angry/befuddled by his decision to start small against denver.

Pioneer10, alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Still a d******. Gonna stain the coming season as well. Fire Bacon Pimple Goblin.

5. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

I don't mind Ham naming starters if that is what he wants to do. What I think is just plain bad coaching is talking all this time about competition and earning what you get and all his accountability stuff and defense first crap from last year and then doing a 180. They need to keep the microphone out of his hands. I don't think a coach helps himself by continually showing he is full of hot air, and you can't believe anything he says. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he isn't a rookie anymore and right off the bat shows he didn't learn from last year's mistakes or even recognize them as mistakes. I'm pretty confident that on media day the players will come out and say the appropriate things but I'm also confident there are a few that didn't like hearing they are all playing for one starting spot and back up rolls. It isn't going to derail our season but another Hambone moment as far as I'm concerned.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Eh I like Ham as a coach in general, and didn’t mind him naming 4 of the 5 starters.

Players aren’t stupid. They know certain players have either earned the starting nod, or it’s been agreed to in contract negotiations. Either way, if there’s one thing Ham excels at it’s getting player buy in. Nobody is going to pout and not try just because they’re not starting.

8. Toklat

Exactly, players aren't stupid. So what happens when they go through camp and it is clear one of the designated starters has not earned his spot? Which could easily happen with this roster. They may not pout and not try but it will effect chemistry. Few things impact chemistry more. Plus the issue isn't naming starters, it's talking competition, earning playing time, and defense first, which is what Ham has preached since he got here, and then naming starters before anyone has the chance to show what they can do. It is just another example of talking out both sides of his mouth. Other wise he does pretty well. But that is a glaring issue.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh..teams that get to the Conference Finals, and bring back all the starters from that team, don't turn around and declare that the starting positions are up for grabs, before training camp starts in the following season. That's really kind of ridiculous, WHO do you know has done that? Name those teams.Seriously..it's pretty much unheard of.

Barnstable likes this.
  10. Barnstable

What @Slick2021 said.

These starters for the most part got us to the conference finals. I don’t think they should have to prove themselves again. They get the benefit of the doubt, regarding chemistry and complementary skill sets.

But Ham named 4 of the starters. He didn’t say no matter what these are the starters for the whole season. Of course if someone earns the starting position, they will start, minus the normal NBA politics of experience before youth, etc.

And again, of all the complaints about Ham’s coaching, getting player buy in is probably his biggest strength. They all stay ready to play and credit Ham for keeping their minds focused and ready when their number is called.

This whole topic is a non issue to me.

Wino and Juronimo like this.
  11. Toklat

Players have to prove themselves every year. Otherwise you end up with Westbrook situations. The past is the past. Slick always brings a good game. The point you are missing is I'm not dissing Ham as a coach or even saying he shouldn't name the starters. I'm saying don't say one thing and do another. That is pretty simple.

ZenMaster likes this.
  12. Barnstable

That seems like nitpicking to me, about something that doesn’t really matter.

He said he’s not going to name the starters, and then he changed his mind and went ahead and did it in the same press conference. So what? That doesn’t matter at all IMO.

And I disagree that starters have to earn their place AT THE START of the season. Proven chemistry and continuity is just as important, unless someone balls out and makes starting them undeniable. But again, I think Ham will make the switch if that happens.

As long as players play hard for him why is this a problem?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    Juronimo and alam1108 like this.
  13. Toklat

It probably doesn't matter a whole lot right at this moment, but if a team hits hard times it is important the players can trust what the coach says. So, if someone outplays DLO and he has to make that switch? You don't think it is going to rub DLO the wrong way? or be a bit embarrassing for him? IMO it is not nit picking, these are the type of things coaches have to think about. Us fans not so much. It is possible he talked to the players ahead of time, if so cool, but that seemed pretty off the cuff.

ZenMaster likes this.
  14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Consistency in messaging and policies.

Think about your workplace and how you would react if they changed promotion criteria every couple of months?

15. Barnstable

I’m pretty sure he didn’t tell anyone else they were going to start, or say the starting PG and SG are up for grabs in free agency. Players know what they have to do to earn that spot. I also don’t think he’s suggesting Dlo or Austin or anyone not names AD or LeBron can’t play their way out of a starting spot.

I don’t understand where you’re coming from on thinking he’s mislead anyone or your example of Dlo getting mad if Ham replaced him as a starter. Any and every player thinks they’re good enough to start, and would be mad if replaced as a starter. Why would this situation be any different? Ham said they’re starting. Nothing he said suggests that can’t change if someone else blows him away.

Wino likes this.
  16. Toklat

We are getting way off my point. All I was saying is this is a complete 180 on his coaching philosophy. We are winning the championship and beyond Ham saying one thing and doing another I like him. Enjoy media day.

Barnstable likes this.
  17. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

18. LTLakerFan

LOL …. we keep telling Zen he’s crazy for loving this guy so much.

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

19. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

[​IMG]

alam1108 and TIME like this.
  20. Toklat

I thank Rob every day. He made it difficult for Ham to put out as bad of rosters as last season.