Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, kuzma at backup center was his idea...because there really weren't other options. it's like if i give you a fork and knife to eat ice cream, and you choose the fork, and i'm like: d****** eating ice cream with a fork!

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

My memory is a bit different fam. We had Zu and Moe to open up the season and a few weeks into the season the Chan man also came on board.

Listen I was a huge Luke apologist last year, then a member here, @bfc1125roy started pointing out how Luke was running a very basic offense. It was more than just the Puke rhetoric, so I listened and it made sense. Cranjis would also sprinkle stats that didn’t paint Luke in a favorable light.

https://www.bball-index.com/luke-walton-lame-duck/

I recalled Luke even admitting that he was running very basic sets due to the injuries we endured last season...so if you pair that with what others have criticized Luke for, it all started to make sense that Luke wasn’t going to be the guy moving forward.

Luke did have obstacles that were outside his control and I do feel that he didn’t get a fair shake in that regard....but the leaks (my guess was his assistants) was enough to just walk away from the Luke experience.

We wanted to play fast," Walton said. "... [And] the vision was offensively be a team that ran a lot of pistols and dribble drags and delays so we can get the ball moving side to side, built around the idea that we have these guys that are used to having the ball in their hands.

"So we either take turns iso-ing every time or we get to where we move the ball and they naturally get the ball moving and going through them occasionally in the flow of the offense. That was the original plan."
    Walton is running a diet version of his playbook and relying on some guys who, when the roster is full, fill the end of his bench.

"With who we have due to our injuries, it's very specific and it's very, 'Hey, with this group we are running these three plays,'" Walton said Saturday before outlasting Phoenix on Sunday. "They are basic NBA sets, but we need that structure. Rondo [just returned and] hasn't been out there with one of the groups, and these guys haven't played together all season.

"When LeBron comes back, we are not just going to run 'floppy side' with LeBron. So it will start to change again."

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

zu was unplayable early in that year. moe was a rookie and was also not good. those are knives.

as for the rest, i'll leave it to the amateur tacticians. luke was in charge of a team that overperformed defensively, and maybe overperformed overall, tbh. people pine for our castoffs due to their big stats while they continue to lose with frequency and intensity. should all coaches be fired?

again, i was fine with moving on from luke; i'm not sure how he could have recovered here, anyway. i just don't think his stint here meant he was a bad coach. i don't think sac is a good measuring stick either with it being a perennial s***show in the front office. he made his bed there, though.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

7. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    The Kings have regressed under Walton...I think he is due to get fired after the season.

8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...it has been thrown out that Walton due to get fired DURING the season.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, is the kings' roster really underperforming? luke made a mistake taking that job. should have ty lue-d it as an assistant and let people forget about his time with the lakers, then taken a higher profile job with a better organization (which would be, like, almost any of them).

trodgers and sirronstuff like this.
  10. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^I can't really say they are under performing because they DEFINITELY overachieved last year.

I think last year isn't a fair representation of this team's talent...you have Fox, Hield and actually not much else...guys like Bogdanovic or Bijelica etc. don't move the needle.

With that said...when you fire a coach and sign a new one and the team is actually much worse than last year, I think its fair to say they are under performing. How do you justify switching the coach?

Also Bagley turned into a dud. Imagine what if they had picked Luca...

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

You can’t just keep firing coaches when fox and Hield are your best players.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    Unless you make them to max or almost max players lol.

Because they did that with Buddy...so obviously they expect something out of it (justified or not).

13. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

The kings roster is better than the grizzlies though - and that's where they expected themselves to be - the 8th seed.

I think it's Luke that is the problem...not the players.

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I recently let go of the domain fireluke.com since it no longer applied to me as a Laker fan, but I bet I could’ve sold it for some good money

:Laugh:

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

16. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Well being a queens coach must affect your mental health.

KB24, sirronstuff and gcclaker like this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

That's a really solid get for his bench. And he chose Luke over Doc :LLLLLebronlaughing:

He probably knows there's a better chance of inheriting the team in Sacramento over Philly, too. I'm sure that played a role.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

gentry seems like a guy who cares more about the working relationship than the firepower on the roster. he can help luke, i think. luke's always needed veteran assistants. i think one of his biggest issues here was stacking the bench with equally or even less experienced guys. like that mermuys character or whatever.

Juronimo and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  19. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I think he had that problem with us. His assistants were not that good. He strikes me kind of like Jimmy Buss does, names his drinking buddies to be his help.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right, and we let him. we shouldn't have. we probably overcorrected by forcing kidd on vogel, but we should have done something like that with walton, imo.

Wino, Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.