Byron Scott Discussion 2015-16 - FIRED!!! (PAGE 172)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, Jul 15, 2015.

1. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Well, I think it is "interesting" too. I'm not sure if it's interesting in a good way. He should definitely play the 3. 4 is truly pushing it.

sirronstuff and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

What's interesting is Kevin saying that Scott thinking of other ways he could utilize Kobe; even Scott mentioning that is as Kevin points out could be a possibility of Scott evolving and thinking of other ways to use players on our team to get them in the best possible position to win games. So, if by example, that means going small in certain instances, I think Scott will be more open to it than in seasons past.

therealdeal and Chillbongo like this.
  3. karacha

Yeah, I guess that's a positive, because people say that Byron is a little... rigid, unable to change his ways. It's good that he wants to try different things. That was a positive for MDA. He wasn't the right coach for the Lakers, but at least the guy experimented with an injury-depleted team. I am just afraid that Kobe is going to get hurt again, and then his career is done for sure. That's not the way to go for Kobe. But the SF position - he can play it without any problems in today's NBA.

therealdeal likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Will believe Kobe at the 4 is sometime option when I see it.....

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. LaVarBallsDad

There might be a big picture involved w/Byron's line of thinking here; be more flexible and step out side of his comfort zone instead of sticking to what he knows which hasn't worked in his coaching tenure in the last 2 stops. That's the point. Try new things; go small in certain instances, try certain lineups, certain rotations, certain schemes that other teams are running and are successful at, etc.

I've criticized Byron as much as anyone on this site. Nevertheless, if he's successful coaching, then our team will be successful sooner than I think we all speculate right now. If Ding is right about his hunch about Byron, then it's a step in the right direction. Kobe running the 4? I don't think so. Byron being more open to new things, that's quite possible, and I hope it's true. I really do...

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Kobe running the four only works I suppose in a reactionary sort of way and then only if it's the same way that Draymond Green plays the five for the Warriors. If the Warriors go small and we react with Kobe at the four, I'll somewhat understand. Say they go to a lineup of Curry/Klay/Livingston/Barnes/Green or something, then okay I guess Kobe at the four isn't a stretch (heh... pun...) and we could respond with something like Russell/Clarkson/Young/Kobe/Randle... I'm not entirely comfortable with that, but at least it makes a little sense.

Out of context though it sure sounds dumb with Kobe at the four. I guess that's where the NBA is at right now though.

7. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    positionless basketball is streetball

8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Is that really you Kareem? Wow!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    It depends on how we run the motion style offense. He may be the "4" but not in any semblance of the traditional "4". I could see a small ball line up of Williams, Russell, Clarkson, Kobe and Hibbert out there for 3 to 5 minute stretches if the matchups work. Pop has done similar things in SA over the years.

10. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Golly yall must be bored trying to keep this topic going lol. Respect.

It's the off season yall, summer ball just passed and pre season is looming.

Smoke is gonna be blown, teams gonna play(schemes) and act(management) vanilla IMO. Don't worry I've been sitting back checking in every morning daily. Love the direction. Cheers Kobe, I'm not betting against you just yet.

P.S- Getting a Kobe jersey soon. Do I go throwback rookie year jersey,or new style 8 or 24?

I'm leaning towards throwback, just cause the time frame and feel they're very rare to see someone rocking it. Speaking of which, are we allowed to wear a Kobe jersey with a pair of J's lol?

11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I'm jealous that you got those CL emoticons!:envy:

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. karacha

He needs to upload that emoticon pack for us.

[​IMG]

Battle Tested20 and sirronstuff like this.
  13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Change is good, but we need to keep something from CL alive and well. That should be the emotions/smilies

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. LaVarBallsDad

therealdeal likes this.
  15. therealdeal

Great interview. I know everyone hates Byron, but I still like him as a person. He's not perfect at all as a coach but I like him as a straight shooter. There's not enough straight shooters anymore.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  16. karacha

Well, I don't think anyone hates him as a person... the truth is, none of us really know the guy. He's honest, he works hard, he loves the Lakers and has won championships for us as a player. He is simply not that good of a coach, that's all. Not many people hate him at all, we would just like to have a better coach someday. I guess after having Riley and Phil, it is difficult to find someone who can follow in their footsteps.

17. therealdeal

That's more or less what I meant. But there definitely is a large contingent of fans that just plain don't like the guy.

18. LaVarBallsDad

I came away encouraged by the interview

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst

I don't know why I never really thought about it from this angle, but it makes me even more glad we're going to be going back to Hawaii for our training camps. It does force our team to hang out together more to bond, grow, and build the cohesive team.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Not making excuses for Byron but I do know when you are a coach with a team that doesn't have the talent to compete, like our depleted roster last year, you do things you wouldn't normally do. You try anything you can to make your team competitive. Play people out of position, different offensive sets.. anything. Not to mention some players were being put on audition for this year. With a much better roster and hopefully fewer injuries we will see a totally different situation and coach. All the sudden Byron will start to look like a pretty good coach again.