Byron Scott Discussion 2015-16 - FIRED!!! (PAGE 172)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Not that I believe it :). Kobe at the 3? I could see that...

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Not really, that's as r******* as Mike Dan Tony running him for 40+ minutes when he was 35 until he snapped his achilles.

LTLakerFan and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

Yeah, I don't believe it for a second. Byron isn't that dense...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I suspect Byron likes to say things like that to see if he can get a rise from the media. Or he just likes to speak in hyperbole. There's literally zero reason to play Kobe at the 4 this season or ever. We've got a bunch of 4s already and an old Kobe is not exactly the kind of guy I want playing the four.

5. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

What if we're playing the Cavs who go small :smirk:

Mo - Russell
    Kyrie - Clarkson
    Shumpert - Young
    LeBron - Kobe
    Love - whoever

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Worst defensive units for both squads (outside of Shump)...first to 150? They'd get there in about half the time we would.

If he plans on using him at the 4, where we're already stacked, I guess he and Madsen will take turns at the 3, where we have no one worth noting.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Why do we keep hiring coaches that like to say and do some of the stupidest things imaginable?

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Kobe at PF :rofl::rofl::rofl:

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Kobe playing the... what... are we really discussing...

[​IMG]

10. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Yeah...like the "beating the dog" comment. Next up: Sacre to spell Russell at point.

LTLakerFan, therealdeal and Juronimo like this.
  11. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Well of course. Someone's got to play the 4 because with only Randle, Bass, Black, Kelly, and Nance at the 4, it's pretty obvious that we are gonna need to slide our starting 2 guard over to the 4. I just wish we hadn't failed to sign our starting 4 this off season. You know the big FA we wiffed on:

[​IMG]

12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I often ask myself the same question while drinking myself into a stupor.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Kobe at the three for stretches sounds like a good plan to me. But yeah, he definitely lost me completely with the "Kobe at the 4" comment. That's something I never want to see.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  14. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

The only way I can make any sense of the Kobe at the 4 comment is if Randle is at the 3. Kobe puts Randle and all of our other 4's to shame in the post, and is a better rebounder than Randle, possibly Bass, and Kelly, not sure about Nance yet. Randle or Bass would have to guard the opposing PF. If Kobe doesn't have the legs to get the lift he needs to get his jumper off, putting him in the post actually makes sense. Bass has a respectable jumper, and Randle seems to be working hard on his.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

in 72 days, we will see Kobe play the 4 in the 1st game of pre season

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  16. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

Maybe it's premature and it'll end up paying off later, but the "loyalty" approach they took with Kobe and now Byron seem to be costing us. They had no way of knowing Kobe wouldn't be able to get healthy, but we kept reading how showing the rest of the league how we treat our Superstars would help us recruit other Superstars in FA. So far that has been an absolute bust. As for Byron, they're staying loyal to him by giving him a shot to coach a (hopefully) healthy team. There wasn't a single positive to take out of his first season, overall subpar coaching, his refusal to adapt to analytics or the rest of the modern NBA, If his assistants are any reflection of Byron, this season with so much potential to start a turnaround is going to end up a massive disappointment. We just got 1 of the best overall defensive bigs in the league, and we're going to give Byron a shot when Thibs is just sitting there for the taking. We could have a great defensive coach getting the most out of Hibbert, not to mention turning our young guys into stud defenders. Instead we'll settle for another coach that noone wants when they finally decide Byron has had his fair shot.

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    It's not premature. It's just the Lakers subtly saying, we know we can't win right now, so we will keep the fans happy by getting Kobe to put butts in seats and a legacy hire everyone loves and will give two years based on status not production.

If they were serious about winning, I mean really serious they could compete, you get best available at any position, even coaching. It doesn't matter how many coaches you've gone through or what the perception is. If Thibs is that guy, you go get him because like you said, this team (In an odd way) is suited for Thibs.

18. LaVarBallsDad

Washington Wizards forward Jared Dudley said that respect is also shared behind closed doors. During an appearance on The Lowe Post Podcast with Grantland's Zach Lowe, Dudley fielded a question about which coach he would most want to play for. Dudley listed Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers first, but didn't waste much time before turning the conversation to Stevens.

"I've been hearing great things about Brad Stevens – that's the buzz going around the league now," Dudley said. "Players, ex-players. I played with Jerryd Bayless, who played with him. Just some guys that have played with him. He obviously back then was a rookie coach, but he was coaching like a vet. He knew when to give rest to the guys; not to be in practice too long; his Xs and Os; his confidence he instilled in players – he was playing a lot of different guys. He just knew it. Some people just get it at a young age. As you saw with (Steve) Kerr, he had a great team, but Kerr got it. He knows when to make adjustments. He knows. I keep hearing the buzz on (Stevens) a lot. He'd definitely be in my top two or three (coaches to play for)."

http://www.masslive.com/C Bags/index.ssf/2015/07/jared_dudley_nba_players_buzzi.html

Ainge nailed the Stevens hire; I don't think the majority of players are saying this about Scott. It's quite sad. We have to keep him away from free agents in meetings, we have to watch his horrific Princeton offense that he's been trying and failing to run since 02 in New Jersey; we have to deal with his high school training camp that incorporates suicides.

Then I hear this about Stevens. A coach so young, so smart, and players already buzzing about him; their saying such positive glowing things; then I look at our sideline and see Scott...

XXIV likes this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Whoa...whoa...whoa. Actually there was "one" (all I'm saying) major, huge positive going forward that personally, with health, I can't wait to see with some real talent on the floor this year ...... not just our shining bright spot from last season, Jordan Clarkson, with Byron's excellent "Stealth Tank" having to always be factored into the equation:

They "competed" like mothers

20. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    This is what I think as well. I'm not especially thinking about the coach but more about the players. BS had nothing to work with. That team last year was horrible.

I think the organization is desperate for their next "face of the franchise". They seem to be willing to do anything to get it to keep butts in seats and get the ratings moving up in the sliding scale of their TV contract. To me they seem disinterested in building through FA/Draft if it isn't the "top name in FA".

Hibbert met one criteria over all others for this team. He helped them get to the minimum number with an expiring contract. He may be a building piece for the future but I think that isn't what was running through their head when they got him. It meant they didn't have to sign 3 year contracts to get to the minimum after LA ran for SA.

I really don't have much of an opinion on Scott either way. Given a good group I think he will do just fine. Given crap he won't. That's 26 coaches in the league. He does fit the MO of putting a "family member" in the house too.

revgen likes this.