Byron Scott Discussion 2015-16 - FIRED!!! (PAGE 172)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Saw on Twitter yesterday that Byron was quoted as saying something along the lines of, "If I had known my job was on the line for wins, I would have played the vets more."

I love that this is in the NBA discussion because that means I can just say happy you are gone douche. Good riddance. We have a coach that wants to bring out the full potential of the young guys and sees that they are our best players and best chance at winning so.........

[​IMG]

lakerjones, Weezy, JSM and 7 others like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG]

What a sad song bYRON. The Lakers were so unfair in judging you on wins AND lack of development of players or any discernible system. How dare they not think you are the best coach ever, when you are in fact the worst.

lakerjones, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Stay classy Boron

lakerjones likes this.
  4. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Is he that delusional? Byron YOU PLAYED THE VETS THE ENTIRE f***ING SEASON AND WHAT DID THAT DO TO HELP US. f*** YOU PIECE OF HOT GARBAGE.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Byron Scott still rues not playing his Laker veterans more
    Kelly Dwyer,Ball Don't Lie 1 hour 51 minutes ago
    [​IMG]When NBA coaches remind the press that they “never read what you people write” or that they don’t pay attention to that “stuff,” meaning “rumors,” it’s often hard to believe them. Yes, there is a lot of game tape to break down and meetings to attend, but don’t they at least have some passing interest in what’s happening around the league, and how its participants view their team?

[Follow Dunks Don't Lie on Tumblr:The best slams from all of basketball]

With deposed former Laker coach Byron Scott, though, we kind of believe the guy.

(Though, since moving back to Los Angeles, he must have changed his habits.)

In an interview with the Los Angeles Daily News, Scott claims that he was taken aback and “thrown for a loop” by Los Angeles’ decision to decline to pick up the option on the third year of his four-year deal, keeping in mind a conversation he had with Laker brass back in 2014 about seeing out at the very least a three-year plan:

“If I knew this was coming, I would have played Lou [Williams], Brandon [Bass] and guys like that a whole lot more,” Scott said, referring to his veterans in an interview with this newspaper. “They gave me the best chance to win.”

[…]

“I wasn’t going to sell myself; that’s just not me. But I did bring up the fact that I thought I had at least another year with our discussions that this would be hard the first two or three years,” Scott said. “They asked if I was all right with it and I said, ‘Yeah I am. But are you guys?’ The answer back to me was, ‘Yeah, because we knew this would be tough and it would take a while.’”

This is all very nutty.

For background, undersized forward Brandon Bass had a solid, workmanlike year at age 30. He didn’t start a game, but played 20 minutes a contest while contributing over seven points and four rebounds a night. Hybrid guard Williams took a little while to come around, but he finished his season averaging over 15 points on 41 percent shooting, starting 35 out of 67 contests and playing 28 minutes a night.

Williams, much to Laker fans’ consternation, started a major chunk of games between December and February, with Los Angeles going 8-27 in his run. Los Angeles was a better basketball team with the 29-year old in the backcourt, but even the daffiest of Laker fans knew that the agenda for 2015-16 included marveling at Kobe Bryant’s final season, losing as many games as possible so as to ensure that the team keeps its draft pick (if it falls out of the top three of the draft in the NBA’s draft lottery, the Philadelphia 76ers take over its rights), while giving the team’s youngsters chances to develop (and screw up) on a public stage.

Screw up they did: D’Angelo Russell spent most of his rookie season shooting below 40 percent, ostensible rookie Julius Randle (who played all of seven minutes in 2014-15 before suffering a season-ending injury) had his growing pains, and second-year guard Jordan Clarkson still has a lot to figure out. Still, that’s typical for any player working at their ages – be they future Hall of Famers or future entrants in a ‘Top 25 NBA Draft Busts’ slideshow.

Russell and Randle don’t figure to be showing up in any of those slideshows based on the early returns, and while their Hall of Fame status isn’t yet assured, somehow they made it out of 2015-16 not hating life as a Laker following Scott’s last season with the team. The former NBA Coach of the Year yanked them in and out of the starting lineup while repeatedly failing to communicate, directly to them in private, just why.

Byron Scott deserves the bashing he’s taken and will take in the wake of a publicity tour that also included radio spots and appearances on ESPN. His outmoded ways held both the Cleveland Cavalier (though that team’s “win a ring before LeBron!”-obsessed front office didn’t help) and Laker rebuilding processes back, and he appears no more cognizant of his missteps than he was before taking either job.

Still, bashing on Byron Scott is easy; we’ve done it as much as anyone else, so we should know.

What comes next – for Russell, Randle, and Clarkson – is the real development stage. The Lakers hired a coach in Luke Walton that franchises were absolutely falling all over themselves to corral, and freed from the excuses that Kobe’s 21.5 shots per 36 minutes and Scott’s presence provided, the triptych needs to take a major step forward in 2016-17 and beyond.

Byron Scott can only salt the fields for so long. It’s true that it will be tough for Russell (and, let’s be honest, Randle) to run a rookie season all over again under Luke Walton, just as it will be just as difficult for Walton to extricate his young players from their bad habits.

Realizing just how many of these bad habits were due to Byron Scott’s tutelage will be entirely up to the Lakers’ young core. The NBA won’t have Byron Scott to kick around anymore, and the players he left behind now need to dig in.

Byron's still acting like he was not any of the problem....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/...laying-his-laker-veterans-more-165231977.html

lakerjones, Cookie and Weezy like this.
  6. Lakers2015

Dude is delusional. D'Angelo, JC, and Julius gave us the best opportunity to win. Moron. We're so lucky he's gone.

7. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I think the best part of that entire article is that Boron is writing a book...and the title is full of irony...."For the Win"...for the win? Are you serious? Here are some more appropriate book titles for ya Drill Sergeant:

-Blindsided
    -How to teach Grit
    -17 (for how many wins he managed this year)
    -How to make wood on the bench talk
    -One More Year (how he thought he deserved another year)
    -Loyalty: Why it should exist in the workplace

Sirron you got anything else? Lol.

8. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

When Mitch and Jim told Byron that they understood that this would "take a while", they were talking about 30 wins here. 40 wins there. A young lottery team learning how to win. Not a west coast version of the Washington Generals.

9. Lakers2015

Yep. If we could've won say 25 or 26 games last season and won 34 or 35 this season Byron would probably still have a job and there's no reason that couldn't have happened. The Knicks won 32 games this season. You telling me this team wasn't at least as good as them? How many games did we blow because of his moronic substitutions or his Kobe/Lou is offense. At least ten. Maybe more.

lakerjones, Cookie, revgen and 2 others like this.
  10. fabfourlakers

Yeah nobody was expecting playoffs Boron. What we expected was steady growth and development of our young core....sprinkled in with wins here and there. None of those things happened, and now because of you, our young core has to start from scratch next year. But hey, better late than never.

Also, I like how in the Bleacher Report interview that he did, when they asked him about his other stints in NJ, New Orleans, and CLEVELAND....he decided to only talk about NJ and New Orleans, and completely ignored his time in Cleveland....he was comparing NJ and New Orleans to LA when he shoudl have been talking about how bad he was in Cleveland too...which was more recent than his time in NJ and New Orleans. He loves to prop himself up and it's hilarious just how hypocritical he is.

11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Byron's best course of action below, but he won't do it.

[​IMG]

12. fabfourlakers

@sirronstuff I knew he wouldn't stay quiet for long..slowly but surely he's coming out with jabs to the Lakers and the roster he was given. It's going to make it so much sweeter when we're winning games again and our youth is developing at the pace we thought they would last year. The best way to prove Boron wrong is to go out there and kill it. I hope the young bucks are listening to his comments right now....and I actually hope they say nothing back to him....I hope they don't respond to anything he says. The best response is let your game do the talking.

Cookie, sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

My goodness he is clueless. Every time he opens his mouth he shows why he deserved to be fired. He should have played Lou more!? LOL. Man I'm glad this clown is gone, I don't think I could have watched next season with him as coach unless we landed Durant somehow.

14. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

to quote the great Motley Crue song: Dont Walk Away Mad, Just Away

whatever tiny speck of good feeling i had left for Byron is gone

lakerjones, Cookie, Weezy and 3 others like this.
  15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

So glad he is gone. He's absolutely delusional.

lakerjones, Cookie, Weezy and 4 others like this.
  16. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    What a Boron. Good riddance.

lakerjones, Cookie, Weezy and 3 others like this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

Scott is crazier than a bald Britney with an umbrella. His ESPN day was a riot full of delusional madness. He was on SportsCenter for nearly 20 minutes, first talking about the Lakers and then breaking down the playoffs. So glad he's not poisoning the Lakers pool any longer.

lakerjones, Cookie, Weezy and 7 others like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Boron "breaking down" the playoffs ?
    [​IMG]

"The teams with the most grit are winning and maybe there is something to 3 point shooting being useful ....who knew .... look at Cleveland [​IMG] ".

lakerjones and Cookie like this.
  19. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Boron has lost his god damn mind.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the only time he really pulled back on bass/lou was at the very end of the season. so, he's lamenting not winning 3-4 more games (this is assuming the insane premise that playing them MORE would have led to wins)? just so much stupidity here.

Byron is the Dunning Effect writ large. the irony here being that he's trying to enhance his future prospects, but in reality, he's absolutely destroying his chance to be hired again. because what we want is the guy who led two of the worst teams in recent memory, in consecutive stints, and who will trash his former employers on the way out. gotta give it up to his consistency, though. he's showing a gritty, never give up attitude towards his abject public failure.

go terrorize some middle school girls' squad, Byron. you're done here.

Weezy, revgen, Cookie and 2 others like this.