Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i havent discredited him this season, i said he took the $ to go to a team that didn't fit him, thats hating?

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

you been trying to discredit BI #S even before that guy started to argument against the trade, more so cause you want to be right on your assessment that hes no star n probably wont ever be

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Said he’d never be nearly as good as AD. He’s not.

4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I don’t know. I don’t know what hating is. Your post was just bizarrely times and placed. Seemed almost...like dumping on a dude for no reason.

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

that plus that he'll never be a star but to your credit your devalue ALL the former lakers cause they're not "winning"

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i said he didnt consider his career advancement by signing with gsw, when klay n steph come back dlo will be 3rd on the totem pole, you dont see that happening?

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

1. i devalued them when they were lakers because they weren't winning.
    2. they're not. like any of them. this should be considered useful data, sorry.

8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

well that's the thing with BI and lonzo. they just can't win you games

they need a star to play with. maybe NO will win more consistently with zion there (assuming he's as good as advertised) but even with BI playing lights out and lonzo looking decent the pels are losing every night. remember before lebron went down last season they were playing well but without that star they just couldn't get the job done

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right. my initial claim here was that he looked an awful lot like the guy we had last year.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3913176/type/nba/year/2019

peep the last month prior to the injury, starting in mid-january. good stats, solid play, not translating to victories.

when all those things converge, people can talk to me about how things have changed. i see more of the same. i thought he was comically undervalued in trade talks, btw. jayson tatum isn't a better basketball player than ingram. neither are or will be superstars. i stand by it.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

n if we took james off this team, would they still be winning?

Sentient Meat likes this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    this topic is far more lively than I would have ever predicted

He's a hard working kid and I hope the best for him. Unlike some others not still with us, I'd be ok with bringing him home at some point.

Cookie, LTLakerFan, KB24 and 5 others like this.
  12. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I think compaing BI to AD is kind of absolutely pointless because he isn't as good and will never be as good.

This could be relevant retrospectively to see whether we overpaid...

At some point in the near future BI, Lonzo, Hart and the gazillion of picks and swaps might seem like too much for a player that was bound to leave anyways and his team had little leverage. We didn't either because LeBron's clock was ticking out and the Lakers simply HAD TO get him, so I get that too.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  13. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

I've gone from thinking BI will never be as good in any aspect of the game to thinking BI might become better offensively.
    I don't know if it's sustainable, but his eFG, TS is far better than AD right now.
    He's a better iso scorer and he's still only 22. Might become better from range.
    Defensively, no.
    Offensively, the jury's out at this point.

14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Load management or injured... again?

abeer3 likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  16. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

If BI and Zo can't stay healthy... then the trade becomes a no brainer.
    Though I'm pretty concerned about AD's long term health as well.
    (Maybe Giannis instead?)

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, they didn't stay healthy in la, like less so than AD (and AD played more and was injured less as he aged, the opposite trend of our two).

and again, you make trades with the knowledge you have at the time, not the knowledge you have today. they were both inferior and less available.

18. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

I commented on Ingram's injury because I'm trying to be fair. If I'm going to praise and defend him when he plays well, I also need to comment when something negative happens such as another mysterious injury that comes out of nowhere.
    We don't know what Ingram and Lonzo will become. Part of being a good GM or even armchair GM is projecting where someone will be in a year or two not just commenting on what you see today.
    If I want Siakam now, it takes no skill to make that judgment but if I wanted him two years ago, then that shows some vision and foresight.
    My argument is that we don't know yet who won the trade, and although you can have an opinion on how it might end up, I think it's arrogant to state one's position as an undisputed fact.
    Ingram averaging over 26 points to start the season was a huge plus for him.
    Ingram getting injured again is potentially a huge minus if it's a start of a new trend for the season.
    That was the main knock on giving up the farm for both Kawhi and AD
    Neither are very durable.
    If Kawhi needs load management much longer, it could endanger the Clippers hopes of a title even though they are still good without him.
    You didn't have to worry much about whether LBJ or Jordan would have to play during their careers
    If AD and Kawhi and BI only play 80% of the time their value should be reduced accordingly.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

arrogant, eh?

what i think is that second-guessing stuff due to myriad factors that couldn't have been foreseen is a waste of time.

you always trade for the superstar in his prime in the nba. nobody has been burned by it unless it was extremely unforeseeable bad luck.

the danger is trading for semi-stars or guys past their prime (lots of mistakes made here, ask bkn, for example).

i don't care who ends up "winning" the trade because it depends on factors out of everyone's control. i care about whether it was the right decision at the time, which it most certainly was.

edit: btw, it's why i hated the shaq deal at the time. we gave up the superstar still in his prime (albeit near the end of it), which isn't the position you want to be in, ever. nobody comes out better without divine intervention. it's part of why stars of that caliber simply aren't traded unless they demand it pretty ferociously.

alam1108 and Kenzo like this.
  20. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

As we speak new information has emerged that has perhaps tilted the trade towards the negative side.
    And who knows, maybe soon after we will hear something similar about Ingram.
    My point was you don't know.
    I felt the price was too high and if he's hurt again... maybe it was.
    A lot depends if Kuzma or another consistent third option can emerge from our motley group.