Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Never understood the argument that Ingram holds onto the ball too long. That's only a part of his game. He moves well without the ball as well, and when the team needs a bucket he's quite effective with his ISO game.

2. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

The way he has been responding to this mess of a season is very impressive .

He wants it and he's definetely no mental midget .

Doesn't talk or complain , he just plays .

escobar8, Cookie, TIME and 7 others like this.
  3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    talent not even a modicum of Tatum doe

Cookie, TIME, Savory Griddles and 2 others like this.
  4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

February splits
    Ingram: 21.1 pts 5.8 reb 3.0 ast 49.6 FG% 41.2 3P%
    GOAT: 16.6 pts 6.9 reb 2.0 ast 48.0 FG% 37.9 3P%

JSM, Cookie, TIME and 7 others like this.
  5. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    How bout those advanced metrics though? Traditional stats only have a meaning if generated by Bron or Harem.

On a serious note though - been on the Ingram train from day one and he's been my favorite Laker since we let Randle go. Couldn't be more happy to see him have this great stretch, hope it continues. As somebody already mentioned, it would be fantastic to see our youth in the postseason, I have a feeling Ingram's game would translate the best out of the three.

Cookie, TIME, sirronstuff and 3 others like this.
  6. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Ingram has been on a great streak. Hopefully he can keep it up.

But to talk abou this Mamba mentality etc. is a stretch. Only guy with Mamba mentality is Kuz. Ingram usually lacks the dog. His motor is average and he has so far in his career failed to expand his game. Still can't shoot, still hasn't gained a pound, still isn't aggressive enough, still has a tunnel vision sometimes etc...

He has the tools and he is a good and coachable guy who isn't distracted by anything off-court and is focused. Thats why we love him. But he needs to be way more intense on the court on both ends and he needs to be able to shoot the damn 3 ball with consistency an decent volume.

lakerfan2 and karacha like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

KB, you hold his weight against him like he's not doing everything in his power? I'm the guy who mentioned Mamba mentality partly because of that willingness to just keep grinding and making his handles better and continuing to drive in and absorb contact and get his *** kicked and keep getting better. Gym rat. "FLASHES" of the player he's going to become this whole month. His weight is the biggest thing holding him back but he's a honey badger and doesn't give a **** and keeps picking himself up. Like Kobe with the airballs. In that regard. Do not agree with "average motor and failing to expand his game". No doubt improving as a shooter. Different eye test I guess.

Toklat, tada, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  8. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I am sorry @KB24 but failed to expand his game, are you even serious? He may still be streaky but IMO he has improved a LOT since the draft and added to his game each year. Right now he is one of the most versatile players on the roster, probably No. 2 in that department behind the chosen one.

tada, OmarE, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  9. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Have to respectfully disagree with most of this post. When everyone else was pouting about getting traded, this guy used it as fuel and started playing better. If that’s not Mamba Mentality I don't know what is.

Toklat, LTLakerFan, tada and 3 others like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

bummer that true hoop (henry abbott) is back, but good to hear someone who's had a voice in the national press (thorpe) finally taking up the argument that tatum is ten times as good as anyone we've got. it's just patently false.

11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

To be fair, Kuz's Mamba mentality is more offensive motivated. He tries on defense, but still isn't quite there.

Ingram is more of the quiet side of the Mamba. He just goes about his business and does his job, the focus. We've seen some emotion out of him on a few occasions, but it rarely leads to him catching fire or playing more aggressive.

Intensity just isn't his style, probably won't be. He's more of the Tim Duncan/Kawhi mold if anything.

In terms of his game, his footwork is much, much better than years past. His ability to find his way to the rim has increased his efficiency, before he'd just drive straight into a player. Now he's using his feet and length to maneuver around defenders, and elevating for high quality buckets around the rim. His improved free throw shooting in the last few weeks has also put some confidence in his drive and is no longer hesitant to draw a foul. His midrange still needs work, but his set 3 point shot is improving. Not to compare him to Giannis or anything, but Giannis still can't shoot at all, but that's just because he's so elite around the rim, he doesn't need to.

EIther way, Brandon has been our most consistent young core player thus far. Even if his body language says otherwise, he's put in the work, he's been healthy this season (knock on wood), and he's shown up.

tada, wallangong, alam1108 and 8 others like this.
  12. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I think you guys got me wrong.

I like Ingram. I just don't think he is going to be a Kevin Durant light.

I do think he has improved a lot since entering the NBA. But I also think he wasn't as terrible as he played entering the league. The guy was shooting 30% and couldn't do ANYTHING. He wasn't like that in college.

He has adjusted to the NBA game, speed and physicality. But his handles aren't different, his 3 ball, FT shooting, motor, moves are not much different.

I know he is on a great streak. But it's rather a good player on a great streak than a great player on a good streak.

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

well he's improving something as of late, thats all we'd hope for...at least he's not looking like another Wiggins or suped up Wes Johnson lol

alam1108 likes this.
  14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    This response makes more sense than your first post. I agree with you that at this point BI is a good not great player. But, he is already Kevin Durant lite.

For January and February combined BI is averaging roughly 20ppg / 6rpg / 3.5 apg while shooting over 50%. That's Durant-Lite territory with the emphasis on Lite.

I should add that recently he's been shooting the 3 at over 40% which is even better than Tatum who is probably the best 3 point shooter in NBA history.

15. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

You know that BI shot a better percentage from 3 last year and is neck and neck with Kuz this year also. With BI ahead by a hair.
    If your going to complain about BI’s 3 ball, you can’t say Kuz is better if he shoots worse. If your complaint is about consistency Kuz loses out there also. He takes 6 threes a game and is the definition of streaky.

16. LTLakerFan

Loving LB's retaliatory new era of Tatum jokes!

:Laugh:

17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

The only reason Tatum ever misses is because he feels remorse for his opponents.

18. LTLakerFan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This article doesn't even point out the fact that he was having a pretty good year and just got scorching hot for a few weeks in the playoffs, only to never hit those heights again. He did it in the playoffs which does count for something. It means he's not afraid of the moment. I get that. But it was also really the only part of his career he's being graded on as it pertains to his value in an AD trade package.

20. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, I just don't think he'll have the same effect on offense as KD because KD's jumper is just so good.

I think the comparisons stop at the body, they'll just be forever skinny players, but will still find ways to play with their body.

But also, Ingram is only 21 and steadily improving every year. No one really gave PG or Giannis the time of day until their 4th year, when both made the 20ppg jump. We haven't really seen any of our players through their 4th years except for maybe Randle, but his improvements were minor, still an effective player, but Ju still plays the same way he did coming in to the league.

I think Ingram has the work ethic to still reach his potential if we let him. KD not so much, he's an incredible shooter and scorer, but I think Kawhi level may be in reach for someone like BI, just an all around good player with solid fundamentals and a non showy attitude on the court.