Head Coach Frank Vogel Discussion: The Fall Guy

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 13, 2019.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

2. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

When it comes to defensive assistant coaches, Ron Adams is the next best thing after Tom Thibodeau.

Big Mamma Jamma, DeeZee, Heej and 4 others like this.
  3. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Pay him whatever you have to, to lure him away. You’re already paying Kidd way too much and we don’t even have Zo
    anymore for him to “tutor”.

JSM, Big Mamma Jamma, abeer3 and 8 others like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

And I'm sure not the a-hole grinder of a coach Thibs is either.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  5. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Would be a big time get, not really expecting it to happen though.

Big Mamma Jamma and abeer3 like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

7. Bbbbbb

Bbbbbb - Rookie -

Frank’s philosophy on defense is anchored on the big. Hollins’ is toughness. Adams’ is switching defense? And Kidd, well, he knows how to prevent our time outs from running out.

It’s like you let your daughter be taught by her granddad, her uncles and your best buds on how not to be scored on.

8. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I wonder if Kidd would be a good pg mentor for Dlo?

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

10. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Bonehead move on his part. Worked out just fine for us.

11. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Disclaimer: when it comes to coaching, I'm a lame. I'm basing my opinion on what guys like @bfc1125roy , LFR and Cranjis have said I'm terms of our coaching.

When Lue was out front-runner, we were in talks to have both Vogel and Jkidd on his staff. Not sure if Hollins was part of that type of assembly, but bringing in Lue wouldn't have cost us Vogel. So even if Lue was a health concern, we had a scenario where coaching by committee was a possible solution in that bit Vogel and Jkidd were former head coaches.

Also nearly all the coaching experts agree that Lue was a dope X&O's guy and aside from knowing how to use Bron in an offense, dude was young enough to be relatable to the players (one of the pros that Luke had). And also he can deal with superstar egos..

Which brings us to Mosgov. Remember how Lue swindled our previous FO regime by increasing his value as a title winning center? Well, Lue had it where he knew how to play a big off of Bron.... imagine what he would be able to do with AD playing off Bron.

And we lost dude due to it coming down to 2 more years. I'm sorry, he may regret it, but we also may regret it. I wouldn't mind Lue coaching a Kawhi-AD tandem once Bron exits.

12. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I agree with you but talent trumps coaching to a certain extent. Because when all things being equal (coaching) or fairly close to equal, the talent trumps coaching. Plays usually break down every possession and so the talent to create something is the differentiator. It's why superstars are such a hot commodity. I actually thought Kerr was outcoached by Nick Nurse. Granted, if both teams were healthy, I think GS wins but that is because GS's talent trumps coaching. There is a huge emphasis on coaching when the difference only becomes really stark when you have a middle of the road coach with superior talent vs. a better coach with inferior talent. I guess what I am saying is that it is so close that talent is what makes the difference between a bad to mediocre coach, a good coach and a great one.

In Indy, I thought Vogel did a good job and his players liked him. That team had an inferior roster to the Cavs. But, the Pacers played tough D, knew where to be and executed very well. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with Vogel. Vogel's job is to get the players to buy in. If they do they'll be really good.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. vasashi17

I agree that superstars are always the priority....but coaching maximizes it. Kawhi could load manage due to Nurse keeping them afloat.

Pop continues to have the Spurs exceed expectations (see Kawhi, DeJounte, Gay, Gasol injuries).

With Bron aging and it being necessary to make the offense more efficient, it was a bad look to not have the possibility of a Lue/Vogel pairing based off not offering a couple more years to his deal, especially with the Lakers being the gold mine they are.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Not debating the value of coach vs coach necessarily, but in my opinion Vogel came out looking so much smarter than Lue in this. Vogel could have died on the same hill as Lue asking for more years, but instead had the foresight to know the Lakers were likely going to make big moves this summer. So he bet on himself for 3 years. Good look by him.

I happen to like Vogel, but I really wanted a Lue/Vogel pairing. It's too bad that Lue wasn't willing to take the 3 year deal, but I'm feeling very happy with the staff we've accumulated. If we can nail down this last assistant and an official shooting coach, I'll be ecstatic.

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Ron Adams would be a huge get.

But who's our offensive guru? Bron? Kyrie?

I see a lot of defensive brain power on the bench, but little offensive presence.

16. LTLakerFan

Kidd. He's offensive. :giggle: :clap:

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I think lebron and AD makes you a respectable offense with a monkey coaching. Let's become a top 5 defense.

18. vasashi17

Exactly!

For as much as everybody makes out for AD's health and Bron's age...if Kawhi is in the fold you want to completely insure that type of investment (see the dubs this year). How about load managing and devising something clever on offense so they don't have to work so hard? And obviously the more efficient an offense, the more defensive energy that is available.

Vogel could be nice.. but some of yall understand that it would have been Lue and Vogel if not for the contract terms. Why play hard ball on that and forcing to put JKidd on the staff if AD via Ball was the endgame and you're basing your offense on a Bron-AD duo (till Kawhi is a certainty), meaning Kidd mentors who exactly?

Based off his defensive resume, I like the Adams interest for sure...but with Vogel and Hollins's pedigree, where's the offense? And this is coming from me... a guy that looks at defense as an absolute premium.

Big Mamma Jamma and Bbbbbb like this.
  19. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

I prefer Vogel and Hollins. Vogel is better than Lue. Besides, assistant coaches are assistant coaches. Who cares.

20. LTLakerFan

Vogel seems a confident and easy to like guy so the players will listen. He stated frankly that he spent his recent off time studying the league as it is now and rethinking or retooling his past methods. He's no dummy so let's see what we get. LeBron will be changing 60-80% of any coaches plans anyway so there's that too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019